These Italian Stuffed Mushrooms are a flavorful full meal that is healthy and filled with italian flavors. Perfect for those eating keto, low carb or whole30.
Whenever I think of stuffed mushrooms, I think of the appetizer that gets passed around at fancy parties. Typically, they have crab, breadcrumbs and cheese. They are incredibly delicious and I always wished (or tried) to make a full meal out of them. Italian stuffed mushrooms offer a better idea for stuffed mushrooms that can be customized in a lot of different ways.
I made these Italian stuffed mushrooms with ground turkey and some simple Italian seasonings. The start of the show is definitely fennel seed. It gives the meat a nice “sausage-like” flavor without all of the nitrates and whatever other weirdness sausages have these days. I also used almond flour along with one egg to bind everything together.
Can I use breadcrumbs instead of almond flour?
Regular breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs can be used in this recipe in place of almond flour.
Can I use a different meat in Italian Stuffed Mushrooms?
In this recipe I used turkey but feel free to use:
- Ground Beef
- Ground Chicken
- Ground Bison
- Ground Lamb
- Ground Pork
Italian Stuffed MushroomsPrint
- 4 large Portobello Mushroom Caps
- 1 pound Ground Turkey (or beef, pork, chicken)
- 1 cup Marinara Sauce (compliant marinara)
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seed
- 1/2 piece Onion, minced
- 2 tsp Garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Almond Flour
- 1/8 cup Fresh Basil (FOR GARNISH)
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- In a large bowl, add ground turkey, spices, egg and almond flour.
- Mix with hands until fully combined and divide into 4 equal pieces.
- Press each divided meat “burger” into the portobello mushroom cap.
- Cook in oven at 375 for about 30 minutes or until meat mixture is cooked all the way through (160F)
- Add warmed marinara to top of each mushroom cap before serving.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
- Serving Size: 1 Mushroom Cap
- Calories: 324
- Fat: 16
- Carbohydrates: 13
- Protein: 36
Keywords: italian stuffed mushrooms, whole30 stuffed mushrooms, paleo stuffed mushrooms, keto stuffed mushrooms
Chef Valerie Skinner is a Whole30 approved personal chef & healthy recipe developer that bridges the gap between healthy eating and busy lives by providing simple healthy meals and recipes for you and your family with her personal chef services.
Thyme and JOY is a parnter with the Whole30 Approved program. For more information about the Whole30 reset and Personal chef services in Charleston check out these links: