This buffalo chicken chili marries the flavor of chicken wings with a hearty and healthy meal that all will love that is naturally low carb. Whole30 and Paleo options available!
Let me first start this out by saying that this buffalo chicken chili contains cream cheese. For me, this is what truly MAKES the dish.
You could swap it out for some almond milk cream cheese, 1 cup of coconut cream, or omit it completely, but I am here to tell you that if you can handle cream cheese in your diet, this would be the time.
Out of all the recipes I have on this blog, buffalo recipes reign supreme in content creation. I try hard to think about ways I could Buffalo-ify things, and usually it works!
This chili is no exception and happens to be super hearty. To speed up the process, buy yourself a rotisserie chicken and use the meat for the chili and the bones for my Rotisserie Chicken Bone Broth.
📖 How to Make Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Chili
1️⃣ Turn on the instant pot to saute function and add oil.
2️⃣ Once the oil is warmed up, add garlic, onion, celery, and bell pepper along with a pinch of salt. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
3️⃣To the instant pot, add cooked chicken, Rotel, chicken stock, buffalo sauce, and lime juice. Stir to combine all ingredients.
4️⃣Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Pressure release can be natural or quick release.
5️⃣ Add in cream cheese and chopped cilantro and stir until combined.
6️⃣ Add in more buffalo sauce and salt & pepper until desired taste is reached. Serve with cilantro and lime wedges for garnish.
📖 Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Chili
1️⃣ Buffalo chicken chili can be easily made in a slow cooker or crockpot.
2️⃣ Perform steps 1-2 from instant pot directions in a skillet.
3️⃣ Add skillet contents and other ingredients into the slow cooker.
4️⃣ Cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
5️⃣ Add cream cheese once the chili is cooked through.
🍗 Buffalo Sauce FAQ
Buffalo sauce is a very simple condiment to make as it usually has a mix of hot sauce (Like Frank’s Red Hot) as well as butter mixed in for a tangy and spicy sauce.
As long as there is no added sugar in your buffalo sauce, it is considered keto or low carb.
Buffalo sauce is Whole30 if made with ghee (clarified butter) instead of butter.
Because traditional buffalo sauce contains butter, you must check your labels to see if there is any dairy. There are paleo buffalo sauces you can buy that are completely paleo, like the Buffalo sauce line from The New Primal that comes in 3 different spice levels.
👉 More Healthy Chicken Recipes
Buffalo Chicken Chili
- 4 cups Cooked Boneless Shredded Chicken great use for rotisserie chicken!
- 4 stalks Celery diced
- 1 large Onion diced
- 2 tsp Garlic chopped
- 1 piece Jalapeno small dice
- 1 can Rotel diced tomato + chili
- 2 Bell Peppers diced (one orange, one yellow)
- 2 cups Chicken stock or water
- 1 Lime juiced
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- ¼ cup Cilantro chopped
- ⅓ cup Buffalo Sauce
- 8 oz Cream cheese or dairy free cream cheese
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Turn on instant pot to saute function and add oil.
- Once oil is warmed up, add garlic, onion, celery and bell pepper along with a pinch of salt. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- To the instant pot, add cooked chicken, rotel, chicken stock, buffalo sauce and lime juice. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Pressure release can be natural or quick release.
- Add in cream cheese and chopped cilantro and stir until combined.
- Add in more buffalo sauce and salt & pepper until desired taste is reached.
- Serve with cilantro and lime wedges for garnish