What is an air fryer? An air fryer cooks food using convection with dry heat using air circulation that gives food a crispy fried texture without the excessive use of oil.
Health-conscious kitchen appliances are becoming all the rage these days. The latest of these is the air fryer and apparently, everyone I know is getting one.
As a chef, the last thing I wanted was another kitchen appliance to take up space on my kitchen counter. It’s hard to resist the urge to have your kitchen decked out with professional restaurant cooking equipment and the latest gastronomical gadgets. I have my preferences when it comes to equipment, of course, but air fryers are sort of uncharted territory. So, I tried to avoid buying an air fryer for so long until I kept hearing everyone sing its praises, and then I caved.Meanwhile, I did a little homework and found a reputed mechanic, whom I can trust in case I end up ruining the fryer for some reason. You know, with kitchen appliances it just happens, and you can’t help, but take it to a mechanic of appliance repair San Francisco (or one elsewhere). However, I absolutely love it and think that everyone should purchase one for quick, fast healthy meals.
What is an air fryer and how does it work?
An air fryer is an electric kitchen appliance that has contains a basket that holds food to be cooked. A fan inside the air fryer circulates heat as a convection method to keep the food dry while it is cooking. In other words, the food gets a crispy fried texture with little or no oil involved in the cooking process making it suitable for those trying to eliminate excess calories or fats from their diet.
You have to ensure the air fryer is plugged in, the lid is closed and locked for safe use. If your air fryer malfunctions, try rebooting it to see if it turns on. If it doesn’t work, then it could be that the fuse is blown, and it needs to be replaced. You can seek help from family owned appliance repair company or any other experts near you.
What are the benefits of cooking with an air fryer?
- Cooking is FAST. For instance, it takes half the time to air fry potatoes in an air fryer than it does in the oven because the fan inside keeps the food dry as it cooks.
- It great for reheating leftovers. Since the heat is coming from all directions because of the fan inside, your leftover food will become hot and crispy in a short amount of time which is more enjoyable than reheating leftovers in the microwave.
- Since it is a small kitchen appliance, it uses a lot less electricity than turning on the oven which will save on energy costs.
- Traditionally, frying means that your food is submerged in oil to be cooked. With an air fryer only a small amount of oil is needed to generate a similar texture saving you unnecessary calories and fat in your diet.
- Cooking for 2: it is easier to cook for 1 or 2 in the air fryer because you can fit just enough food in the basket without having to make large portions.
Air Fryer vs. Instant Pot
The air fryer and instant pot cook food using 2 completely different methods. The air fryer uses dry heat with circulating air. The instant pot uses high pressure built up with heat and moisture. As a result, food has a different texture with each appliance used.
However, there is one appliance by Ninja that acts as a both called the Ninja Foodi which is 6.5 quarts (1.5 gallons) that retails for just under $200 which would be the same as purchasing both appliances.
Check out my NINJA FOODI review!
Can I cook frozen food?
Yes! The air fryer can cook your food from frozen and still produce a crispy texture that saves a lot of time and makes food more enjoyable.
- Frozen Chicken Nuggets
- Paleo Keto Chicken Nuggets
- Frozen Chicken Patties
- Frozen Burger Patties
- Frozen Vegetables
- Frozen Pork Chops
- Frozen French Fries
- Chicken Wings
- Fish Sticks
- Frozen Hot Dogs
- Onion Rings
- Frozen Cookie Dough
- Frozen Calamari
- Frozen Empanadas
How much does an air fryer cost?
Air fryers can range from $50-$300 depending on the size and it’s functionality. Typically, the best are the ones that will fit on your kitchen counter and are easy to clean so that you can continue to use it with ease.
Where can I buy?
- Best Buy
- JC Penney
What are the top air fryers under $100?
- GoWISE USA 5.8-Quarts 8-in-1 Electric XL
- BLACK+DECKER Purify 2-Liter Black/Stainless Steel, HF110SBD
- XL by Cozyna (5.8QT) with a cookbook and a basket divider
- Avalon Bay, For Healthy Fried Food, 3.7 Quart Capacity
What is the Top Rated and Reviewed Air Fryer in 2018?
The Philips XL is the top rated and reviewed for 2018.
Top Cooking Tips:
- Preheat your appliance for 5 minutes to cut down your cooking time as much as possible
- Use cooking oil spray at the bottom of your basket to keep food from sticking to the bottom
- Similarly, use cooking oil spray halfway through the cooking process to make food extra crispy
- Remove the basket and shake it to make sure pieces are cooking even
- Do not over crowd your basket to make sure you can let air through so your food gets crispy
- Use a thermometer when cooking thicker cuts of meat. The air fryer will sometimes crisp the outside before the inside get cooked which is important to check if you are cooking something thick.
- Make sure that anything you chop or cut to put in the is uniform size. This will help make sure that everything cooks even and is finished cooking at the same time.