Air Fryer Flounder
If you’re looking for the best way to cook flounder, try using your air fryer or Ninja Foodi! Air Fryer Flounder recipe cooks quickly and easily, so you can enjoy this high-protein fish with your favorite side dishes.
Can flounder be cooked in an air fryer? Yes, the air fryer is a great way to cook any flounder quickly and easily!
Flounder is a saltwater white fish that is found in temperate and tropical waters around the world. The flounder is a flatfish family member, including sole, halibut, and turbot. Flounder are characterized by their flattened bodies and white coloring on one side with brown or dark spots on the other.
This delicate fork tender fish has a mild flavor with a firm texture. When cooked, flounder is white and flaky and similar to haddock, cod, or tilapia. It can be baked, broiled, grilled, pan-fried, sautéed or cooked in the air fryer with minimal ingredients!
Flounder is a low-calorie, low-carbohydrates, low-fat protein source rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health. One 4-ounce serving of flounder contains only 110 calories and 2 grams of fat!
✅Why The Air Fryer Is The Best Way To Cook Flounder
- The air fryer uses dry circulating heat to cook food. This means that the outside of the fish will form a golden brown crust as it stays tender on the inside.
- It cooks quickly. Because the heat constantly circulates, the air fried fish cooks quickly in under 15 minutes.
- No need to turn on the oven. Air frying is the way to go if you’re looking for a quick and easy way to cook fish. You won’t have to heat up your oven and your kitchen will stay cool.
- It’s a healthy cooking method. When you cook in the air fryer, little to no oil is needed. This means that you can enjoy your fish without deep frying.
🐟Key Ingredients & Helpful Tools
- Flounder Fillet – You can find this flounder fish fillets at your local grocery store or fish market. You can also use frozen flounder.
- Cooking Oil – A light brush of avocado oil or cooking oil spray helps the texture of the fish cook properly without adding any flavor. It also helps the seasonings stick.
- Salt & Black Pepper – Used to enhance the flavor of the fish.
- Air Fryer or Ninja Foodi – Use any air fryer you have. We love using the Ninja Foodi because its highly versatile and reliable.
💧How To Cook flounder In Air Fryer
1️⃣Preheat the air fryer: Turn your air fryer to 400F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
2️⃣Prepare the flounder: Pat the fish completely dry with a paper towel. Brush a layer of avocado oil on both sides, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3️⃣Air fry the flounder fillets: Place the flounder in the preheated air fryer basket. Set the timer to 12 minutes. Flip halfway. A half-inch fillet should fully cook in 12 minutes; however, if your fish isn’t fully cooked through, continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145F.
4️⃣Remove and serve: Remove with a spatula and serve while hot. Enjoy!
⏲️Best Time and Temperature To Cook Flounder
What temperature do you air fry flounder and for how long? This depends on how well you like it cooked and what type of fish it is. Generally, you can expect your fish to be cooked in about 12-15 minutes with a temperature of 400F. You can start there and check halfway to see if you’ll need more or less cooking time.
For best results, use a kitchen thermometer to ensure the thickest part of the fish is at a safe internal temperature of 145F.
👩🏻🍳Tips For Cooking Fish In The Air Fryer
Preheating is important: Preheat your air fryer before cooking the fish. This will help the outside of the fish cook evenly without overcooking the inside.
Don’t overcrowd the air fryer: If you overcrowd the air fryer, it will make it harder for air to circulate and properly cook the fish. Make sure to cook in batches if necessary.
Check the fish halfway through: Every air fryer is different so it’s important to check on your fish halfway through cooking. This will help you determine if you need more or less time.
Use a kitchen thermometer: The best way to know when your fish is fully cooked is to use a kitchen thermometer. Insert it into the thickest part of the fish and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 145F.
Let it rest: Once the fish is cooked, let it rest for a few minutes before serving. This will help the juices redistribute so that your fish is nice and juicy.
Serve immediately: Fish is best served immediately after it’s cooked. If you need to make ahead, you can cook the fish and then reheat in the air fryer for a few minutes before serving.
Flounder is a versatile fish that can be seasoned in so many different ways! Try these seasoning ideas below.
- Lemon Pepper – A classic seasoning that’s perfect for air fryer flounder. Serve with fresh lemon juice or lemon wedges.
- Cajun – Add some spice to your fish with this Cajun seasoning.
- Italian – Give your fish an Italian twist with some garlic powder, onion powder, dried basil, parsley, and oregano.
- Panko Crusted – For a crispy flounder, try coating it in some panko bread crumbs or gluten-free panko and paprika. Coat with almond flour for paleo or Whole30.
- Parmesan Crusted – Another crispy option is to coat the flounder in grated Parmesan cheese.
- Old Bay – A seafood favorite that’s perfect for air fryer fish.
- Garlic Butter – A simple seasoning of garlic and butter makes for a delicious air fryer flounder
- Serving Sauces – Serve with salsa, cocktail sauce, or tartar sauce.
🍽️ Best Side Dishes For flounder
There are so many delicious things you can serve with air fryer fish! Here are a few of our favorites:
- Roasted Vegetables
- Air Fryer Mashed Potatoes
- Sous Vide Rice
- Cajun Cauliflower Rice
- Street Corn Pasta Salad
- Air Fryer Frozen Brussels Sprouts
- Ranch Cauliflower Mash
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat it in the air fryer at 350F until warmed through. You can also place it on parchment paper and reheat in the oven at 325 for 12-15 minutes.
Freeze air fryer flounder for up to 3 months. Wrap the cooked pieces carefully in plastic wrap, then in a layer of aluminum foil and place in an airtight container or bag. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
How do I cook frozen flounder?
You can cook frozen flounder in the air fryer. Just preheat the air fryer to 400F and cook for 18-22 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145F.
Is air-fried flounder healthy?
Air-fried flounder is a healthy option because it’s cooked in air instead of oil. This means that it’s lower in calories and fat than traditional fried flounder.
How long does it take to cook fish in the air fryer?
Depending on the size and thickness, fish can be cooked in the air fryer at a temperature of 375F-400F from 12-20 minutes.
🐠More Air Fryer Fish Recipes
Air Fryer Flounder
- air fryer or Ninja Foodi
- 12 oz Flounder filet
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tsp Avocado Oil
- Turn your air fryer to 400F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
- Pat the fish completely dry with a paper towel. Brush a layer of avocado oil on both sides, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the flounder in the preheated air fryer basket. Set the timer to 12 minutes. Flip halfway. A half-inch fillet should fully cook in 12 minutes; however, if your fish isn’t fully cooked through, continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145F.
- Remove with a spatula and serve while hot. Enjoy!