This hot and spicy Buffalo Sweet Potato Queso "cheese" sauce is an easy and delicious dairy-free alternative to queso dip with a fiery buffalo kick. Perfect for veggies, nachos, burgers and so much more! Vegan and Whole30-friendly.
If you're looking for a quick and easy vegan cheese sauce recipe, look no further. This delicious buffalo sweet potato queso is as quick and easy as it gets!
Many vegan cheese sauce recipes involve soaked cashews blended with nutritional yeast and spices to make a smooth and creamy sauce. This vegan cheese sauce, however, replaces the nuts with cooked sweet potato to make a silky vegan cheese sauce with a tangy buffalo twist.
Double the recipe because you're going to want to put this sweet potato queso on everything. Serve with sliced raw vegetables for the best dairy-free Whole30 snack or with chips and crackers for some tasty plant-based munchies. You can even use this sauce on nachos, pasta and burgers. The options are endless![feast_advanced_jump_to]
🍠 Ingredients You’ll Need
- Sweet Potato (cooked): Blended boiled sweet potato is the base of the sauce. It gives it the perfect silky texture and "cheesy" color. You can also use white sweet potatoes but your queso will not be as vibrant.
- Almond MIlk (unsweetened): helps loosen the blended sweet potato into a thinner sauce consistency.
- Nutritonal Yeast: is a fantastic plant-based alternative to grated cheese. It is what gives this queso it's "cheesy" like flavor.
- Buffalo Sauce: gives this queso a kick of cayenne and tangy flavor. The New Primal line of Whole30 buffalo sauce flavors are fantastic.
- Seasonings/ Garlic Powder & Salt: flavor the sauce to perfection!
📖 How To Make Vegan Buffalo Cheese Sauce
1️⃣ Prep sweet potato:
First, bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. While the water heats, prep the sweet potato. Peel away the skin and then chop into 1" to 2" cubes.
2️⃣ Cook sweet potato:
Once the water comes to a boil add the sweet potatoes to the pot and boil until fork-tender (about 15 minutes). Drain and let cool.
3️⃣ Blend ingredients together:
In a blender or food processor, add cooked and cooled sweet potato, almond milk, nutritional yeast, buffalo sauce, garlic powder and salt. Blend or process until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy.
Pour the buffalo sweet potato queso in a serving bowl and serve with chips, raw veggies, crackers, etc.
👩🏻🍳 Chef's Tips
- Make sure the sweet potato is cooked all the way through, so it blends easily into a smooth and creamy queso cheese sauce.
- If your queso is too thick, add a bit more almond milk and reblend. Repeat until the queso thins down to the consisteny you prefer.
- Sweet potato can be used interchangeable in this recipe butternut squash, carrot or a healthy blend of all three!
- This sauce can be served hot ot cold. To warm the sauce up, pour it into a saucepan and warm over medium-high heat.
🍽️ Variations & Serving Suggestions
This sweet potato cheese sauce is great to have on hand as a quick vegan-friendly snack and also to add melted" cheesy" flavor and texture to a variety of foods. Check out some tasty ideas below:
- As a veggie dip/dressing (perfect for Whole30)
- Poured over tortilla chips for vegan nachos
- Tossed with cooked pasta to make vegan mac and cheese
- Served with Whole30 enchiladas
- I kept things simple because the buffalo sauce adds so much great flavor, but feel free to play with the seasonings. Taco seasoning is a great option.
♻️ Storing & Freezing:
Storing: Vegan queso should be kept in an airtight container in the fridge and enjoyed within 4 to 5 days.
Freezing: Technically you can freeze this sauce, but the texture might not be quite the same once thawed. To get it creamy again, reblend with more almond milk.
Vegan cheese can be made from a variety of different plant-based foods like cashews, soy and starchy vegetables. This vegan cheese sauce is made from sweet potatoes.
One way cheesy flavor is added to vegan food is with nutritional yeast. This plant-based food adds cheesey flavor and texture to food.
No. All dairy is out on Whole30, including cheese.
More Healthy Sauces & Dressings
Buffalo Sweet Potato Queso (Vegan & Whole30)
- 1 large sweet potato 1 cup cooked
- ¼ cup almond milk unsweetened
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons buffalo sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- First, bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. While the water heats, prep the sweet potato. Peel away the skin and then chop into 1" to 2" cubes.
- Once the water comes to a boil add the sweet potatoes to the pot and boil until fork-tender (about 15 minutes). Drain and let cool.
- In a blender or food processor, add cooked and cooled sweet potato, almond milk, nutritional yeast, buffalo sauce, garlic powder and salt. Blend or process until the mixture becomes smooth and creamy.
- Pour the buffalo sweet potato queso in a serving bowl and serve with chips, raw veggies, crackers, etc. Enjoy!