This Thanksgiving Mojito recipe puts a fall-inspired twist on a classic rum drink. Apple cider, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice are combined with a standard mojito to make this festive cocktail.
This Thanksgiving mojito is my new favorite drink during the holiday season. The bold pumpkin apple spice and minty lemon-lime are the perfect combination of flavors to sip alongside a huge savory Thanksgiving dinner.
However, these drinks are great year round and you don't need any special bartending training to mix them up. This Thanksgiving mojito recipe is definitely one you're going to want to save for later and your 21+ friends and family will thank you for it. Enjoy!
💗 Why You'll Love this Drink Recipe
Mojitos are a great drink to serve at gatherings because everything can be prepared in advance and quickly assembled for each guest fresh-to-order.
Need more? This recipe is easy to double or triple in a cinch.
Not to mention, it's delicious. This sweet and spiced mojito is almost too good.
And if need be, you can make virgin mojitos for the non-drinkers around your Thanksgiving table. What's not to love?
🍹Ingredients You'll Need
- Apple Cider - adds undeniable crisp fall flavor.
- Pumpkin Puree - adds flavor and gives the drink a frothy texture when stirred. For a sweeter cocktail, you can use pumpkin pie filing.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice - for a combination of warming fall flavors.
- Lime Wedges - for vibrant citrus flavor.
- Sea Salt - makes it easier to muddle the lime wedges and mint leaves. Sea salt also enhances flavor.
- Lime Juice - adds another layer of bright, citrus-y flavor.
- White Rum - for a traditional liquor found in mojitos.
- Mint Leaves - because this recipe wouldn't be a mojito without them.
- Sparking Water or Club Soda - just a splash per drink.
- Lime - cut into slices or wheels.
- Apple - thinly sliced.
- Mint Leaves - Be sure to use spearmint, NOT peppermint.
📖 How to Make a Thanksgiving Mojito
1️⃣ In a small bowl, stir together apple cider, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice until smooth and well-combined. Set aside.
2️⃣ In a cocktail shaker, add lime wedges, mint and salt. Using a muddler or a heavy wooden spoon handle, muddle the mint and lime to release the natural oils and aromas.
3️⃣ Then, add the apple cider mixture, lime juice and white rum to the shaker. Shake vigorously for 1 minute.
4️⃣ Fill a wide-mouth mason jar or pint glass with ice and strain contents of shaker over ice. Top with a splash of sparking water or club soda and garnish with mint leaves, lime wheels and apple slices.
🍈 Tips for Making Mojitos
Make sure you have a few extra limes. You will need 1 lime for the drink and a few extra for fresh squeezed juice and for garnishes.
No cocktail shaker? Simply stir the drink vigorously before straining or "toss" the cocktail back and forth between two glasses until mixed thoroughly.
To make Thanksgiving mojitos in advance, strain into a container with a lid (do not top with club soda) and store in the fridge overnight. Before serving, strain over a glass of ice, top with a splash of club soda and garnish.
There isn't any sugar in these mojitos because the apple cider is already super sweet. Feel free to add simple syrup to taste if you'd like.
🥤How to Make a Virgin Thanksgiving Mojito
There's no reason for the kids and the non-drinkers to feel left out when you can also make an alcohol-free version by replacing apple cider with sparking apple juice and leaving out the rum.
1️⃣ In a small bowl, stir together sparking apple juice, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice until smooth and well-combined. Set aside.
2️⃣ In a cocktail shaker, add lime wedges, mint and salt. Using a muddler or a heavy wooden spoon, muddle the mint and lime to release the natural oils and flavors.
3️⃣ Then, add the apple cider mixture and lime juice to the shaker. Shake vigorously for 1 minute.
4️⃣ Strain and serve in a glass over ice. Top with sparkling water and garnish with mint, lime wedges and apple slices.
📝NOTE: If you'd prefer not to make two separate batches of mojito (one with alcohol and one without), you could always mix up a large pitcher and then serve the bottle of rum on the side, so your adult guests can add booze as they please.
♻️ Storing & Freezing
Storing - Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. Store garnishes separately.
Freezing - The rum will prevent mojitos from freezing solid but you can still store leftovers in the freezer for up to a month. When ready to serve, let the liquid thaw and then serve over ice OR enjoy straight from the freezer as a frosty frozen mojito.
More Holiday Drink Recipes
Yes. A traditional mojito has white rum, but a quality spiced dark rum (aka Captain Morgan) in this recipe will taste great.
Yes. Your mojitos won't be quite as potent and the flavor will not be exactly the same but you can use apple juice. Just add more pumpkin pie spice! 🙂
Bacardi Superior White Rum and Captain Morgan White Rum are both smooth, easy to find, quality white rums with budget-friendly price tags.
Spearmint is used in mojitos -not to be confused with peppermint which has an entirely different flavor.
Yes. White rum and light rum are the same. They are both clear and relatively flavorless.
Thanksgiving Mojito (Pumpkin Apple Spice)
- Muddler or Sturdy Wooden Spoon
- wide mouth mason jar or pint glass
- Cocktail Shaker
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin puree
- ⅛ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- 10 mint leaves
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 4 ounces white rum
- 1 splash sparkling water or club soda
- lime slices or wheels
- apple thinly sliced
- mint leaves
- In a small bowl, stir together apple cider, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice until smooth and well-combined. Set aside.
- ️In a cocktail shaker, add lime wedges, mint and salt. Using a muddler or a heavy wooden spoon, press into the mint and lime to release the natural oils and flavors.
- Then, add the apple cider mixture, lime juice and rum to the shaker. Shake vigorously for 1 minute.
- Fill a wide mouth mason jar or pint glass with ice and strain contents of shaker over ice. Top with a splash of sparking water or club soda and garnish with mint leaves, lime wedges and apple slices.