Use your air fryer or Ninja Foodi to make Air Fryer Roasted Tomatoes! In just 10 minutes, you can have oven-roasted cherry tomatoes that are tender and juicy. These roasted tomatoes are perfect for adding to pasta dishes, salads, and even tomato sauces.
Can tomatoes be cooked in an air fryer? Yes, tomatoes can easily be cooked or roasted by using your air fryer. In fact, using the air fryer may be the best way to roast tomatoes!
Cherry tomatoes are delicious on their own, but they’re even better when roasted. When you roast a tomato, the natural sugars caramelize, and the flavor intensifies.
The air fryer or Ninja Foodi roasts cherry tomatoes perfectly, and they come out tasting like they’ve been slow-roasted for hours! But, by roasting tomatoes in the air fryer, you cut out most of the cooking time and can have them ready in 10 minutes!
Roasted tomatoes are a great way to enhance the flavor of many dishes, including pasta dishes, rice dishes, salads, and more. You can even use them to make a flavorful tomato sauce!
Ready to learn how to roast tomatoes in the air fryer? Let’s do it!
🍅Ingredients You’ll Need
- Cherry Tomatoes – You can use many varieties of cherry tomatoes for this method. It’s a great way to use fresh tomatoes from the garden too!
- Cooking Oil – Coating the tomatoes in oil allows a crust to form on the outside that gets hot from the dry circulating heat, which helps cook the inside evenly.
- Salt & Pepper – Enhances the natural sweetness and acidic nature of the tomatoes.
- Air Fryer or Ninja Foodi – This recipe can use any air fryer. We love using our Ninja Foodi because it is multi-functional and is a quality kitchen gadget.
🔥How To Make Roasted Tomatoes In The Air Fryer
1️⃣Preheat the air fryer: Turn your air fryer to 400F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
2️⃣Prepare the tomatoes: Wash the cherry tomatoes in cold water to remove any dirt or impurities. Then use a sharp knife to cut them in half lengthwise.
3️⃣Season the tomatoes: Add the chopped tomatoes to a bowl along with the oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to fully coat.
4️⃣Air fry tomatoes: Place the seasoned tomatoes in the preheated air fryer basket and set the timer for 10 minutes. At the 5 minute mark, flip them using a spatula. Remove and serve hot. If you would like extra crispy or darker tomatoes, add 2-4 additional minutes to the cooking time.
The time it takes to fully cook the tomatoes will depend on your individual air fryer and the size of your tomatoes. The best time and temperature to start at is 400F for 10 minutes. Increase the cooking time as needed.
Place the tomatoes in a single layer at the bottom of the air fryer basket to make sure air can circulate each tomato properly. Tomatoes that are too close together will steam instead of air fry.
For easy clean up, you can put a small layer of foil underneath the tomatoes keeping in mind that they may not be as browned or crispy without the air flow underneath.
- Change up the tomatoes: Use grape tomatoes, Roma tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, or any other type of tomato you can find!
- Add herbs: Mix in some chopped fresh basil, oregano, parsley, or thyme for a flavor boost.
- Make it spicy: Add some crushed red pepper flakes to the seasoning mix for a little bit of heat.
- Add garlic: Add in some minced garlic or roasted garlic to the tomatoes for an extra flavorful dish.
🍝Ways To Use Air Fryer Roasted Tomatoes
- Make a tomato sauce: After air frying the tomatoes, add them to a blender with some additional seasonings to make a delicious and healthy tomato sauce.
- Spread on bread: Add some air fryer roasted tomatoes to a toasted piece of naan, French bread, or baguette. Spread on crackers, too!
- Top a salad: Add some roasted cherry tomatoes to your next salad for a pop of flavor and texture.
- Add to pasta: Roasted tomatoes are great in any pasta dish! Try them with spaghetti, fettuccine, or rigatoni.
- Stir into soups: Mix roasted tomatoes into your favorite soup recipes for an extra flavorful dish.
🧊Storing & Freezing
Storing: Leftover roasted tomatoes can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
Freezing: Place roasted tomatoes on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and freeze for about 30 minutes. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer-safe bag or container and store for up to four months.
What are the best tomatoes for roasting?
The best tomatoes for roasting are cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes, or any other small tomato because they are naturally sweeter and cook faster.
Do you have to Core tomatoes before roasting?
For larger tomatoes, it may be helpful to remove the core first. The core does not need to be removed for smaller tomato varieties like grape or cherry.
Can you put foil in an air fryer?
This depends on the recipe. For roasted tomatoes, it may be helpful to place a small layer of foil under the tomatoes in order to catch the moisture or seeds that may fall through.
🥕More Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
We love cooking vegetables in the air fryer because its quick, easy, and keeps you on track with a healthy lifestyle. Try these other air fryer vegetable recipes.
- Air Fryer Radishes
- Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Cubes
- Air Fryer Zucchini and Squash
- Air Fryer Carrot Chips
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Air Fryer Yuca Fries
Air Fryer Roasted Tomatoes
- air fryer or Ninja Foodi
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes or grape or other variety
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Turn your air fryer to 400F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
- Wash the cherry tomatoes in cold water to remove any dirt or impurities. Then use a sharp knife to cut them in half lengthwise.
- Add the chopped tomatoes to a bowl along with the oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to fully coat.
- Place the seasoned tomatoes in the preheated air fryer basket and set the timer for 10 minutes. At the 5 minute mark, flip them using a spatula. Remove and serve hot.
- If you would like extra crispy or darker tomatoes, add 2-4 additional minutes to the cooking time.