These Zucchini Taco boats make a great low carb vessel for all your taco needs.
When I first saw recipes with food shoved into hollowed out tacos, I was very skeptical. I wasn’t sure that a zucchini could ever take the place of a taco shell or a shell for anything. But, we have turned zucchini into noodles, so I guess there are many powers at hand.
These zucchini taco boats are made with a filling that consists of beef, pepper, onion, zucchini insides and a bit of almond flour to bring it together which helps making it nice and crispy while it’s on the final bake.
If you have no dietary restrictions, try these zucchini taco boats with some cheese and sour cream!
ZUCCHINI TACO BOATSPrint
- 6 Zucchini
- 1/2 Red Onion Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1.5 pounds Ground Beef
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350
- Cut the tops off each zucchini and cut down the middle lengthwise
- On a non stick baking sheet, place zucchini flesh side down and bake for 20-15 minutes or until zucchini starts to soften
- In the meantime, heat oil in a pan and add onions and pepper and saute until onions are translucent. Add ground beef and taco seasoning and saute until meat is cooked through
- Once zucchini boats are cooled down, take a spoon and scrape out the flesh and seeds of each zucchini half and save the the flesh
- Chop the insides of the zucchini until it forms a chunky paste. Add it to a bowl with the ground beef mixture and half cup of almond flour.
- Stir ingredients together until combined and stuff into the zucchini boats packing tightly.
- Put each zucchini boat back on the baking sheet flesh side up and broil for 3-5 minutes or until tops are browned and crispy.
- Add chopped cilantro on top and serve with Whole 30 compliant salsa.
Valerie Skinner is a Whole30 approved personal chef & recipe developer that bridges the gap between healthy eating and busy lives by providing simple healthy meals and recipes for you and your family.
Thyme and JOY is a parnter with the Whole30 Approved program. For more information about the Whole30 reset and Personal chef services in Charleston check out these links: