How Long To Boil Chicken Legs
Wondering How Long to Boil Chicken Legs? Learn how to boil chicken legs so they’re perfectly cooked every time to enjoy alongside creamy mashed potatoes, roasted veggies or buttermilk biscuits!
🍗How Long Does It Take To Boil Chicken Legs?
The time it will take for your drumsticks to boil depends on their size. That being said, smaller sized pieces should be ready in about 20 minutes and and larger pieces will generally take about 30 minutes to boil.
Boiled chicken legs make a great addition to so many different meals! They can be eaten just as they are or used to spice up your salad, sandwich or pasta dish.
In addition to being a very versatile, chicken leg quarters are an excellent source of many essential nutrients including iron, zinc, vitamin A, C, and B complex vitamins. Including chicken legs in your daily diet can even help to prevent anemia.
Chicken legs can be prepared in a variety of ways, including by grilling, baking, or frying them. However, boiling is an excellent cooking method for chicken legs because not only is it quick and easy, but you can be sure your meat will be tender and juicy when it’s ready to eat!
Boiling your chicken legs can also be done before you bake them to speed up the cooking process!
📖How To Boil Chicken Legs (Step By Step Instructions)
1️⃣Prepare the meat: To begin, trim any excess fat off your meat and, if you would like, you can now remove the skin as well.
2️⃣Boil water: Next, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil on the stove over medium-high heat.
OPTIONAL- Add salt and pepper to you water to enhance the flavor of the chicken legs.
3️⃣Add meat: Now add the chicken to the boiling water. You should let smaller pieces cook for about 20 minutes and if your chicken pieces are larger, they should remain cooking for about 30 minutes.
4️⃣Remove chicken legs: Once your chicken legs are fully cooked, remove them from the heat and allow the meat to cool slightly before serving.
5️⃣How Long to Boil Frozen Chicken Legs: If you are boiling chicken legs from frozen, increase the boiling time to 30 minutes for smaller pieces and 45 minutes for larger pieces. Always make sure that the internal temperature reaches 165° F (74° C)!
- It is important to be sure your chicken legs are cooked all the way through! This can be done by using a meat thermometer to check if they have reached an internal temperature of 165° F (74° C).
- For additional flavor, season the boiling water with a few herbs and spices such as thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, etc.
- White wine or lemon juice can also be added to the boiling water for some extra flavor.
- If you’re looking for a crispy skin, try baking or roasting the chicken after boiling.
- Add enough water to fully submerge the chicken legs but not too much that it can spill out
- Always start with cold water as hot water can contain minerals from your hot water heater. Cold water also has more oxygen which will actually boil faster than warm water to start.
Is 30 minutes enough to boil chicken?
The time it takes to boil chicken will depend upon the size of the piece of meat you are trying to boil.
How do you know when boiled chicken is done?
Boiled chicken is done when the thickest part of the meat reaches an internal temperature of 165° F (74° C). You can also cut into the chicken to be sure it is cooked all the way through.
Does chicken have to be fully submerged when boiling?
To ensure chicken in fully and properly cooked, be sure it is fully submerged in water while boiling.
Can chicken be boiled too long?
Chicken can be boiled too long, which will result in the meat becoming tough, rubbery and dry. To prevent overcooking, be sure to check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer.
How Long To Boil Chicken Legs
- Large Pot
- 6 Chicken Legs drumsticks
- 2 tbsp Sea Salt optional
- ½ tbsp Pepper optional
- Start by prepping your chicken legs. Trim off any excess fat and remove the skin if desired.
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. OPTIONAL: add salt and pepper to the water.
- Carefully lower the chicken into the boiling water and let it cook for 20 minutes for smaller pieces or 30 minutes for larger pieces, depending on size.
- Once the chicken is done, remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly before serving.
- How long to boil frozen chicken legs: For frozen chicken legs, increase the boiling time to 30 minutes for smaller pieces and 45 minutes for larger pieces. Always make sure that the internal temperature reaches 165 F (74 C)