Air Fryer Frozen Burrito
The air fryer can help you achieve a perfectly cooked frozen burrito that’s tasty and delicious. We’ll show you how to make an air fryer frozen burrito quickly and easily with a crispy outside in just 25 minutes or less using your air fryer or Ninja Foodi!
The air fryer has risen to one of the top kitchen appliances over the last few years, and for good reason! The air fryer is essentially a small convection oven with a heating element and fan that circulates hot air around food to cook it more quickly than a conventional oven.
Not only can you cook food like chicken, salmon, or burgers in the air fryer, you can also cook a variety of frozen foods in no time without having to thaw or defrost them!
A frozen microwave burrito can be a quick and filling meal in a pinch, but microwaving a frozen burrito can leave an undesired texture. The outside can become soggy and the inside can be way too hot.
Using the air fryer helps the frozen burrito thaw and cook efficiently with a crispy crunchy outside and a warm middle.
Ready to learn how to cook a frozen burrito using your air fryer? Let’s do it!
🌯 Ingredients & Tools
- Air Fryer or Ninja Foodi – You can use any air fryer you have. I love my Ninja Foodi and have been using it for years for its quality and versatility.
- Frozen Burrito – Any frozen microwavable frozen burrito will work. We love using El Monterey, Red’s, Evol, Amy’s, 365 Whole Foods brand, or any store brand. You can also use this method to cook a frozen breakfast burrito.
- Aluminum Foil – The burrito gets wrapped in aluminum foil for half of the cooking time to ensure the outside doesn’t burn before the inside is cooked through.
🔥 How To Cook Frozen Burritos In Air Fryer
1️⃣ Preheat the air fryer: Turn your air fryer to 400F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
2️⃣ Wrap the burrito in foil: Wrap the frozen burrito in aluminum foil making sure you know what side the seam is on.
3️⃣ Air fry the burrito: Place the foil-wrapped frozen burrito seam side down in the air fryer basket and set the timer for 20 minutes.
4️⃣ Flip and remove foil: After 10 minutes of cooking, carefully remove the burrito with tongs and remove the foil. Place the burrito back in the air fryer seam side up and cook for the remaining 10 minutes.
5️⃣ Test and serve: Poke through with a knife or fork to check if the filling is warmed through. Cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until it’s fully defrosted and cooked. Serve hot.
👩🏻🍳 Chef’s Tips
The total cooking time for this recipe depends on how large your burrito is. Larger burritos may need more cooking time and smaller ones may need less.
If cooking a frozen burrito that contains raw meat, it’s best to use a kitchen thermometer. Check the inside to make sure it’s a safe internal temperature of 165F.
You can cook frozen burritos from frozen or thawed, just adjust the cooking time. For example, a frozen burrito may take 15-18 minutes to cook. A partially defrosted one will take 12-15 minutes to air fryer for best results. Start with 10 minutes of cooking first before checking on it to see if it needs flipping or more time.
If you have an extra-large burrito and need to give it a head start, wrap it in a damp paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute before wrapping in foil and placing it in the preheated air fryer.
The cook time for a frozen burrito in an air fryer is usually 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your burrito.
Yes! A frozen breakfast burrito can be cooked in an air fryer following the same instructions. Just make sure the frozen breakfast burrito doesn’t contain raw meat.
El Monterey frozen burritos can be cooked in an air fryer following the same instructions in the recipe card.
Frozen microwaveable burritos are typically frozen and fully cooked. They just need to be heated up in the air fryer or microwave until warmed through. With that said, some may not be which is why it’s important to have a kitchen thermometer on hand.
Air Fryer Frozen Burrito
- air fryer or Ninja Foodi
- 1 Burrito frozen
- Turn your air fryer to 400F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
- Wrap the frozen burrito in aluminum foil making sure you know what side the seam is on.
- Place the foil-wrapped frozen burrito seam side down in the air fryer basket and set the timer for 20 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of cooking, carefully remove the burrito with tongs and remove the foil. Place the burrito back in the air fryer seam side up and cook for the remaining 10 minutes.
- Poke through with a knife or fork to check if the filling is warmed through. If not, cook for an additional 3-5 minutes or until it’s fully defrosted and cooked. Serve hot.