Don’t ask me why, but I have been craving crispy baked buffalo wings like nobody’s business. Because of this, we’ve gone to a few “wing meals” recently. Just last week we finally had all of our stuff delivered from Hawaii and besides sheer happiness, all I could think of was getting wings that evening.
Eventually, I decided to try my hand making my wings at home. I had every ingredient in the house now… except chicken.
A midday run to get some supplies had us stopping at the grocery store where I decided to pick up chicken and to my surprise, the smaller wings were only available frozen. I didn’t have time for that madness, so I picked up a large pack of drumsticks and wondered if I can some how fake the crispy taste of wings without frying AND with a much larger size.
Spoiler alert… I could.
These take a little bit more time than just cooking regular chicken. You have to do some flipping and temperature changes, but I promise it is worth it in the end and honestly, we have re-heated them back in the oven for leftovers and they are just as good!
Crispy Baked Buffalo Wings
These crispy baked buffalo wings taste like restaurant quality without all the extra oils and can be made right at home!
- 1 pack Large Chicken Drumsticks or Wings
- 1/2 cup Franks Red Hot Sauce
- 1 tbsp Butter or Ghee
- 1 pinch Salt/Pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400
- Pat drumsticks with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Sprinkle each side with salt and pepper.
- Place on a wire rack with a baking sheet UNDER it to catch any drippings
- Bake at 400 for a total of 45 minutes, but flip the wings over at 35 minutes to get even crisping.
- In a large bowl, whisk together hot sauce with 1 tbsp melted butter until well combined.
- Take the drumsticks out of the oven and turn the oven to BROIL
- Coat each drumstick in hot sauce + butter mixture until well coated and place back on the oven rack to be BROILED in order to crisp up.
- BROIL for about 8-10 minutes or until wings start getting brown and crispy. NOTE: each oven is different so WATCH YOUR WINGS while they are broiling
- Take wings out of oven and coat once again in remaining sauce, let cool and enjoy
Thyme and JOY is a parnter with the Whole30 Approved program. For more information about the Whole30 reset and Personal chef services in charleston check out these links: