Air Fryer Chicken Meatloaf
This Air Fryer Chicken Meatloaf makes a family favorite in only 30 minutes with a short list of simple ingredients, including ground beef, savory seasonings, breadcrumbs -and a sweet and tangy glaze made in your air fryer or Ninja Foodi!
This classic all-American comfort food is made with ground chicken meat, binders and fillers (like breadcrumbs and eggs), and other flavor-enhancing ingredients. It’s traditionally formed into a loaf shape and then baked in the oven -that is, until the air fryer came along!
With these step-by-step instructions and an air fryer (like a Ninja Foodi or Power XL), you’ll “bake” the perfect ground chicken meatloaf. It has a gorgeous glaze crusted over the surface and a moist, melt-in-your-mouth middle.
This new and improved meatloaf-making method works because the surface begins to brown the moment it touches the hot air fryer basket. The continuous circumventing heat ensures the center stays moist and juicy.
The best part? There’s no wrong way to flavor a chicken meatloaf, so the seasoning options are truly endless. You can even make this air fryer meatloaf gluten-free, paleo, Whole30, and keto with minor modifications.
This air fryer chicken meatloaf pairs perfectly with practically any potato and vegetable side; mashed potatoes, baked potatoes, peas & mushrooms, green beans -anything goes!
🧾 Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground Chicken – I recommend ground chicken with a ratio of 85% meat to 15% fat to create the best texture.
- Minced onion & garlic – Gives the meat a delicious savory flavor. I used dried seasonings, but feel free to use fresh, finely minced onion and garlic.
- Salt & black pepper – Balances the meaty, savory, and umami flavors.
- Worchestershire sauce – Enhances and enriches the chicken mixture with a dynamic and delicious blend of flavors. You can also use steak sauce.
- Breadcrumbs – Plain or seasoned breadcrumbs are the filler ingredient that brings it all together. Feel free to use gluten-free breadcrumbs here.
- Egg – The proteins and moisture from an egg bind everything together, creating a tender but sturdy chicken meatloaf that will hold its shape as it cooks.
- Meatloaf glaze – A simple mixture of ketchup, brown sugar, and Worchestershire (or steak sauce) makes the BEST tangy, sweet, and sticky topping.
🥣 How To Make Chicken Meatloaf In Air Fryer
1️⃣ Preheat the air fryer: Program your air fryer temperature to 350°F, and let it preheat for 3-5 minutes.
2️⃣ Mix and shape into a loaf: Add the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, Worchestershire sauce, egg, salt, and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to mix until the ingredients are incorporated (without overworking). Then form the meat mixture into a loaf shape using your hands.
3️⃣ Air Fry: Place the meatloaf on a piece of parchment paper (for easy removal) and place it in the preheated air fryer basket. Set the timer for 30 minutes.
4️⃣ Brush with glaze: While the meatloaf cooks, make the glaze by combining ketchup, brown sugar, and Worcestershire. Once the timer reaches the 15-minute mark, brush the glaze over the surface of the loaf.
5️⃣ Finish cooking: Continue cooking for the remaining 15 minutes or until the chicken meatloaf reaches an internal temperature of 165°F.
6️⃣ Rest and serve: Remove the chicken meatloaf from the air fryer and let it stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving with your favorite side dishes.
No air fryer? No problem. An oven is always an option. Baking the chicken meatloaf for about 45 minutes at 350°F should do the trick.
👩🏻🍳 Recipe Tips
- Parchment VS. silicone loaf pan – As long as the parchment paper doesn’t touch any heating elements, using it for cooking meatloaf keeps it from sticking, makes it easier to handle, and allows the loaf to brown on all sides. Of course, you can use a silicone loaf pan instead, but only if it will fit in the basket without coming in contact with the heating element.
- Catch drippings with foil – You can safely use foil to line the space UNDER the air fryer basket, making clean-up easier, but only if the foil cannot come in contact with any heating element.
- Don’t forget to preheat – The surface begins to cook immediately, making a nice browned layer on the exterior.
- Use tongs – Be very careful placing the loaf in the preheated basket -it will be HOT. Use tongs, not your hands, to handle it.
- Check for doneness – Meatloaf is cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Feel free to use a kitchen thermometer for precision.
- Let it rest – Letting your meatloaf loaf rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing allows the loaf to re=absorb all of the juices. Don’t skip this step!
- Seasonings – You can deepen the savory flavors with oregano, thyme, sage, basil, and parsley -or use Italian seasoning. Likewise, you can add some ground mustard (or Dijon), smoked paprika, or marjoram.
- Glaze – Get creative with the glaze formula. Barbecue, sweet chili, Heinz 57, and teriyaki sauce are fun options.
- Mini meatloaves – To make mins, use about a 1/2 cup of the meat mixture per loaf and cook for less time.
- Paleo/Whole30 – To adapt this recipe, use coconut aminos instead of Worchestershire and almond flour instead of breadcrumbs. As for the glaze, omit the brown sugar and Worchestershire, and make a glaze with compliant ketchup or barbecue sauce.
- Low Carb/Keto – Use crushed pork rinds instead of bread crumbs and a sugar-free ketchup or barbecue sauce for the glaze.
How To Store Leftover chicken Meatloaf: If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, keep them in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can reheat leftovers in the microwave or pop them back into the air fryer.
How To Reheat chicken Meatloaf In The Air Fryer: Line the air fryer basket with parchment paper, ensuring it isn’t touching any heating elements. Spray both sides of a slice of meatloaf with cooking spray, then place it on top. Reheat at 350°F for about 5 minutes or until heated through.
Can you freeze cooked chicken meatloaf?
Yes, so consider cooking one to enjoy immediately and one to freeze for later! Let the loaf cool completely to room temperature, then freeze it in a covered airtight container or heavy-duty freezer bag for 3-4 months.
Do you cook chicken meatloaf covered or uncovered?
Meatloaf is perfectly fine to cook uncovered, but if you notice the top is browning too quickly, you can cover it loosely with foil to slow things down.
How do I keep the chicken meatloaf from drying out?
The secret to moist meatloaf is using ingredients that add flavor and moisture, so don’t skip eggs, Worcestershire, or the glaze. Other wet ingredients like tomato paste, ketchup, barbecue sauce, and soy sauce keep the meatloaf from drying out while adding flavor.
🍖More Meatloaf Recipes
- Air Fryer Turkey Meatloaf
- Air Fryer Chicken Meatloaf
- Air Fryer Bison Meatloaf
- Air Fryer Venison Meatloaf
Air Fryer Chicken Meatloaf
- air fryer
- large mixing bowl
- small mixing bowl
- Parchment Paper
- 1 pound ground chicken 85/15
- 1 cup breadcrumbs plain or seasoned
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce or steak sauce
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
For the glaze:
- ¼ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce or steak sauce
- Program the air fryer temperature to 350°F, and let it preheat for 3-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, Worchestershire sauce, egg, salt, and pepper to a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to mix until the ingredients are incorporated (without overworking). Then mold the meat mixture into a loaf shape using your hands.
- Place the raw chicken meatloaf on a piece of parchment paper for easy handling, and place it in the preheated air fryer basket. Set the timer for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken meatloaf cooks, add the glaze ingredients to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Then, once the cooking time reaches the 15-minute mark, brush the glaze over top of the meatloaf.
- Continue to cook for the remaining 15 minutes or until the chicken meatloaf reaches a safe internal temperature of 165°F.
- Remove the chicken meatloaf from the air fryer and let it stand for 5 minutes before slicing and serving with your favorite side dishes.