Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato is an easy method to make light and fluffy, perfectly “baked” sweet potatoes in an air fryer or Ninja Foodi. This gluten-free, paleo and Whole30 side dish can be served plain or with a variety of toppings -great for meal prep!
I’ve explained my love for the air fryer in many recipe posts before. I mean, having a tiny oven that sits on your counter that cooks food is kind of amazing.
Anything an oven can do, an air fryer can do better. You can air fry anything that you would normally bake in the oven so much quicker! Seriously. Air fryers are the best, and I love using my Ninja Foodi and Ninja Foodi Grill to whip up food in no time
These air fryer sweet potatoes are smooth and creamy on the inside with a perfectly toasted skin. They make a simple healthy side dish, especially on busy weeknights.
💗 Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Only 2-3 basic ingredients!
- Makes perfectly “baked” sweet potato every time! The skin stays crispy while the inside is soft and tender.
- Very little clean up! All you’ll have to clean is the air fryer basket. HOWEVER, if you add a layer of foil on the bottom of the basket and place the sweet potatoes on top, you don’t need to clean anything at all!
- Save on electricity: Using the oven makes the entire house hot and uses a lot of electricity. The air fryer does not!
- Quick and easy gluten-free, paleo and Whole30 compliant side dish.
🍠 Ingredients You’ll Need
- Sweet Potatoes (medium) – Use sweet potatoes that are similar in size and shape so they cook at the same rate.
- Avocado Oil – Coating the skins with avocado helps soften them and lightly crisp in the air fryer.
- Flaky Sea Salt – enhances flavor.
📖 How To Make Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
1️⃣ Prep. Scrub 2-3 medium sized sweet potatoes clean. Using a fork or sharp knife, poke holes all around the surface of the sweet potato. Pat dry with a paper towel and then rub potatoes with light coating of avocado oil.
2️⃣ Cook. Place sweet potatoes in air fryer basket and cook for 35-40 at 400 degrees. Once potatoes are soft and cooked through, carefully remove them with tongs, sprinkle with sea salt and serve hot.
📝 Recipe Tips
Use similar size sweet potatoes that are oblong and thin. This will ensure that they cook evenly.
Be sure to scrub the sweet potatoes well (they literally have dirt on them otherwise).
And poke plenty of holes on the surface so the steam can release from the potatoes.
Season the sweet potato skins before cooking. Sprinkle skins with cajun seasoning, Greek seasoning or your favorite spice blend.
Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket. I can fit three whole sweet potatoes in my fryer basket. Depending on the size your air fryer, you may need to work in batches.
📖How To Make Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
If you’d rather have fries or perhaps you just have a funky shaped sweet potato, you can cut it into fries or wedges and cook them perfectly in the air fryer.
1️⃣ With a sharp knife, cut skin-on sweet potato into evenly sized fries or wedges. Toss with avocado oil, salt and pepper.
2️⃣ Place sweet potato fries in an even layer in air fryer basket (do not overcrowd). Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes (using tongs to flip halfway through). Serve hot.
🍽️ How To Serve Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
Toppings are optional of course, but baked sweet potatoes taste amazing with a variety of savory and sweet toppings. Try stuffing air fryer baked sweet potato with:
- Chopped buffalo chicken tenders, blue cheese crumbles and chives
- A scoop of chili, shredded cheddar and sour cream
- Salsa Verde Chicken
- Ghee (or butter), cinnamon and brown sugar
🔁 Storing and Freezing
Storing: Once cooled, wrap baked sweet potatoes tightly and keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Freezing: Leftover air fryer baked sweet potato can be frozen up to 3 months.
Frozen sweet potato fries can be made in the air fryer using the instructions on the bag but subtracting 5-10 minutes from the cooking time. Monitor them every 5-10 minutes or until it’s cooked all the way through.
The old school way. Bake sweet potatoes on a baking sheet in a 400 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes
You can check for doneness with a food thermometer. When the internal temperature reaches 205 to 215 degrees, they’re done.
More Air Fryer Potato Recipes
Air Fryer Sweet Potato
- 2-3 Sweet Potatoes medium similar in size
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2 tsp Flaky Sea Salt
- Wash 2-3 medium sized sweet potatoes and poke steam holes in them using a fork or sharp knife.
- Dry sweet potatoes and rub them with a thin coat of avocado oil.
- Place on air fryer basket and cook for 35-40 minutes at 400.
- Once potatoes are cooked through, remove with tongs and serve hot.