Air Fryer Polenta Fries
Looking for a healthier alternative to traditional french fries? Try Air Fryer Polenta Fries! This easy recipe is perfect for a quick snack or side dish. Slice polenta into french fry shapes and air fry until golden brown in your air fryer or Ninja Foodi!
Polenta is a dish made from boiled cornmeal. It originates from Northern Italy and is commonly served as a porridge or mush. Polenta can also be cooled and firmed up then cut into shapes and fried or baked.
One of the ways it can be served is in french fry form! Purchase a roll of pre-made polenta, then cut it into stick shapes that resemble french fries. While they are traditionally roasted in the oven, the air fryer is a great way to make polenta fries.
Air fryer polenta fries are a healthier alternative to traditional fried french fries. When you air fry polenta, there is no need for oil! Simply place your sliced polenta into the air fryer basket and cook until golden brown.
The texture is best when air-fried because it gets crispy on the outside while remaining soft and fluffy on the inside making them the perfect snack to serve with your favorite dipping sauces!
Ingredients & Tools
Polenta – You’ll want to purchase a pre-made roll or log of polenta. These can be found in the international section of your grocery store or ordered online. The standard size for one roll is 18 ounces. Popular brands include 365 Everyday Value, San Gennaro, and Ancient Harvest.
Seasonings – A bit of salt and pepper can be used to season the polenta to taste.
Cooking Oil Spray – A light coating of neutral-flavored cooking oil will help get the polenta nice and crispy without having to deep fry it.
Air Fryer – Any air fryer will do the job, but we recommend the Ninja Foodi! The Ninja Foodi is a multi-use kitchen appliance that can air fry, slow cook, steam, bake, and more.
How To Make Polenta Fries In The Air Fryer
Preheat the air fryer: Turn on the air fryer and set it to 375F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
Prepare the polenta: Remove the polenta from the package and slice it into fry shapes. If the polenta is too hard to cut, microwave it for 30-60 seconds until it’s slightly softened and more pliable.
Season the polenta: Place the polenta fries in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Coat with cooking spray: Lightly coat the polenta fries with cooking spray.
Air fry: Place the polenta fries in the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 15-20 minutes flipping halfway, or until golden brown and crispy.
Remove and serve: Remove from the air fryer with tongs and serve with your favorite dipping sauce!
Tips For Making Polenta Fries
- For extra crispy polenta fries, try coating them with a bit of cornstarch before air frying.
- Use a cooking oil that has a neutral taste such as avocado oil, grapeseed oil, or vegetable oil.
- Do not overcrowd the air fryer basket. If necessary, cook the polenta fries in batches.
- Serve air fryer polenta fries immediately as they are best when crispy.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese right before serving for an extra salty Italian flavor.
- Not all air fryers are created equal. Depending on the size and model of your air fryer, you may need to cook the polenta fries for more or less time.
- Serve your polenta fries air fryer with your favorite dipping sauce! We love them with ketchup, BBQ sauce, marinara sauce, alfredo sauce, or ranch dressing
How do you eat tubed polenta?
Polenta is traditionally served as a porridge or mush. It can also be cooled and firmed up, then cut into shapes and fried or baked.
How do you air fry polenta without sticking?
First, make sure you preheat the air fryer. This will make sure the crispy crust forms right away. You’ll also want to make sure you spray the polenta with a light coating of oil to keep it from sticking on the basket.
What is the difference between polenta and grits?
Polenta is made with yellow cornmeal while grits are made with white cornmeal. They have a similar texture but polenta has a slightly sweeter flavor than grits.
🍟More Air Fryer Fry Recipes
- Air Fryer Crinkle Cut Fries
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries
- Air Fryer Yuca Fries
- Air Fryer Steak Fries
- Air Fryer Frozen Diced Potatoes
- Air Fryer Waffle Fries
Air Fryer Polenta Fries
- air fryer or Ninja Foodi
- 18 oz Polenta prepared (in a log or tube)
- 1 tsp Cooking Oil spray
- ½ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ cup Parmesan Cheese grated for garnish
- Turn on the air fryer and set it to 375F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the polenta from the package and slice it into fry shapes. If the polenta is too hard to cut, microwave it for 30-60 seconds until it’s slightly softened and more pliable.
- Place the polenta fries in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly coat the polenta fries with cooking spray.
- Place the polenta fries in the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for 15-20 minutes flipping halfway, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the air fryer with tongs, sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and serve with your favorite dipping sauce!