Air Fryer Sweet Potato Pie
Get in the holiday spirit with your air fryer or Ninja Foodi and make this delicious Air Fryer Sweet Potato Pie! Made with simple ingredients, you can use the help of this amazing kitchen appliance to add to your holiday feast!
Can you make sweet potato pie in the air fryer? 🤔 YES! If the size of your air fryer basket permits, you can bake a WHOLE 8 inch sweet potato pie in the air fryer, and these easy-to-follow instructions will show you exactly how it’s done!
This air fryer dessert recipe comes together in 35 minutes with only seven ingredients. It’s fuss-free and almost impossible to mess up, so you can focus on the rest of the holiday spread.
So leave the oven open for the turkey and all those holiday casseroles, and save the air fryer for dessert! Once you bake your first sweet potato pie in the air fryer, you’ll never go back to baking them in the oven. Enjoy!
👉 If this sweet potato pie recipe sold you on making desserts in the air fryer, then be sure to check out air fryer s’mores, blueberry cobbler, apple crumble, and peach cobbler while you’re here!
🥧 Ingredients You’ll Need
- Pie Crust – If you have a tried-and-true pie crust recipe, by all means, use it, but the convenience of a store-bought refrigerated pie crust is hard to resist (especially during the chaos of preparing a holiday feast).
- Sweet Potato Puree – Be sure to use a can of pure sweet potato, NOT sweet potato pie filling, which is sweetened and pre-spiced. You can also roast, boil, or steam peeled sweet potatoes and puree them in a blender or food processor.
- Vanilla Extract – Adds a warming vanilla flavor throughout the pie filling.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – This gets whisked into the sweet potato puree to thin it out and make a silky, rich, and fluffy pie filling.
- Egg – Adds strength and structure to the filling, so it holds up as it bakes and sets properly.
- Brown Sugar – Sweetens the pie filling. You can also use coconut sugar or maple sugar here.
- Cornstarch – Cornstarch doesn’t need much time to activate and thicken the pie filling, so it’s perfect for quick air fryer baking.
- Warming Spices – A mix of cinnamon and nutmeg help warm up the flavor of the pie.
🥣 How To Make sweet potato pie In Air Fryer
1️⃣ Whisk pie filling ingredients: Add the sweet potato puree, heavy whipping cream, egg, brown sugar, cornstarch, and sweet potato pie spice to a large mixing bowl, and whisk until smooth and combined.
2️⃣ Assemble crust with pie filling: Place the pie crust on top of the pie plate and crimp the edges if needed. Then, pour the sweet potato pie filling into the crust in an even layer.
3️⃣ Air fry sweet potato pie: After preheating your air fryer to 350°F, place the pie pan directly in the air fryer basket. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the filling is set and no longer jiggles.
4️⃣ Chill and serve: Let the pie cool for 15 minutes, then place it in the fridge to chill for 2-3 hours before serving with whipped cream or ice cream. Enjoy!
- Ensure your air fryer basket is large enough to fit an 8″ pie pan or pie dish (also, be sure it’s oven-safe).
- Be sure to use pure sweet potato puree and not sweet potato pie filling. The cans are similar and easy to mix up.
- Set the refrigerated ingredients out 10-15 minutes before mixing, so they’re closer to room temperature before mixing.
- At the halfway mark, sneak a peak. If the filling is browning too quickly on the top, loosely cover the pie plate with tin foil.
- The precise time it takes to bake sweet potato pie in the air fryer will vary based on the wattage and functionality of your equipment.
- To check for doneness, slice through the center with a sharp knife. It should come out clean, and the filling shouldn’t move much as you pull the knife away.
- The pie must be chilled after baking. This is because the filling will continue to firm as it cools.
🍽 How To Serve Sweet Potato Pie
Once chilled and set, you can serve air fryer sweet potato pie straight from the fridge or at room temperature. Serve individual slices a la mode with vanilla ice cream and a dollop of whipped cream.
Have a pot of coffee brewing to sip with this sweet and creamy sweet potato pie. After a huge holiday meal, you may need the caffeinated pick-me-up.
🧊 Storing & Freezing
Storing: Refrigerate leftover sweet potato pie wrapped loosely in plastic or foil in the fridge for 3-4 days. Enjoy chilled or at room temperature.
Freezing: Wrap single slices or the whole pie pan tightly with plastic or foil, and place in a freezer-safe ziptop bag. Freeze for up to 1 month.
Can I make this sweet potato pie gluten-free?
Yes! The sweet potato pie filling is already made with gluten-free ingredients, so all you need to substitute is the pie shell for a gluten-free pie crust.
Can I make this sweet potato pie dairy-free?
I have only tested this recipe with real heavy whipping cream, but SILK makes a dairy-free heavy whipping cream that mimics heavy whipping cream beautifully in pie filling. You can also try using thickened coconut cream.
🦃More Thanksgiving Recipes
- Spiced Apple Cider Muffins
- Thanksgiving Cocktails
- Air Fryer Turkey Wings
- Air Fryer Turkey Legs
- Air Fryer Turkey Breast
- Air Fryer Mashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Maple Cinnamon Butternut Squash
- Gluten-free Stuffing
- Riced Cauliflower Stuffing
- Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce
- Keto Cranberry Sauce
- Mini Pecan Pie Tarts
- Gluten-free Peanut Butter Pie
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Pie
- air fryer like a Ninja Foodi, NuWave, or Power XL
- 8" pie plate or oven-safe dish
- large mixing bowl
- 1 pie crust store-bought or homemade in advance
- 1 cup sweet potato puree roughly half of a 15 ounce can
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Add the sweet potato puree, vanilla extract, heavy whipping cream, egg, brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and nutmeg to a large mixing bowl, and whisk until smooth and combined.
- Place the pie crust on top of the pie plate and crimp the edges if needed. Then, pour the sweet potato pie filling into the prepared crust.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F for 3-5 minutes, then place the pie pan in the air fryer basket. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the filling is set and no longer jiggles.
- Let the pie cool for 15 minutes, then place it in the fridge to chill for 2-3 hours before serving with whipped cream or ice cream. Enjoy!