This easy Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole is made directly in your pressure cooker with eggs, onion, pepper and frozen breakfast potatoes. Great for a quick and healthy protein packed breakfast that can be customized many different ways!
Eggs really are the ultimate food as far as I’m concerned, especially when they are in casserole or fritatta form. The fact that you can add any combination of meats or vegetables to customize makes it easy for anyone to make something they enjoy any time of the day.
The Instant Pot is a great tool for eggs too! I usually make a huge batch of hard boiled eggs in my instant pot for snacks during the week.
🥓 Ingredients & Equipment You’ll Need
- Fully Cooked Bacon – is chopped up into the egg mixture for a salty bite.
- Frozen Breakfast Potatoes – will go on the bottom of the cake pan and will act as a crust.
- Eggs – bind all the ingredients together and are the main protein source in this breakfast.
- Heavy Cream – is mixed in with the eggs to create a smooth texture.
- Shredded Cheese – pairs well with all of the ingredients in this breakfast casserole.
- Salt & Pepper – balance out all the flavors of the dish.
- Cooking Oil – to spread on the pan to prevent from sticking.
- Parchment Paper – will be placed on the bottom to make sure it comes out of the pan when cooked.
- 9″ Cake Pan – This is what I used to make the casserole. However, use whatever will fit your Instant Pot comfortably.
📖 How to Make Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole with Potatoes
Before making this recipe, make sure your cake pan fits. If it doesn’t fit on the trivet, use bunched up aluminum foil to create a bed that keeps the cake pan above the water.
1️⃣ Prepare cake pan:
Cut out a piece of parchment paper that fits in the bottom of the cake pan. Grease your cake pan with olive or avocado oil, spraying the surface of the parchment paper.
2️⃣ Thaw frozen potatoes:
Thaw frozen potatoes in microwave or on stove top until no longer frozen. They still can be cold.
3️⃣ Make casserole mixture:
In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Fold in bacon and cheese until evenly distributed.
4️⃣ Assemble casserole in cake pan:
Add thawed potatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the greased cake pan. Pour the egg mixture over top. Then, add 1 cup of water to the bottom of the pot and place trivet inside followd by the cake pan on top of the trivet.
5️⃣ Pressure cook casserole:
Cook on manual high pressure for 20 minutes. Use a quick or natural release of pressure. Liquid may be on top of casserole. Let stand for 5 minutes to let absorb. Remove casserole and enjoy!
🧑🍳 Recipe Tips
- You may need a larger Instant Pot for this recipe to work. So make sure you check first! I use a 9 inch cake pan that fits on the trivet, so I can keep the pan from touching where the water bath would be.
- That said, you can make this casserole without a trivet by making a trivet out of aluminum foil. Make sure the foil is flat and raises the cake pan off the bottom enough to not have the pan sitting in water.
- I use the Ninja Foodi pressure cooker and air fryer all in one that fits my favorite cake pan just perfect.
👉 Cooking with Frozen Potatoes in the Instant Pot
Potatoes make a great addition to breakfast casseroles because they add a hearty source of carbs to make it a full meal. In this recipe, I used cubed frozen breakfast potatoes that can be found in any grocery store. To use breakfast potatoes in the Instant Pot:
- Defrost them overnight until fully thawed. They do not need to be cooked as package states as they will be cooked in the pressure cooker.
- The reason to thaw them is because we don’t want the water to release into the casserole and make it soggy.
- Alternatively, you could use frozen shredded hash browns or tater tots as long as they are fully defrosted.
- You can also use fresh potatoes, but make sure they are diced small so they cook all the way through.
Add frozen or freshly diced sweet potato for a different twist.
Use your favorite breakfast meat such as: cooked breakfast sausage, ham, turkey etc.
Spice it up by adding some diced jalapenos.
Make it a savory dinner casserole by adding bbq chicken or your favorite flavors.
Make it keto or low carb by omitting the potatoes completely.
Add shredded cheese such as: mozzarella, gruyere, or pepperjack.
♻️ Storing & Freezing
Storing: After the casserole is cooled, slice into 4 to 6 pieces and place in an airtight container with a lid in the fridge. It will last for one week and can be heated in the microwave or eaten cold.
Freezing: You can freeze this casserole by wrapping each piece in plastic wrap, then foil for up to 2 months. Be aware that the protein structures may change the texture after being frozen.
More Easy Instant Pot Recipes
Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
- 8 slices Bacon fully cooked and chopped
- 3 cups Frozen Breakfast Potatoes
- 6 Eggs
- ¼ cup Heavy Cream
- ½ cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- ⅛ tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Olive or Avocado Oil
- Parchment Paper
- Before making this recipe, make sure your cake pan fits into your instant pot. If it doesn’t fit on the trivet, use bunched up aluminum foil to create a bed that keeps the cake pan above the water.
- Cut out a piece of parchment paper that fits in the bottom of the cake pan. Grease your cake pan with olive or avocado oil including on top of the parchment paper.
- Defrost frozen potatoes in microwave or on stove top until no longer frozen. They still can be cold.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, heavy cream, salt and pepper. Fold in bacon and cheese until evenly distributed.
- Add defrosted potatoes in an even layer on the bottom of the greased cake pan and pour egg mixture over top.
- Add 1 cup of water to the bottom of your instant pot and place trivet inside and cake pan on top of trivet.
- Cook on manual high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Use a quick or natural release of pressure. Liquid may be on top of casserole. Let stand for 5 minutes to let absorb.
- Remove casserole from instant pot