This chicken pot pie is hearty, warming, full of holiday flavor and is topped with a mashed potato “crust”.
For Pot Pie Filling
- 3 pieces Chicken Breast Raw, diced small
- 1/2 cup Celery, diced
- 1/2 cup Carrots, diced (or frozen)
- 1 medium Onion, diced
- 2 tsp Garlic, minced
- 1 cup Green beans, cut and frozen
- 8oz can Coconut Milk
- 2 tbsp Poultry Seasoning
- 1 tsp Dried Rosemary’
- 1 tbsp Ghee
For Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds Golden Potatoes
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt/Pepper to taste
For Pot Pie Filling
- In a medium sized pot, heat up 1 tbsp ghee over medium high heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic and saute for about 5 minutes or until vegetables soften.
- Add in raw diced chicken breast along with green beans, poultry seasoning, rosemary, salt and pepper and saute in together for another 5 minutes or until all chicken is opaque.
- Add in coconut milk, stir together and simmer over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through. The mixture of vegetables and chicken plus the liquid in the coconut milk should be enough to simmer without burning. If the filling looks like there is not enough liquid to simmer, add water in 1/4 cup increments. It is also ok if the liquid has a thin broth consistency as potatoes will be added to thicken it.
For Mashed Potato Crust
- In a large pot, boil 6-8 quarts of water.
- Rinse then chop each potato into large chunks. I personally leave the skin on, but if you dont prefer it, peel each potato before boiling.
- Boil potatoes for 25-35 minutes or until cooked through. The timing will depend on how big your potato pieces are.
- Strain potatoes and add to a large bowl. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder and ghee.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes into a rustic chunky mash being sure to make sure spices and ghee are evenly distributed.
To Bring It All Together
- Take pot pie mixture off heat and stir in 1/3 of rustic potato mixture. This will thicken up the mixture without using any creams or thickeners. Feel free to use more or less potato to get the desired pot pie filling consistency.
- Add filling to a large casserole dish or meal prep containers and top with the remaining mashed potato mix.
- If you decide to put it in the casserole dish, you can place it under the broiler for a couple minutes to create a more of a brown crust effect on the top.
For Paleo Option: Use Avocado or Olive Oil in place of Ghee