This buffalo party mix is gluten free and made with corn cereal, rice cereal, cashews and gluten free pretzels. Perfect for game day parties.
By now, you should know that I am buffalo obsessed. Of all the recipes on this blog, a large percentage of them have buffalo flavor of some sort.
The combination of tang and spice just GETS ME. I’m the kind of person that will have wings any day of the week and have been known to eat them as a meal after perfecting my perfect instant pot buffalo wing recipe.
This recipe for buffalo party mix adds another level of enjoyment … CRUNCH! I also love crunchy foods which is a dangerous fact especially when I’m in a Mexican restaurant.
Truthfully, I’m not a fan of football. Believe me, I’ve tried my hardest to understand and even when I do, it really doesn’t interest me to watch.
I get no joy out of football.
What I do get joy out of, is the FOOD people eat when they are watching the game. It’s like buffalo heaven for me and this buffalo party mix just adds to the party.
I’ve also made this recipe gluten free so everyone can enjoy!
What ingredients are in Buffalo Sauce?
Buffalo sauce is formed by taking a hot sauce and mixing it with butter. The hot sauce usually contains a mix of cayenne pepper, vinegar and salt and then is mixed with butter.
How do you make buffalo party mix?
In a bowl add corn chex, rice chex, gluten free pretzels and some raw cashews.
Melt up some butter with Franks Red hot or melt butter with The New Primal Buffalo Sauce, add some seasonings and toss with the snack mix in the bowl.
Once everything is evenly coated, it goes on a sheet pan in a single layer and baked at 300 degrees stirring every 15 minutes.
Once it’s completely cooled, its ready to serve for game day!
Do I have to use Chex Cereal?
Nope! You can find knock off versions of Chex cereal in pretty much any grocery store. Just make sure that if you are making a gluten free snack that you purchase the corn chex or rice chex only as wheat chex contain gluten.
The New Primal Buffalo Sauce
The New Primal Buffalo sauce line comes in hot, mild or medium to tend to you spice level needs. I use the medium 90% of the time because it is the perfect amount of spice and texture for my buffalo recipes.
I developed this recipe with the gluten free crowd in mind, but feel free to add other additions such as:
- Rye Chips
- Ranch Dressing Seasoning Packet
- Parmesan Flavored Crackers
- Wheat Chex
When coating the mix, make sure it is evenly coated but not SOAKED through. This is important as if it is soaked, the cereal may begin to stem and make the rest of the mixture soggy.
Make sure the mix is in one single layer on the baking sheet so it cooks evenly and so it also prevents the above.
Once baking is complete, layer some counter space with parchment paper and pour mix on top to cool completely. The buffalo party mix needs to cool completely in order to crisp up properly
This buffalo party mix will stay fresh in an air tight container for up to one month.
Buffalo Party Mix
- 4 cups Rice Chex Cereal
- 4 cups Corn Chex Cereal
- 3 cups Gluten Free Pretzel Twists
- 1.5 cups Raw Cashews
- 4 tbsp Butter or Ghee
- 4 tbsp Franks Red Hot OR 2/3 cup The New Primal Medium Buffalo Sauce
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Celery Seed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 300
- In a large bowl, add cereal, cashews and pretzel twists, stir until mixture is evenly distributed
- In the microwave or over a stovetop, add butter and melt completely. Mix in buffalo sauce, garlic powder, salt, pepper and celery seed until fully combined.
- Pour the buffalo mixture into the bowl with the snack mix and toss until everything is coated. This may take a little while and it may seem like there is not enough coating, but keep tossing!
- On a baking sheet add buffalo party mix in a single layer being careful not to overcrowd the mix. Depending on the size of your baking sheet, you may need to split this in to 2 batches.
- Bake for 45 minutes making sure to toss and stir the mixture every 15 minutes to prevent it from burning.
- Once mix is baked though, layer your counter top with parchment paper and pour the hot party mix on top to cool for at least 45 minutes.
- Make sure mixture is fully cooled before storing as any moisture left in the mix could cause mold or could cause the party mix to become soggy.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month or longer
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 160 Total Fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 25g Protein: 3g