Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts
This southern staple is a well enjoyed snack that can easily be made in your pressure cooker! Enjoy Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts anytime you crave a comforting soft, and chewy peanut snack.
Boiled peanuts are a snack made by cooking green or raw peanuts in boiling water, usually with an added flavor enhancer like salt, vinegar, or Cajun seasoning. This southern specialty is very popular and can be found at local sports games, county fairs, and festivals year-round.
Boiled peanuts are believed to have originated in the Southern United States as early as the American Civil War when soldiers boiled peanuts in their helmets while they traveled. In the South,
Boiled Peanuts are often cooked on the stovetop in a large pot of water for several hours until tender and soft. To make this recipe easier, you can use the Instant Pot to make the best boiled peanuts!
The pressure cooker uses high pressure to cook foods quickly and efficiently, so you can make boiled peanuts in about an hour instead of several hours. This method also makes for a more flavorful and aromatic end result!
🥜Ingredients and Tools
- Raw Unsalted Peanuts (In The Shell) – You’ll want to make sure you purchase raw peanuts in the shell.
- Kosher Salt – Salt is used to season and flavor the peanuts. Feel free to add more or less depending on your taste preferences. You can also substitute the salt for other seasonings such as garlic powder, onion powder, Cajun seasoning, or Old Bay.
- Water – You’ll need enough water to submerge all of the peanuts in the instant pot.
- Instant Pot – Any electric pressure cooker will work for this recipe.
- Instant Pot Trivet – You’ll need the trivet that the pressure cooker comes with to ensure that the peanuts are fully submerged in the water.
📖How To Make Boiled Peanuts In Instant Pot
1️⃣Prepare the peanuts: Remove any dirt or small and broken from the peanuts and rinse them in cold water.
2️⃣Add ingredients to instant pot: Add the cleaned raw peanuts, salt, and enough water to submerge the peanuts. Place the trivet on top of the peanuts and gently push down to make sure they are fully submerged.
3️⃣Pressure cook: Close the instant pot and set it to manual HIGH for 60 minutes. Let the peanuts sit for 15 minutes after the cooking time is up, then do a manual release.
4️⃣Remove and enjoy: Once cooked, carefully open the instant pot and remove the boiled peanuts with a slotted spoon. Enjoy!
- The best type of peanuts to use for this recipe is raw, unsalted peanuts in the shell. You can use green peanuts, but they tend to have a more earthy flavor.
- If you don’t have a trivet, you can leave it out, but the top layer of peanuts may not fully cook.
- If you enjoy peanuts that are softer, feel free to increase the cooking time to 80 minutes.
- For a sweeter variation of this dish, try substituting regular water for apple juice or chicken broth for a more flavorful boiled peanut.
- Make sure the liquid and peanuts do not go past the fill line, as this could damage the instant pot.
❔How To Store Boiled Peanuts
Once cooled, store boiled peanuts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. They can also be frozen for up to three months when sealed in a freezer-safe bag with as much air removed as possible. Let them thaw overnight in the fridge before enjoying.
Instant Pot Boiled Peanuts
- 1 Pressure Cooker (Instant Pot)
- 1 pound Raw Unsalted Peanuts in the shell
- ½ cup Kosher Salt
- 10 cups Water or more if needed
- Remove any dirt or small and broken from the peanuts and rinse them in cold water.
- Add the cleaned raw peanuts, salt, and enough water to submerge the peanuts. Place the trivet on top of the peanuts and gently push down to make sure they are fully submerged.
- Close the instant pot and set it to manual HIGH for 60 minutes. Let the peanuts sit for 15 minutes after the cooking time is up, then do a manual release.
- Once cooked, carefully open the instant pot and remove the boiled peanuts with a slotted spoon. Enjoy!