Air Fryer Potato Wedges
These Air Fryer Potato Wedges are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, and they only take about 15 minutes to make! Serve them as a side dish at your next dinner party or pack them in your lunch box for a quick and easy snack.
The air fryer can cook many different types of foods, but I have to say that the type of food that gets cooked the most in our air fryer is any air fryer potato recipe!
This recipe for air fryer potato wedges shows you exactly how to make potato wedges from scratch that get cooked up in your air fryer perfectly every time.
🤔Why Make Potato Wedges In The Air Fryer?
- No harsh ingredients. When you make them from scratch, you get to control what goes in them which means no chemicals, excess sugar, or preservatives. Homemade is best!
- No additional oil is needed. The air fryer is a healthy way to cook potato wedges because they don’t get deep-fried in oil. A light coating of healthy oil is all you need to cook up these potatoes.
- They cook fast. Instead of using a traditional oven that takes upwards of 40 minutes to make, the air fryer cooks potato wedges in 20 minutes or less depending on their size.
- Perfect texture. Because the air fryer is a small convection oven, it circulates dry heat all around the surface area of the food making it crispy on the outside while staying tender and warm on the inside.
🥔What You’ll Need
Russet Potatoes – This type of potato is best for making potato wedges because they have a high starch content which helps them to get crispy on the outside while remaining fluffy on the inside.
Cooking Oil – I like to use olive oil or avocado oil because they are healthy oils that can withstand high temperatures without breaking down and becoming unhealthy.
Dry Seasonings – A simple mix of salt, pepper, and garlic powder seasons the potatoes perfectly. You can use any type of seasoning you enjoy.
Baking Powder – This secret ingredient helps the potatoes become extra crispy with a texture that is just like being deep-fried without the oil!
🔥How To Make Potato Wedges In The Air Fryer
1️⃣Prepare the potatoes: Thoroughly wash your potatoes with cold water to remove any dirt or impurities. Cut the potato in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half. Place your knife at an angle on each side to create wedge shapes.
2️⃣Preheat the air fryer: Turn the air fryer to 400F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
3️⃣Season the potatoes: Add the potato wedges to a large mixing bowl and drizzle with oil. Toss to coat, then add the dry seasonings along with the baking powder. Toss again to fully coat.
4️⃣Air fry potato wedges: Place the potato wedges in a single layer at the bottom of your air fryer basket and set the timer for 20 minutes.
5️⃣Flip or toss: Once the cooking time reaches 15 minutes, use tongs to toss or shake the basket depending on your air fryer. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the potato wedges are fully cooked on the inside and crispy on the outside.
6️⃣Remove and serve: Remove the potatoes with tongs and serve hot with your favorite dipping sauces!
👩🏻🍳Tips For Cooking Potato Wedges
- When slicing your potatoes, make sure they are all roughly the same size. This will ensure they all cook evenly and at the same time.
- The potato wedges need to be placed in a single layer at the bottom of the air fryer basket. Any overlapping will cause them to steam making them mushy.
- Baking powder in this recipe is optional but adds a nice crisp to the outside. If you don’t have any on hand, you can omit it.
- The cooking time will depend on the size of your potato wedges as well as how crispy you like them. For extra crispy wedges, cook for an additional minute or two.
There are endless ways to customize this air fryer potato wedges recipe to suit your taste. Try any of these variations:
- Season with Cajun spices, curry powder, or ranch seasoning mix.
- Add fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, or parsley.
- Toss with grated Parmesan cheese or crumbled feta cheese.
- For a spicy kick, add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red chili flakes.
Storing: Potato wedges made in the air fryer are best served immediately. If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
Reheating: To reheat air fryer potato wedges, place them back in the air fryer basket and air fry at 400F for a few minutes until heated through.
Freezing: These potato wedges can also be frozen for up to three months. Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet, then place the baking sheet in the freezer. Once frozen, transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag. When ready to eat, air fry the frozen potato wedges at 400F for 20-25 minutes. No need to thaw first!
Do you need to soak potatoes before air frying?
You can, but it’s not always necessary. Soaking the potato wedges in water for 30 minutes before air frying helps to remove some of the starch which results in crispier wedges.
How long do frozen wedges take in an air fryer?
Frozen potato wedges will take about 20-25 minutes to cook in the air fryer. No need to thaw them first!
How do you make the perfect air fryer wedges?
The perfect air fryer potato wedges are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Be sure to slice them evenly, toss them with oil and seasonings, then air fry in a single layer. No need to flip or toss during cooking, just shake the basket at the 15-minute mark.
🍟More Air Fryer Potato Recipes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- Air Fryer Crispy Potatoes
- Air Fryer Smashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Mashed Potatoes
Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Air Fryer or Ninja Foodi
- 1 pound Russet Potatoes
- 2 tsp Avocado Oil or other cooking oil
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Thoroughly wash your potatoes with cold water to remove any dirt or impurities. Cut the potato in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half. Place your knife at an angle on each side to create wedge shapes.
- Turn the air fryer to 400F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the potato wedges to a large mixing bowl and drizzle with oil. Toss to coat, then add the dry seasonings along with the baking powder. Toss again to fully coat.
- Place the potato wedges in a single layer at the bottom of your air fryer basket and set the timer for 20 minutes.
- Once the cooking time reaches 15 minutes, use tongs to toss or shake the basket depending on your air fryer. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the potato wedges are fully cooked on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- Remove the potatoes with tongs and serve hot with your favorite dipping sauces!