Air Fryer Chicken Burgers are a quick and easy way to have perfectly cooked chicken in hamburger form on the table in 15 minutes or less that are juicy, tender, and ready for your favorite toppings using your favorite air fryer or Ninja Foodi!
Can I cook chicken burgers in the air fryer? Yes, whether fresh or frozen, you can easily make chicken burgers using your favorite air fryer or Ninja Foodi.
Burgers are an iconic food people enjoy worldwide, and making chicken burgers in the air fryer is a delicious and easy way to enjoy this classic dish, especially with french fries, sweet potatoes (sweet potato fries), or corn on the cob.
In this recipe, ground chicken is used to make burger patties. This meat is high in protein and low in fat, so it’s a healthier alternative to ground beef!
✅Why is the air fryer the best way to make a chicken burger?
- The air fryer uses dry circulating hot air to cook food. This means that your chicken burgers will be cooked evenly on all sides, giving the burger a golden brown outside and tender inside.
- The air fryer cooks food faster than other methods so that you can have delicious burgers in a fraction of the time. Most burgers take just 15 minutes or less to cook.
- You can add cheese, your favorite seasonings, and even toast the burger bun right in the air fryer.
- No need to head outside to the grill or fire up the stovetop. The air fryer uses a small amount of heat and electricity and contains it all in one device, making clean-up easy!
Ready to learn how to make air fryer chicken burgers? Let’s do it!
🐔What You’ll Need
- Ground Chicken – Ground chicken can be found at any grocery store in the meat aisle. Make sure you do not purchase the 99% lean ground chicken as this will become too dry in the air fryer.
- Seasonings – Simple dried seasonings such as salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika and onion powder can be used to bring out the natural flavors of the burger. You can also use other seasoning blends such as Montreal steak seasoning, fajita seasoning, or even make your own blend.
Equipment & Tools
- Air Fryer – Our favorite air fryer is the Ninja Foodi Multi-Cooker because it’s reliable and has many functions. Still, you can also use any popular air fryer brand, including the Cosori Air Fryer, Black and Decker, Chefman, Dash, Farberare, Power Air Fryer XL, and more.
- Spatula – A heat-safe spatula is used to safely flip the burgers and remove them from the air fryer.
- Kitchen Thermometer – Use this if you want to make sure your burgers are cooked through to the safe internal temperature of 160F.
❤️🔥How To Cook Chicken Burgers In The Air Fryer (Instructions)
1️⃣Form the burger patties: Let the meat rest for 10-12 minutes outside of the refrigerator to take the chill off. Add the ground meat to a medium-sized mixing bowl and the dried seasonings. Work the seasonings into the mixture just until combined without overworking. Split each pound into four evenly sized pieces and shape into circles that are 1/2 inch thick. Use your thumb or a spoon to create a well in the middle for even cooking.
2️⃣Preheat the air fryer: Turn on your air fryer and preheat it at 375F for 3-5 minutes.
3️⃣Air fry burger patties: Add the burger patties in a single layer without overlapping at the bottom of the air fryer basket. Cook for 15 minutes, flipping halfway with a heat-safe spatula. More or less time may be needed depending on how thick your burger patties are. Once cooked, remove with a spatula and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
4️⃣To make a cheeseburger: After the timer goes off and the burgers are completely cooked to your liking, add a slice of cheese to the top of each, then close the lid of the air fryer and let the residual heat melt the cheddar cheese or American cheese.
5️⃣How to toast a hamburger bun in the air fryer: Place the hamburger buns cut side up in the air fryer and toast the buns at 375F for 2-5 minutes or until golden brown. Top your burgers with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, bacon, ketchup, mustard, or bbq sauce.
⏲️Best Time and Temperature For Air Fryer Chicken Burgers
How long to cook chicken burgers in the air fryer depends on how thick your burger patties are and how well done you like them cooked. Generally, 15 minutes at 375F will produce a medium burger. Use a temperature thermometer to get the correct doneness to your liking.
- Rare – 375F for 10 minutes
- Medium Rare – 375F for 12 minutes
- Medium – 375F for 15 minutes
- Well Done – 400F for 12-15 minutes
👩🏻🍳Air Fryer Cooking Tips
- Keep burgers from shrinking by making a small divot in the center of each patty. Also make sure not to overwork the meat when mixing in the seasonings.
- For juicier burgers, you can add a little beef broth, beer, or Worcestershire sauce to the ground beef before mixing in the seasonings.
- If you don’t have any pre-made burger patties on hand and don’t want to make your own, you can cook frozen burgers in the air fryer.
- It’s important to let the meat rest before cooking to ensure the meat does not get too tough when going from cold to hot.
- Letting the burgers rest after cooking ensures that all the juices stay in the burger and don’t end up on your plate.
- When forming the burger patties, do not overwork the meat as this will make the proteins tough, and the burgers will be dry and tough.
- The safe internal temperature for burgers is 160F; use a meat thermometer to check.
- When adding the chicken burger patties to the air fryer, ensure they are in a single even layer. This will help them cook evenly. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to cook the burgers in batches.
- Add some butter or spray a light layer of cooking oil for extra crispy burgers on top. Best oil and cooking spray for air fryer.
- Using foil in the air fryer can help with cleanup, but only if you have the right type of air fryer. To use foil, place it UNDER the air fryer basket to catch any excess grease. Placing foil directly under the meat will cause the air not to circulate properly, which will not cook your burger evenly.
Storing: Cooked burgers last in the fridge for about 4-5 days, depending on how well they are handled and stored.
Freezing: To freeze cooked burgers from the air fryer, make sure they are cooled completely, then place them in an airtight container or freezer bag wrapped tightly in plastic wrap. Frozen cooked burgers will last for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Reheating: Reheat burgers in the air fryer by placing them in the air fryer basket and cooking at 375F for 5-8 minutes until warmed through. You can also reheat on the stovetop over medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side.
What’s the best ground to use to make burgers?
For this recipe, an 85% lean meat to 15% fat ratio is best as it keeps the burgers from shrinking too much but still has a juicy, tender texture. Do not use super lean meat as it tends to dry out very quickly.
Can I cook frozen chicken burgers on the stovetop?
How long do chicken burgers in the air fryer take?
Generally, cooking burgers in the air fryer will take 15 minutes. For more well-done burgers, you may need an additional 2-3 minutes. For burgers on the rare side, you’ll need 2-3 minutes less of cooking time.
What temperature do you cook chicken burgers in an air fryer?
The best temperature to make burgers in the air fryer sits at 375F though you can cook burgers at 350F or 400F if you adjust the cooking time to your liking.
How long do you cook chicken burgers at 400 degrees?
Burgers cooked in the air fryer at 400 degrees will cook in 12-15 minutes, depending on their size and how well done you like them.
🍔Easy Air Fryer Burger Recipes
This air fryer chicken burger recipe is just one of our favorite air fryer recipes! Check out all of the ways you can air-fry hamburgers below!
- Air Fryer Frozen Burger
- Air Fryer Frozen Turkey Burger
- Air Fryer Frozen Salmon Burger
- Air Fryer Impossible Burger
- Air Fryer Beyond Burger
- Air Fryer Lamb Burger
- Air Fryer Bison Burger
- Air Fryer Turkey Burger (Fresh)
- Air Fryer Pork Burger
- Air Fryer White Castle Burger
- Air Fryer Frozen Veggie Burger
Air Fryer Chicken Burgers
- air fryer
- Heat Safe Spatula
- Kitchen Thermometer
- 1 pound ground chicken 85/15
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Let the meat rest for 10-12 minutes outside of the refrigerator to take the chill off.
- Add the ground chicken to a medium-sized mixing bowl and the dried seasonings.
- Work the seasonings into the mixture just until combined without overworking.
- Split each pound into four evenly sized pieces and shape into circles that are 1/2 inch thick.
- Use your thumb or a spoon to create a well in the middle for even cooking.
- Turn on your air fryer and preheat it at 375F for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chicken burger patties in a single layer without overlapping at the bottom of the air fryer basket.
- Cook for 15 minutes flipping halfway with a heat-safe spatula.
- Once cooked, remove with a spatula and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
To make a chicken cheeseburger:
- After the timer goes off and the chicken burgers are completely cooked to your liking, add a slice of cheese to the top of each, then close the lid of the air fryer and let the residual heat melt the cheddar cheese or American cheese.
How to toast a hamburger bun in the air fryer:
- Place the hamburger buns cut side up in the air fryer and toast the buns at 375F for 2-5 minutes or until golden brown. Top your burgers with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, bacon, ketchup, mustard or bbq sauce.