One of the best Whole30 sweet potato recipes is the most simple and easy! Making these roasted sweet potato rounds or chips by slicing sweet potato, seasoning with thyme, rosemary or any other herb then baking them in the oven is a great twist on a healthy sweet potato side dish. Great to put alongside a casserole or serve on the side for breakfast.
I almost feel bad writing a recipe for these crispy roasted sweet potatoes because they are SO EASY to make. The trick is really all in making it look pretty by slicing the sweet potatoes thin enough so they can be stacked on each other and create a cool domino layer effect.
This sweet potato side dish is the perfect option to bring to holiday parties and potlucks because it looks like you spent so much time on it.
Plus with only 5 ingredients, it saves money. A good side dish on a budget!
How do I cut sweet potatoes into thin rounds?
You can cut sweet potatoes into thin rounds 2 ways:
- By using a Mandolin. A mandolin will help you slice sweet potatoes all at the same thickness. However, since sweet potatoes are thick and starchy, it may take some effort to slide the sweet potato through. Make sure you are using the safety guard that the mandolin comes with.
- By using a very sharp knife. This is my preferred method of cutting sweet potatoes into thin rounds because I can go slower and more precisely.
I cut the sweet potatoes into about ⅛ inch thick rounds. You can cut them to ¼ inch thick but may need to increase the cooking time to account for the extra thickness.
Can I make crispy sweet potatoes vegan?
What kinds of herbs can I use in Crispy Sweet Potatoes?
While I used a mixture of rosemary and garlic for this dish, you can absolutely play around with the flavor combinations including:
Whole30 Sweet Potatoes
A popular question always pops up for those doing a Whole30 or paleo eating lifestyle. Here I’ll explain some more information about whether sweet potatoes are Whole30 or paleo.
Are Potatoes Whole30? All types of potatoes are Whole30 compliant including sweet potatoes, white potatoes, red potatoes, golden potatoes and any other potatoes you can find.
Are Sweet Potatoes Paleo? There has been a lot of debate over the years whether or not sweet potatoes or potatoes in general can be considered paleo. Most experts say yes and some still say that potatoes have too much sugar to be a part of the diet. In this case and in any case, you have to make the choice that is best for you and your dietary needs.
Can You Have Sweet Potatoes On Whole30? Sweet potatoes are Whole30 compliant which is great news because there are many Whole30 sweet potato recipes that are delicious such as Instant Pot Sweet Potato Chili and Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes.
Are Sweet Potato Fries Whole30 Compliant? Sweet potato fries are Whole3o compliant but only if you make them yourself. Premade potato chips and fries are off limits unless you make them yourself.
Do Sweet Potatoes Contain More Sugar Than Regular Potatoes? Sweet potatoes do contain more sugar than regular white potatoes, but they also contain more nutrients. Always experiment to see what works best for your body and dietary needs.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
- When choosing your sweet potatoes at the grocery store, make sure each potato is long and round and that all have a similar shape. This will help keep things uniform and make everything bake at the same time.
- Slice a thin piece off the bottom of the sweet potato longways to create a flat surface for it to lay on so it doesn’t roll around while you are cutting. The slice off can be easily hidden while you are assembling the dish.
- This recipe uses an 8×8 pan, but feel free to use one of a bigger size and double the recipe if you’d like to make a bigger side dish for Thanksgiving or other holidays.
Crispy Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds Sweet Potatoes
- 3 tbsp Butter or Ghee
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 sprigs Rosemary chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice sweet potatoes into ⅛ inch rounds using a very sharp knife or a mandolin.
- Melt 3 tbsp butter or ghee (in microwave or on stovetop) and pour 1 tbsp into baking dish coating all sides of the pan or dish you’re using.
- With remaining butter or ghee, stir in rosemary, salt, pepper and garlic powder and set aside.
- Layer sweet potato rounds stacking them on top of each other in the greased pan creating a round or square pattern as seen in the photos.
- Once sweet potato rounds are set in the pan, pour or brush the butter herb mixture over the top of the sweet potatoes making sure they are coated evenly.
- Cover with foil and place into preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Once potatoes are cooked through, remove foil and place under the broiler for 5-7 minutes or until desired crispy top consistency is reached. **this varies with each oven.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving hot.
Valerie Skinner is a Whole30 approved personal chef & recipe developer that bridges the gap between healthy eating and busy lives by providing simple healthy meals and recipes for you and your family.