Air Fryer Bone In Chicken Thighs is an easy way to get a perfectly cooked piece of chicken in no time! Use it in your favorite meals, or enjoy it alone with your favorite side dishes!
Cooking chicken thighs with the bone in helps the chicken to remain juicy and tender, and the air fryer or Ninja Foodi is a great way to accomplish this!
🍗Why The Air Fryer Is The Best Way To Cook Bone In Chicken Thighs
- The hot air circulates around the food, ensuring that it’s cooked evenly and quickly. This ensures that your chicken thighs are juicy and flavorful every time!
- Air-fried chicken also requires less oil than traditional frying methods, making it a much healthier option.
- It takes a fraction of the time to cook compared to traditional methods like the oven or grill.
- Clean-up is a breeze! No need to wash a bunch of pots and pans. Just clean the air fryer basket, and you’re good to go.
🧂Ingredients You’ll Need
- Bone In Chicken Thighs – Chicken thighs with the bone in and skin on are easy to find and budget-friendly! With the bone in and skin on, they turn out succulent and tender. You can also use chicken thighs with the skin off.
- Olive Oil – Helps the seasoning stick to the chicken thighs while giving the chicken a crust on the outside, so it stays tender on the inside.
- Dried Seasonings – A mix of salt, pepper, and garlic powder work together to give the chicken thighs a great flavor that can easily be added to.
📖How To Cook Bone In Chicken Thighs In Air Fryer
1️⃣Assemble the chicken marinade: Add dried seasonings to a small bowl, along with the olive oil and mix until fully combined.
2️⃣Prepare the chicken: Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel and trim off any excess fat. Coat both sides of the chicken with the seasoning mixture.
3️⃣Let the chicken rest: For best results, let the chicken thighs rest outside of the air fryer for 12-15 minutes to take the chill off. This will ensure perfectly tender meat.
4️⃣Preheat the air fryer: Turn the air fryer to 375F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
5️⃣Air fry chicken thighs: Place the chicken in the air fryer basket skin side down and cook at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Using tongs, turn the chicken over and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165° internally.
6️⃣Rest and serve: Remove chicken and place on a plate. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
⏲How Long It Takes To Cook Bone In Chicken Thighs In Air Fryer
This will depend on the size of your chicken thighs. Use the chart below for a general idea of how long it will take to cook your chicken in the air fryer fully. Larger chicken thighs weighing around 6 ounces will take about 25 minutes to cook whereas smaller 4-ounce chicken thighs will take around 18-20 minutes to cook fully. Always use a kitchen thermometer to check the internal temperature.
- Letting the chicken rest after cooking is important as it helps retain the juices and prevents it from drying out.
- The best way to check if your chicken is cooked through is by inserting a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the chicken and making sure it reads at least 165° F.
- Use tongs to turn the chicken over in the air fryer to ensure even cooking on both sides.
- Don’t overcrowd your air fryer basket; cook the chicken thighs in batches if necessary.
Chicken thighs can be seasoned in a variety of different ways before cooking. Here are some of our favorite ideas:
- Garlic Parmesan: Mix together 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and ½ teaspoon each of oregano and paprika.
- Lemon Herb: Combine 1 tablespoon lemon zest, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon parsley flakes, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Cajun Spice: Mix together 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, ¼ teaspoon each of garlic powder and onion powder, and ⅛ teaspoon each of cayenne pepper and black pepper.
- Southwest: Combine 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, and ¼ teaspoon each of smoked paprika, oregano, and cayenne pepper.
❄Storing & Freezing
Storing: Once cooled, store the cooked chicken thighs in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Freezing: Place cooled chicken in a ziplock bag and remove as much of the air as possible. Freeze for up to four months. Let the chicken thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Reheating: The best way to reheat air fryer chicken thighs is in the air fryer once again! Preheat the air fryer to 350° and cook for 5-7 minutes until heated through. Make sure to turn the chicken over halfway through cooking. Enjoy!
Can I cook frozen chicken thighs in the air fryer?
If you’re using frozen chicken thighs, you will need to cook it for an additional 20-25 minutes at 400°F or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
How do you keep chicken thighs from drying out in the air fryer?
One way to keep chicken from drying out in the air fryer is to ensure you’re using the correct cooking temperature and don’t overcook it. Also, try marinating your chicken for a few hours before air frying it for added flavor and moisture.
🍗More Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
Air Fryer Bone In Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer or Ninja Foodi
- small bowl
- 4 chicken thighs bone in and skin on (about two pounds total)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Add dried seasonings to a small bowl, along with the olive oil and mix until fully combined.
- Pat the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel and trim off any excess fat. Coat both sides of the chicken with the seasoning mixture.
- Let the chicken thighs rest outside the air fryer for 12-15 minutes to take the chill off for best results. This will ensure perfectly tender meat.
- Turn the air fryer to 375F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer basket skin side down and cook at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Using tongs, turn the chicken over and continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the chicken reaches 165° internally.
- Remove chicken and place on a plate. Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing and serving.