Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
This Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole recipe is an easy way to get a healthy holiday side dish on the table. The sweet potato filling and crunchy pecan topping is made with clean ingredients that are paleo and gluten free. It can also be easily modified to make a Whole30 sweet potato casserole.
Servings: 10 servings
- 2 lbs Sweet Potatoes peeled and cooked
- ½ cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 cup Pecans
- ¼ cup Coconut Oil
- ¼ cup Coconut Sugar
- ¼ cup Unsweetened Coconut Shreds
Preheat Oven & Prep Casserole Dish: Lightly grease a casserole dish with coconut oil and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Make Sweet Potato Filling: Add cooked and cooled sweet potatoes to a large bowl. Add in milk, eggs, coconut oil, salt, vanilla, coconut sugar and cinnamon. Combine using a potato masher, whisk or hand mixer to blend together until all ingredients are incorporated. Add sweet potato filling to the greased casserole dish and even out using a rubber spatula.
Make Crumbly Pecan Topping: To a food processor, add pecans, coconut oil, coconut sugar, cinnamon, salt and coconut flakes. Pulse until mixture is crumbly and pecans have broken down into small pieces.
Top The Casserole And Bake: Evenly distribute pecan topping on top of the sweet potato filling. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve hot.
WHOLE30 SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
To make this sweet potato casserole compliant with a Whole30 reset, make these simple swaps:
- Use ⅛ tsp ground vanilla bean powder instead of vanilla extract.
- Instead of using coconut sugar in the topping, use ½ cup chopped dates.
- Do not sweeten the filling with anything. Sweet potato is sweet on it's own and doesn’t technically need anything else to make it sweeter unless you'd like it to be.
HOW TO COOK SWEET POTATOES:
You’ll need to cook your sweet potatoes so they can get mashed into the filling. There are many ways to do this!
- Sous Vide Sweet Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes - Peel sweet potatoes and chop into large pieces. Place on trivet and add 1 cup of water. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Baked Sweet Potatoes - Preheat the oven to 400. Prick sweet potatoes with a fork to let out steam. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake until tender about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool completely and peel.
- Boiled Sweet Potatoes - Add peeled sweet potatoes cut into large chunks into a pot. Add water up to 1 inch above sweet potatoes. Bring to a boil. Once it’s boiled, turn the heat down to medium and simmer until potatoes are cooked through and tender. Drain in a colander. This will take about 15-20 minutes.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 49mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 11g