Ever since I’ve delved into the world of Whole 30, I have been super conscious about beans and legumes. I used to eat these things in large quantities thinking that they were good for me because they were so filling and high in fiber. Turns out, they may have an effect on increasing my estrogen levels as beans and legumes are actually pretty high in them!
Long story short, my moods around that “time of the month” and overall lady symptoms have lightened up. Of course this doesn’t mean that this is right for everyone or that it is the cause of this, but it is reason enough to make more things bean free like my go-to sweet potato chili.
I’ve been making sweet potato chili for a long time, especially in my #vegan days. I’ve even made it for Neil Diamond back when I was living in Hawaii and was also way cooler than I am now (true story).
Like most of my recipes, I hadn’t written it down and always kind of wing it and it
Sweet Potato Chili | Bean Free
This sweet potato chili is bean free always turns out great. It’s so versatile, customizable and makes at least 6 meals of nutrient dense food per batch.
- 1 Med Onion Diced
- 1 Large Bell Pepper (any color)
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Med Sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 pound Grass Fed Ground Beef
- 1 Can Diced Tomato (28oz)
- 1 Can Tomato Sauce (15oz)
- 1 Can Tomato Paste (6oz)
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Chili Flake
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper to taste
- Dice onion, garlic, bell pepper and sweet potato
- Heat up olive oil in pan (if using crockpot) or stock pot and add garlic and onion and cook for about 5 minutes to soften
- Add ground beef and stir until it is mostly cooked through
FOR CROCK POT
- Add cooked beef and onion mixture and all remaining ingredients including spices into a crockpot and cook for 4 hours on HIGH or 6 to 8 hours on LOW making sure the sweet potatoes are cooked through.
FOR STOCK POT
- Add all remaining ingredients to stock pot and stir. Bring chili to a boil and then back down to a low simmer for about 2 hours or until the sweet potatoes are cooked through
** SPICE MIXTURE CAN BE CUSTOMIZED TO YOUR LIKING
Thyme and JOY is a parnter with the Whole30 Approved program. For more information about the Whole30 reset and Personal chef services in charleston check out these links: