Reverse Sear Skirt Steak
Reverse searing is a foolproof cooking method that produces delicious, juicy, tender skirt steak in the oven every time. Reverse Sear Skirt Steak is an easy way to get perfectly cooked protein for your favorite side dishes!
🥩Can you reverse sear skirt steak?
Yes, you can easily reverse sear skirt steak! This cooking method is a great way to get perfectly cooked skirt steak every time. Skirt steak is a cut of beef that comes from the diaphragm of the cow. It’s a leaner meat cut, which can sometimes be tough if not cooked properly.
The reverse sear method is a simple cooking technique that involves searing meat after it has been cooked slowly at a lower temperature. This reverse-searing skirt steak produces tender, juicy beef that is not dry or overcooked.
Reverse searing also allows for better caramelization of the exterior of the meat, resulting in a delicious crust when cooked in the oven.
🧂Ingredients and Tools
- Skirt Steak– Similar to flank steak, skirt steak is a tough cut of meat that can be found in the beef section of the grocery store.
- Seasonings – You can use just about anything to season your meat. We love using a simple blend of kosher salt, garlic, and black pepper. Just mix in a small bowl with a spoon before dry rubbing onto the meat.
- Cooking Oil – An oil such as, avocado oil, coconut oil or another high smoke point oil is best for broiling the beef after its been reverse seared.
- Oven Safe Cooking Rack – Use this on top of a rimmed baking sheet to ensure the heat gets circulated all around the surfaces of the meat.
- Meat Thermometer – A quality kitchen thermometer with a long probe is key to reverse searing any meat. For a top-of-the-line thermometer, use the Meater. For an inexpensive option, try the ThermPro.
📖How To Reverse Sear Skirt Steak In The Oven
1️⃣Preheat the oven: Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. While the oven is preheating, let the skirt steak sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes to take off the chill.
2️⃣Season the steak: Pat the meat dry with a paper towel. Season the steak with your favorite seasonings.
3️⃣Place the beef on a rack: Place the steak on a wire rack over a baking sheet and place it in the oven.
4️⃣Cook until the internal temperature reaches 120-130 degrees F: Cook the beef in the oven until the internal temperature reaches 120-130F degrees Fahrenheit, about 20 minutes. This will result in steak that is rare to medium rare. Use an oven-safe kitchen thermometer for accurate results.
5️⃣Remove from the oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes: Remove the beef from the oven and place foil over the top for 15 minutes.
6️⃣Sear the steak: Add cooking oil to a large pan or cast iron skillet. Turn the heat to high and let it get hot. Sear the skirt steak on each side for 60-90 seconds on each side, or until nice and browned all over.
7️⃣Remove from the heat and let rest for 5 minutes: Remove the beef from the heat and add foil back to the top. Let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
👩🍳Reverse Sear Cooking Tips
Always pat the meat dry: This will help the seasonings stick to the meat and prevent unwanted moisture.
Take the chill off: Letting the meat rest before cooking is important because it lets the proteins relax, keeping the meat from getting tough when going from hot to cold.
Use an oven-safe meat thermometer: This will allow you to accurately cook the meat to the correct temperature without opening the oven door and letting out heat. Use a temperature probe thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat.
Rest the meat after searing: Resting the meat allows the juices to redistribute, resulting in juicier and more flavorful steak.
Sear at high temperature: Whether you are pan searing in a cast iron pan, grilling, or smoking, ensure that the temperature is very hot before searing. Low temperatures will cause the meat to stay in longer, further increasing the internal temperature and making it dry.
🌿Skirt Steak Seasoning Ideas
- Chimmichurri: A flavorful and bright Argentinean sauce made with parsley, cilantro, garlic, olive oil, and vinegar.
- Southwest: Mix together chili powder, smoked paprika, cumin, garlic powder, and salt.
- Herbes de Provence: A classic French blend of rosemary, thyme, basil, and oregano.
- Cajun: A zesty blend of paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper.
- Asian: A sweet and savory mix of brown sugar, ginger,five-spice powder, and soy sauce.
How long does it take to reverse sear skirt steak at 225F?
Generally, it takes about 25-30 minutes per pound of meat to get to a temperature that is between rare and medium rare. Cook for longer if you want your steak to be medium or well done.
Is reverse sear better for skirt steak?
There are many cooking methods you can use to make the perfect skirt steak. The reverse sear method is one of the best because it is a tough cut of meat that is best cooked to rare or medium rare on the inside.
Do you flip a steak when reverse searing?
You do not need to flip the steak while it is cooking in the oven. The steak is on a wire rack, allowing it to be cooked evenly. Once you remove it from the oven, you will sear it on each side for 60-90 seconds.
Reverse Sear Skirt Steak
- Oven Safe Cooking Rack
- Meat Thermometer
- 1.5 pound Skirt Steak
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil (with high smoke point)
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees F. While the oven is preheating, let the skirt steak sit at room temperature for 15-20 minutes to take off the chill.
- Pat the meat dry with a paper towel. Season the skirt steak with your favorite seasonings.
- Place the steak on a wire rack over a baking sheet and place it in the oven.
- Cook the beef in the oven until the internal temperature reaches 120-130F degrees Fahrenheit, about 25 minutes. This will result in steak that is rare to medium rare. Use an oven-safe kitchen thermometer for accurate results.
- Remove the beef from the oven and place foil over the top for 15 minutes.
- Add cooking oil to a large pan or cast iron skillet. Turn the heat to high and let it get hot. Sear the skirt steak on each side for 60-90 seconds on each side, or until nice and browned all over.
- Remove the steak from the heat and add the foil back to the top. Let it rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.