This simple pork chili verde uses pork, tomatillos, jalapenos, green chiles and golden potatoes to make a hearty green chili that is warm and comforting. This recipe can be made on the stovetop.
For Verde Sauce Base:
- 3 Tomatillos (about 2 cups)
- 2 Jalapenos, medium
- 16 oz Roasted Green Chiles (canned)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves
For Chili Base:
- 2 pounds Pork Tenderloin, diced in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium Yellow Onion, small dice
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 pound Golden Potatoes, medium diced
- 5oz Coconut Milk
- 6 cups Chicken Broth or Stock
- 1 tbsp Avocado or Olive Oil
- 1/2 tbsp Salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
For Verde Sauce:
- Preheat your oven to broil on HIGH
- Cut your tomatillos and jalapenos in half and lay them flesh side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Remove the seeds from the jalapenos if you want to keep the spice mild.
- Broil for 5-7 minutes or until skin begins to roast or blacken. Watch carefully so they do not burn
- Add the roasted tomatillos and jalapenos whole to a high speed blender along with canned green chilis and cilantro.
- Blend until fully combined but still a little chunky in texture.
For Chili Base:
- In a large stock pot, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium high heat. Add the diced pork and saute for about 5 minutes until all pork turns white.
- Add garlic, onion, potatoes bell pepper, salt, ground pepper, oregano, chili powder and cumin and saute for another 5-7 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften making sure that the seasonings are stirred evenly throughout.
- Add blended verde sauce and chicken stock and stir to combine.
- Turn up the heat to high and bring to a boil for 5 minutes before turning down the heat to a simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes on low heat or until pork and potatoes are fully cooked through.
- Add in coconut milk and stir to combine.
- Adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Serve hot & garnish with cilantro
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 309
Keywords: authentic pork chili verde, chile verde recipe, instant pot pork chili verde, chili verde recipe, chile verde, chile recipes easy, pork green chili, green chili with pork, green pork chili, whole30 chili verde, paleo green chili, whole30 green chili