This recipe for Air Fryer Beets makes perfectly roasted, sweet and tender beets that can be enjoyed as a healthy side dish or tossed with salads. This side dish is also vegan, paleo and Whole30!
New to beets? These air fryer roasted beets are simple, delicious and a great dish to start with. Made with just 4-ingredients, these beets roast up sweet, tender and absolutely delicious in the air fryer. They are the perfect quick and easy side dish for meal prep and busy weeknights! -but before we dive into the directions, let’s chat about the beauty that is a beet.
👉 All About Beets
What do beets taste like?
I’m convinced that the beet-haters just haven’t had beets prepared correctly which is understandable. Beets have an earthy, bitter flavor which may sound off-putting but when roasted they develop a pleasantly earthy, floral and sweet flavor.
What is the best way to cook beets?
In the air fryer, of course! The air fryer does a fantastic job of crisping the surfaces and softening the centers while concentrating the sweet and juicy flavor into each bite.
Not to mention, roasting beets in the air fryer takes under 20 minutes, so this is a great healthy side dish to add to your weeknight rotation. That said, give me a beet and let’s get roasting.
📝 Ingredients & Equipment
- Beets (about 2-3 medium sized) – Any variety of beet is fine. Red beets, golden beets, candy cane beets or a colorful combination of all three.
- Avocado Oil – adds moisture to the beets, creating a crisp-firm surface with a sweet and succulent center.
- Italian Seasoning – enhances recipes with a blend of savory herbs and spices.
- Salt & Pepper – enhances flavor. I like using a flaky sea salt to contrast the soft and sweet beets.
- Optional Toppings– fresh chopped herbs (parsley, dill, cilantro, etc.), chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, pistachios, etc.), etc.
Air Fryer – If you have yet to invest in one, I highly recommend the Ninja Foodi!
📖 How to Make Air Fryer Roasted Beets
Follow these simple steps to make perfectly roasted beets every time.
1️⃣ Preheat air fryer and prep beets:
First, preheat air fryer to 400 degrees While the air fryer is preheating, with a sharp knife, carefully peel beets and then cut into 1″ cubes.
3️⃣ Air fry beets:
Carefully transfer beets to the air fryer basket without crowding the basket (you may need to work in batches ) and cook for 15 minutes, tossing the basket halfway through.
4️⃣ Check for doneness and serve:
Check for doneness by poking a piece with a fork or toothpick. If it goes in without having to apply much pressure and comes out easily, they are done. Sprinkle with optional toppings. Serve hot or cold.
No air fryer? No worries. Arrange beets in a spaced out layer on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, flipping pieces halfway through.
🟣Air Fryer Beet Chips
If you love the flavor and texture of air fryer roasted beets, you’re going to love adapting this recipe to make crisp and crunchy beet chips. To make beet chips in the air fryer:
1️⃣ Peel and slice beets:
Carefully peel beets. Using a mandoline or very sharp knife, cut beets into thinly sliced rounds.
3️⃣ Roast beet chips in air fryer:
Transfer beet slices to the air fryer basket without overcrowding the basket and cook at 330 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until the beets are fork-tender and the edges are crispy.
4️⃣ Let chips cool and serve:
Move the beet chips to a paper-towel lined plate to cool. Season to taste with more salt. Beets chips will continue to crisp as they come to room temperature. Enjoy!
The cook time and temperature will vary depending on your air fryer’s functionality. You may need to adjust accordingly, so keep in aye on them. Beets will burn quickly, so make sure to remove them from the air fryer as soon as they begin to get crispy.
👩🏻🍳 Chef’s Tips
- The smaller the beet, the better. Smaller beets tend to be softer, sweeter and easier to peel.
- If your air fryer does not have a preheat function simply program the temperature to 400 degrees and let the air fryer run empty.
- Always protect your clothing and work surface when working with beets. The only way to ensure the beet juices do not stain you and your clothing is to wear gloves and an apron. Peeling the beets in a bowl of water also eliminates some of the mess.
- To ensure the beets cook evenly, cut them into the same size and shape and do not overcrowd the basket. You may need to work in batches.
- Feel free to season the beets with your favorite savory seasonings. I love Italian seasoning because it’s a one-stop-shop for a variety of savory herbs and spices.
🍴How to Serve Roasted Beets
Air fryer roasted beets are great served as a warm side dish, tossed in cold with salads and served with savory dips. Check out these tasty ways to serve beets:
- Fresh from the air fryer, serve fork-tender beets as a warm side dish with pork tenderloin and mashed potatoes.
- Serve crisp beet chips with mango cucumber salsa. This is the BEST Whole30 snack!
- Toss roasted beets in with a crisp brussels sprouts salad with apples.
♻️ Storing & Freezing
Storing: Let beets cool completely and then store in a shallow airtight container or resealable bag in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Reheating: Warm cooked beets in preheated 375 degree air fryer for 3 to 4 minutes or until warmed through and re-crisped.
Freezing: The best way to freeze cooked beets is by flash-freezing. Spread cooled beets out on a baking sheet and freeze solid. Once frozen, transfer the pieces to a freezer-safe bag and freeze for 3 to 4 months.
Absolutely. Golden beets cook up just like red beets. The difference is in the flavor. Golden beets are just a bit less sweet.
In a pinch, yes but the taste and texture is going to be different. To roast canned beets in the air fryer, blot the slices as dry as possible with a paper towel before tossing with oil and seasonings.
It depends on the cooking method. Peeling before air frying is recommended, but if you’re using a slower method to cook the beets, the skin should slide right off if they’re cooked correctly.
Whether you peel beets before or after cooking them, they should definitely be peeled. Beet skins are woody, bitter and not exactly appetizing.
More Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
Air Fryer Beets
- Air Fryer or Ninja Foodi
- 1-2 pounds Beets red, golden, or candy cane
- 1 tablespoon Avocado Oil
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees While the air fryer is preheating, with a sharp knife, carefully peel beets and then cut into 1" cubes.
- In a large bowl, toss beets gently with avocado oil and Italian seasoning until well-coated.
- Carefully transfer beets to the air fryer basket without crowding the basket (you may need to work in batches ) and cook for 15 minutes, tossing the basket halfway through.
- Check for doneness by poking a piece with a fork or toothpick. If it goes in without having to apply much pressure and comes out easily, they are done. Sprinkle with optional toppings. Serve hot or cold.
- No air fryer? No worries. Arrange beets in a spaced out layer on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes, flipping pieces halfway through.
- The cook time and temperature will vary depending on your air fryer’s functionality. You may need to adjust accordingly, so keep in eye on them. Beets will burn quickly, so make sure to remove them from the air fryer as soon as they begin to get crispy.