This recipe for Egg Roll In A Bowl with Chicken is a great way to enjoy an inside out egg roll with clean and healthy ingredients. Using chicken breast, cabbage slaw and some asian flavors such as ginger and roasted sesame oil, you can make an easy Paleo, Whole30 or Keto dinner that everyone will love!
Growing up I ate a lot of Chinese food. I had my favorites but I always loved that most meals came with a crunchy, salty egg roll that topped off the dish.
These days my stomach just can’t tolerate Chinese food, and so I try to make my own healthy versions of Chinese takeout like Healthy Sweet and Sour Chicken.
And thankfully, the healthy egg roll code was cracked when recipes started showing up for unstuffed egg rolls or egg roll in a bowl. I have made this dish countless times for my clients over the years but one change many people wanted to make was swapping out pork for chicken.
And so Egg Roll In A Bowl With Chicken became one of the best recipes in my arsenal and I am finally sitting down to write it out and share it with you all.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
- One Pan Easy Dinner: all of the ingredients for this meal can be made in one pot which gets dinner on the table fast and less clean up of dishes.
- It’s Made With Healthy Ingredients: You won’t get any MSG or crappy seed oils in this takeout fakeout, just wholesome whole ingredients that marry really well together.
- It’s High Protein: Making egg roll in a bowl with chicken breast makes it a higher protein meal so it is more satisfying.
- You Can Change It Up: Want to use ground turkey, pork, or ground beef instead? That will work too! Whatever you have on hand or whatever you enjoy most will make this the perfect healthy dinner recipe.
- It Freezes Well: I like to make a double batch and put it in a reusable freezer bag on days when I’m too overwhelmed or tired of cooking. It tastes just as good!
WHAT MAKES THIS A HEALTHY DINNER?
Not only are you using clean ingredients to make it, but you are also able to change it up in many different ways to be compliant with whatever diet or lifestyle you are following:
- Keto or Low Carb Egg Roll In A Bowl: Use a higher fat meat like ground beef or ground turkey and serve over cauliflower rice.
- Whole30 Egg Roll In A Bowl: Make sure you’re using coconut aminos instead of soy sauce to make this dish Whole30 compliant.
- Gluten Free & No MSG: Typical Chinese food takeout has MSG or other additives that have wheat in them, but not this one!
HOW TO MAKE EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
- Make The Chicken First: Heat up a large skillet with 1 tbsp sesame oil on medium high heat. Add diced chicken breast to the pan along with 2 tbsp coconut aminos. Once chicken begins to turn opaque add in 2 tsp minced ginger and 1 tsp minced garlic. Saute for about 8-10 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked through. Remove from the pan and set aside.Do not turn off the heat.
- Make Cabbage Filling: To the pan that the chicken was just cooked in, add in another tbsp of sesame oil and wait a couple minutes until it heats up. Add in coleslaw cabbage mix, 1 tsp minced ginger and 1 tsp minced garlic along with 2 tbsp coconut aminos. Saute with tongs over high heat until all flavors are mixed through and cabbage mixture is slightly wilted but still has a crunch. Stir in cooked chicken breast until fully incorporated then remove from pan.
- Assemble Egg Roll Bowls: To the bottom of your bowls or serving dish, add cauliflower rice or white rice and top with chicken egg roll mixture. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and chopped cilantro if desired.
- Use A Bag Of Coleslaw Mix: Purchase a pre-shredded bag of coleslaw mix for this recipe, they are usually under $2 and eliminate the need for you to do any chopping or shredding of vegetables. You could also use a bag of broccoli slaw for this recipe.
- Fresh Garlic & Ginger: Don’t have fresh garlic or ginger on hand? You can use dried instead. For every 1 tsp of fresh garlic or ginger, use ¼ tsp for ginger and ½ tsp for garlic and adjust as necessary.
- Freezing: This meal can be frozen in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the fridge before reheating.
- Storing: Store this recipe in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
- Reheating: can be reheated in the microwave or right back in the skillet.
Other Healthy Dinner Ideas:
- Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs
- Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs With Veggies
- French Onion Quiche
- Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup
- 1.5 lbs Chicken Breast, diced
- 2 tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 tsp Minced ginger
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
For Cabbage Stuffing
- 12-16 oz Bag Coleslaw Mix or Shredded Cabbage
- 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Minced Ginger
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1 tbsp Toasted Sesame Seeds, for garnish
Storing: Store this recipe in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5-7 days.
Reheating: can be reheated in the microwave or right back in the skillet.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 390Carbohydrates: 116g
It is the reader's responsibility to determine the value and quality of any recipe or instructions provided for food preparation and to determine the nutritional value, if any, and safety of the preparation instructions.