This Italian wedding soup is warming, comforting and full of clean ingredients like homemade chicken meatballs, carrots, celery, onion, potatoes and kale. Perfect for those on a paleo, or whole30 reset.
I really don’t know the story of how Italian wedding soup came to be. I’ve always just had it at Olive Garden or diners growing up in NJ.
I actually thought it was a magical thing served at weddings which I thought was kind of weird… but I’m here for it.
This particular Italian wedding soup is made with really clean and simple ingredients and contains no pasta. Instead, there is some potato to lend a hand to its hearty nature.
What is Italian Wedding Soup?
Originally called wedding soup, Italian wedding soup is an Italian soup is the “marriage” between meat and green vegetables and can have many different variations.
Italian wedding soup is very popular in America and is on the menu at a lot of Italian American restaurants.
How do you make Italian Wedding Soup?
To make Italian wedding soup, first you must make mini meat balls using ground chicken, turkey or beef. Make sure to season them, add an egg and roll them into little meatballs.
Saute your vegetables like carrots, onion, celery and potatoes and then add chicken broth or vegetable broth.
Once broth comes to a boil, drop in your meatballs like dumplings and simmer the soup until meat and potatoes are cooked through.
When the soup is cooked through, that’s when you add your greens like chard, spinach or kale.
What spices are in Italian Wedding Soup?
Italian wedding soup spices can vary depending on what you decide to put in it. I like using the spices that are common in poultry seasoning such as:
Can I make Keto Italian Wedding Soup?
In order to make keto Italian wedding soup, you must eliminate the potatoes in this recipe. Instead, you could replace the potatoes with diced zucchini for a low carb keto soup.
Instant Pot Italian Wedding Soup Recipe:
- If you’d like to make this recipe using your instant pot, follow these instructions:
- Using 2 tsp oil, brown your meatballs on LOW saute in your instant pot.
- Remove meatballs and add carrots, celery onion, garlic and potatoes and saute for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add stock or broth to pot and add meatballs back in.
- Cook soup on manual HIGH pressure for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chopped kale while soup is hot.
- French Onion Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Instant Pot Butternut Squash
Italian Wedding Soup
FOR CHICKEN MEATBALLS
- 1 pound Ground Chicken
- 1/4 cup Red Onion, minced
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Poultry Seasoning
- Salt/Pepper to taste
FOR CHICKEN MEATBALLS
- In a bowl, add ground chicken, onion, garlic and poultry seasoning and combine gently with hands until all ingredients are fully incorporated.
- Shape chicken meatballs into 1" balls with hands or use a melon baller to drop in the soup while it is boiling to cook all the way through.
FOR SOUP BASE
- In a large pot, heat up 1 tbsp avocado oil over medium high heat. Add carrots, celery, onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in potatoes, thyme, rosemary, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper and continue to saute another 5 minutes.
- Add 8 cups of broth or stock to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add in chicken meatballs and continue to boil for 15 minutes.
- Bring soup down to a simmer for 20 minutes or until chicken meatballs and potatoes are fully cooked through.
- Stir in raw chopped kale until fully wilted.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1.5 cups
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120
Valerie Skinner is a Whole30 approved personal chef & recipe developer that bridges the gap between healthy eating and busy lives by providing simple healthy meals and recipes for you and your family.