Air Fryer Bone In Chicken Breast is an easy way to get a perfectly cooked piece of chicken in no time! Use it in your favorite meals, or enjoy it alone with your favorite side dishes!
When cooking boneless chicken, you may end up with a dry piece of meat as there is little fat content in boneless skinless chicken breast. When cooking chicken breast with the bone in, it helps the chicken to remain juicy and tender, and the air fryer or Ninja Foodi is a great way to accomplish this!
🍗Why The Air Fryer Is The Best Way To Cook A Bone In Chicken Breast
- The hot air circulates around the food, ensuring that it’s cooked evenly and quickly. This ensures that your chicken breast is juicy and flavorful every time!
- Air-fried chicken breast also requires less oil than traditional frying methods, making it a much healthier option.
- It takes a fraction of the time to cook compared to traditional methods like the oven or grill.
- Clean-up is a breeze! No need to wash a bunch of pots and pans. Just clean the air fryer basket, and you’re good to go.
🧂Ingredients You’ll Need
- Bone In Chicken Breast – Split chicken breast with the bone in and skin on will offer the most flavor because there is fat and collagen on the skin that helps baste the chicken as it cooks. The bone also does this from the inside.
- Olive Oil – Helps the seasoning stick to the chicken breast while giving the chicken a crust on the outside so it stays tender on the inside.
- Dried Seasonings – A mix of paprika, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and onion powder work together to give the chicken breast a great diverse flavor.
📖How To Cook Bone In Chicken Breast In Air Fryer
1️⃣Assemble the chicken marinade: Add dried seasonings to a small bowl, along with the olive oil and mix until fully combined.
2️⃣Prepare the chicken: Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and trim off any excess fat. Coat both sides of the chicken with the seasoning mixture.
3️⃣Let the chicken rest: For best results, let the chicken breast rest outside of the air fryer for 12-15 minutes to take the chill off. This will ensure perfectly tender meat.
4️⃣Air fry chicken breast: Place the chicken in the air fryer basket and cook at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn the chicken over and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165° internally.
5️⃣Rest and serve: Remove chicken and place on a plate. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
⏲How Long It Takes To Cook Bone In Chicken Breast In Air Fryer
This will depend on the size of your chicken breast. Use the chart below for a general idea of how long it will take to cook your chicken in the air fryer fully.
- Small Chicken Breasts (5-7 ounces) – 20 minutes
- Medium Chicken Breasts (8-9 ounces) – 25 minutes
- Large Breasts Chicken (10-12 ounces) – 30 minutes
- Letting the chicken rest after cooking is important as it helps retain the juices and prevents it from drying out.
- The best way to check if your chicken is cooked through is by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken and make sure it reads at least 165° F.
- Use tongs to turn the chicken over in the air fryer to ensure even cooking on both sides.
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer basket; cook the chicken breast in batches if necessary.
Chicken breast can be seasoned in a variety of different ways before cooking. Here are some of our favorite ideas:
- Lemon Pepper: Combine lemon zest, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and a pinch of salt for a simple yet flavorful seasoning.
- Garlic Parmesan: Mix together minced garlic, grated parmesan cheese, dried basil leaves and Italian seasoning for the perfect cheesy flavor.
- Cajun: Add smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, black pepper and a pinch of salt to get that traditional Cajun flavor.
- BBQ Rub: Mix together chili powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, sugar and cumin for a classic BBQ taste.
- Garlic Herb: Make a mix of fresh minced garlic, dried oregano and thyme, black pepper and a pinch of salt for a delicious herby flavor.
❄Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once cooled, store the cooked chicken breast in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing: Place cooled chicken in a ziplock bag and remove as much of the air as possible. Freeze for up to four months. Let the chicken thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Reheating: The best way to reheat air fryer chicken breast is in the air fryer once again! Preheat the air fryer to 350° and cook for 5-7 minutes until heated through. Make sure to turn the chicken over halfway through cooking. Enjoy!
Can I cook frozen chicken in the air fryer?
If you’re using a frozen chicken breast, you will need to cook it for an addtional 20-25 minutes at 370°F or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
How do you keep chicken breast from drying out in the air fryer?
One way to keep chicken from drying out in the air fryer is to ensure you’re using the correct cooking temperature and don’t overcook it. Also, try marinating your chicken for a few hours before air frying it for added flavor and moisture.
What can I serve with air fryer chicken breast?
Air fried chicken is delicious served with roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, salads or a nice grain like quinoa. You can also use it in sandwiches, wraps or tacos for a quick and nutritious meal.
🍗More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets (No Breading)
- Air Fryer Chicken Wings With Baking Powder
- Air Fryer Chicken Quesadilla
- Air Fryer Chicken Meatloaf
Air Fryer Bone In Chicken Breast
- Air Fryer or Ninja Foodi
- small bowl
- 2 chicken breasts bone in (about two pounds total)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add dried seasonings to a small bowl, along with the olive oil and mix until fully combined.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and trim off any excess fat. Coat both sides of the chicken with the seasoning mixture.
- For best results, let the chicken breast rest outside of the air fryer for 12-15 minutes to take the chill off. This will ensure perfectly tender meat.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer basket and cook at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Turn the chicken over and continue to cook for an additional 15 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165° internally.
- Remove chicken and place on a plate. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.