Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
These Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, and they only take about 15 minutes to make! Serve them as a side dish at your next dinner party or pack them in your lunch box for a quick and easy snack.
The air fryer can cook many different types of foods, but I have to say that the type of food that gets cooked the most in our air fryer is any air fryer potato recipe!
Sweet potatoes are a wonderful vegetable. They are naturally sweet and have a lovely, smooth texture. They are also packed with nutrients like vitamins A and C, potassium, and fiber.
When you cook sweet potatoes in the air fryer in wedge shapes, they get crispy on the outside and tender on the inside!
🤔Why Make Sweet Potato Wedges In The Air Fryer?
- No harsh ingredients. When you make them from scratch, you get to control what goes in them which means no chemicals, excess sugar, or preservatives. Homemade is best!
- No excess oil is needed. The air fryer is a healthy way to cook sweet potato wedges because they don’t get deep-fried in oil.
- They cook fast. Instead of using a traditional oven that takes upwards of 40 minutes to make, the air fryer cooks sweet potato wedges in 20 minutes or less depending on their size.
- Perfect texture. Because the air fryer is a small convection oven, it circulates dry heat all around the surface area of the food making it crispy on the outside while staying tender and warm on the inside.
🍠What You’ll Need
Sweet Potatoes – You can find sweet potatoes year round in any grocery store. Choose ones that are medium sized and have a healthy skin on the outside.
Cooking Oil – I like to use olive oil or avocado oil because they are healthy oils that can withstand high temperatures without breaking down and becoming unhealthy.
Dry Seasonings – A simple mix of salt, pepper, and garlic powder seasons the potatoes perfectly. You can use any type of seasoning you enjoy.
Baking Powder – This secret ingredient helps the sweet potatoes become extra crispy with a texture that is just like being deep-fried without the oil!
🔥How To Make Sweet Potato Wedges In The Air Fryer
1️⃣Prepare the sweet potatoes: Thoroughly wash your potatoes with cold water to remove any dirt or impurities. Cut the sweet potato in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half. Place your knife at an angle on each side to create wedge shapes.
2️⃣Preheat the air fryer: Turn the air fryer to 350F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
3️⃣Season the potatoes: Add the sweet potato wedges to a large mixing bowl and drizzle with oil. Toss to coat, then add the dry seasonings along with the baking powder. Toss again to fully coat.
4️⃣Air fry sweet potato wedges: Place the seasoned sweet potato wedges in a single layer at the bottom of your air fryer basket and set the timer for 15 minutes.
5️⃣Flip or toss: Once the cooking time reaches 10 minutes, use tongs to toss or shake the basket depending on your air fryer. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the potato wedges are fully cooked on the inside and crispy on the outside.
6️⃣Remove and serve: Remove the sweet potatoes with tongs and serve hot with your favorite dipping sauces!
👩🏻🍳Tips For Cooking Sweet Potato Wedges
- Since sweet potatoes contain a high amount of natural sugars, they can burn easily. Make sure you periodically check on your sweet potato wedges as they cook to prevent them from burning or browning too much.
- When slicing your sweet potatoes, make sure they are all roughly the same size. This will ensure they all cook evenly and at the same time.
- The potatoes need to be placed in a single layer at the bottom of the air fryer basket. Any overlapping will cause them to steam making them mushy. You may need to cook them in batches.
- Baking powder in this recipe is optional but adds a nice crisp to the outside. If you don’t have any on hand, you can omit it.
- The cooking time will depend on the size of your sweet potato wedges as well as how crispy you like them. For extra crispy sweet potato wedges, cook for an additional minute or two.
There are endless ways to customize sweet potatoes to suit your taste. Try any of these variations:
- add a pinch of cayenne pepper for a little heat
- swap the garlic powder for onion powder
- use dried herbs like oregano, thyme, or rosemary
- add a teaspoon of paprika for a smoky flavor
- try sweet potato wedges with honey and cinnamon for a dessert air fryer recipe!
Storing: Sweet potato wedges made in the air fryer are best served immediately. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
Reheating: To reheat, place them back in the air fryer basket and air fry at 350F for a few minutes until heated through.
Freezing: These potato wedges can also be frozen for up to three months. Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet, then place the baking sheet in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag. When ready to eat, air fry the frozen potato wedges at 350F for 20-25 minutes. No need to thaw first!
Why are my sweet potato fries soggy in the air fryer?
If your sweet potato wedges are coming out soggy, it’s likely because they were overlapping in the air fryer basket. Make sure to place them in a single layer so they can get nice and crispy. It’s also important not to overcrowd the air fryer so you may need to cook them in batches. The baking powder will also help to keep them crispy on the outside and create a crust.
🍠More Sweet Potato Recipes
- Air Fryer Whole Sweet Potato
- Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Cubes
- Sous Vide Sweet Potatoes
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer or Ninja Foodi
- 1 pound Sweet Potatoes
- 2 tsp Avocado Oil or other cooking oil
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Thoroughly wash your potatoes with cold water to remove any dirt or impurities. Cut the potato in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half. Place your knife at an angle on each side to create wedge shapes.
- Turn the air fryer to 350F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato wedges to a large mixing bowl and drizzle with oil. Toss to coat, then add the dry seasonings along with the baking powder. Toss again to fully coat.
- Place the sweet potato wedges in a single layer at the bottom of your air fryer basket and set the timer for 15 minutes.
- Once the cooking time reaches 10 minutes, use tongs to toss or shake the basket depending on your air fryer. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the sweet potato wedges are fully cooked on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- Remove the sweet potatoes with tongs and serve hot with your favorite dipping sauces!