Air Fryer Corn Fritters
Skip the deep fryer and make Air Fryer Corn Fritters! These tasty morsels are a great way to enjoy corn’s sweet and nutty flavor. Use your air fryer or Ninja Foodi to make them crispy on the outside and tender on the inside while staying light and healthy!
Can you make corn fritters in the air fryer? Yes, in fact, we think that using the air fryer is the BEST way to cook corn fritters for many reasons!
A corn fritter is a small patty made of cornmeal, flour, eggs, and milk (or buttermilk), with some chopped onions or chives mixed in. They are usually fried in oil until golden brown on the outside and cooked through on the inside.
Instead of deep frying in oil, you can use the power of the air fryer. The air fryer is essentially a small convection oven that uses dry circulating heat to cook food. This means it cooks food fast and doesn’t require large amounts of oil.
This means you can make healthy corn fritters whenever you’re in the mood to serve with your favorite side dishes or a hearty main course!
🌽Ingredients & Tools
- Cooked Corn Kernels – The beauty of this recipe is that you can use any cooked corn you have on hand. Whether it’s leftover from corn on the cob, canned or even frozen!
- All Purpose Flour – Helps bind all of the ingredients together and gives the fritter a cake-like texture.
- Cornmeal – Adds additional structure to the fritter along with a more nutty corn taste.
- Egg – Binds the fritters together, making them set properly when cooked in the air fryer.
- Green Onions – Adds a mild onion flavor to the fritters that pair well with the rest of the ingredients.
- Chopped Parsley – Adds a pop of green color and garden fresh taste.
- Dried Seasonings – A simple mix of garlic powder, salt, and pepper enhances the overall flavor of the fritters.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – Adds a layer of salty cheese flavor to the fritter that makes them comforting and satisfying.
- Milk – Used to help wet the batter to form the patty. How much is needed depends on the texture of the fritter.
🔥How To Make Corn Fritters In The Air Fryer
1️⃣Preheat the air fryer: Turn your air fryer to 375F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
2️⃣Mix the fritter ingredients: Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl except the milk. Mix everything together until fully combined, then add 1/4 cup milk. Stir until a thick batter is formed.
3️⃣Form the patties: The batter should be sticky and thick but not too wet. If your batter is too thick, add a bit more milk. If its too thin, add cornmeal or flour one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. Divide the mixture into 8 pieces and form with your hands into a flat disc that is 3/4 inch thick.
4️⃣Air fry corn fritters: Place each corn fritter at the bottom of the preheated air fryer basket in a single layer. Set the timer for 10 minutes. At the halfway mark, use a spatula to flip for even cooking. Cook for an additional 5-8 minutes or until the fritter is golden brown on the outside and cooked through on the inside. Remove and serve with your favorite toppings like sour cream or mayo.
👩🏻🍳Corn Fritter Cooking Tips
How long to cook corn fritters in the air fryer depends on the thickness of your corn fritters and your individual air fryer. Start with 375F for 10 minutes and increase or decrease the cooking time as needed.
Place the corn fritters in a single layer as this will help them crisp on the outside. Overcrowding the air fryer basket could cause them to steam instead of crisp. Cook in batches if needed.
Add a bit of cooking oil to the corn fritters before air frying if you want an extra crispy outer layer.
The texture of the corn fritter batter should be sticky and thick but not too wet. You want them to hold their shape without falling apart or sticking to the air fryer.
There are many ways you can change up the flavor of corn fritters to make them your own. Try these fun ideas!
Add protein: Chopped bacon, cooked country sausage, or diced chicken breast are all great additions to corn fritters.
Make them spicy: Add diced jalapenos, cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes to the batter for a bit of heat.
Add more vegetables: Grated zucchini, shredded carrots, or chopped bell peppers all make delicious mix-ins.
Make them sweet: Add a bit of sugar or honey to the batter for a touch of sweetness. You can also top with maple syrup or jam once they are cooked.
Use different types of cheese: Sharp cheddar, pepper jack, or even cream cheese all taste great in corn fritters.
How do you cook frozen corn fritters in the air fryer?
Place frozen corn fritters in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Cook at 375F for 12-14 minutes flipping halfway or until heated through and crisp on the outside.
What do you eat corn fritters with?
Serve corn fritters with your favorite dipping sauce or toppings. Try them with sour cream, ranch dressing, ketchup, BBQ sauce, or hot sauce.
Can corn fritters be reheated?
Yes! Reheat corn fritters in the air fryer at 375F for a few minutes until heated through. You can also reheat them in the oven or microwave.
Air Fryer Corn Fritters
- air fryer or Ninja Foodi
- 2 cups corn kernels fresh, frozen or leftover corn on the cob
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup green onion chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 tbsp Parsley freshly chopped
- Sour Cream
- Chopped Chives
- Chopped Parsley
- Turn your air fryer to 375F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl except the milk.
- Mix everything together until fully combined, then add 1/4 cup milk.
- Stir until a thick batter is formed.
- The batter should be sticky and thick but not too wet. If your batter is too thick, add a bit more milk. If its too thin, add cornmeal or flour one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Divide the mixture into 8 pieces and form with your hands into a flat disc that is 3/4 inch thick.
- Place each corn fritter at the bottom of the preheated air fryer basket in a single layer.
- Set the timer for 10 minutes.
- At the halfway mark, use a spatula to flip for even cooking.
- Cook for an additional 5-8 minutes or until the fritter is golden brown on the outside and cooked through on the inside. Remove and serve with your favorite toppings like sour cream or mayo.