This Jalapeno Popper Stuffed chicken is the perfect change up to the regular chicken dinner rotation. Simply hasselback chicken and stuff it with a delicious filling made of jalapenos, bacon, and cream cheese and bake in the oven.
I absolutely love the flavor of Jalapeno poppers. Something about the spicy, creamy and salty appetizer is so addicting and I usually end up eating a LOT of them.
With this recipe for jalapeno popper stuffed chicken, you can get that same flavor in a healthy high protein vessel and serve it for dinner any time.
This is also a great recipe for those who are keto or low carb and looking for something to spice up their lunch and dinner routine.
How to Hasselback Chicken:
The chicken is stuffed by way of hasselback. This simply means that there are deep slices in the chicken going across width wise that a filling is stuffed into before baking in the oven.
To hasselback chicken:
Using a sharp knife, trim the fat off of a boneless skinless chicken breast and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
Place chicken breast on cutting board smooth side up and begin slicing slits into the chicken width wise a half inch apart being careful not to cut the chicken all the way through to the other side. This could take some practice!
On average, each chicken breast should have 4-5 slits.
Once slits are complete, you are ready to stuff them with filling.
Can Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken be Paleo or Whole30?
Every ingredient in this recipe is paleo or whole30 compliant EXCEPT the cream cheese. There are dairy free options for cream cheese that are made with almond milk such as the Kite Hill brand which makes them in plain, jalapeno and chive options.
NOTE: I have never tried this recipe with a cream cheese alternative, but if you do let me know how it went in the comments!
Also Check Out:
Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken
- 4 Chicken Breasts, boneless & skinless
- 4 oz Cream Cheese, softened
- 4 slices Cooked Bacon, chopped
- 2 tbsp Red Onion, minced
- 2 Jalapenos, thin sliced in rounds
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp tbsp Avocado Oil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Trim fat off chicken breasts and season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken breast on cutting board and with a sharp knife, cut slits width wise into the chicken 1/2" apart being careful not to cut the chicken through to the other side. This will create 4-5 "pockets" for the filling.
- In a medium sized bowl, add cream cheese, bacon, red onion and garlic powder and stir until fully combined.
- In each chicken breast, fill the slits with 1-2 tsp of cream cheese filling depending on on the size of the pocket. It's ok if the filling overflows a bit.
- Take your jalapeno slices and insert them into the filling adding 1-3 slices in each pocket about half way until desired amount of jalapeno is used.
- Grease a baking pan with 2 tsp avocado oil or use a sheet of parchment paper.
- Bake on baking sheet for 30-35 minutes at 400 degrees or until chicken breast is cooked all the way through.
- Serve hot. Will keep in fridge in sealed container for up to 5 days.
- Cooking time may vary depending on size and thickness of chicken breast.
- For paleo or whole30 option, see recipe text.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340 Total Fat: 16g Carbohydrates: 2g Protein: 46g
Valerie Skinner is a Whole30 approved personal chef & recipe developer that bridges the gap between healthy eating and busy lives by providing simple healthy meals and recipes for you and your family.