Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
Grab a bundle of baby potatoes to roast in your air fryer or Ninja Foodi! These Air Fryer Baby Potatoes are the perfect quick & healthy weeknight side dish. If you’re looking for the best way to make consistently crisp and creamy potatoes, this is it!
Can you roast baby potatoes in the air fryer? YES, and these step-by-step instructions will show you how to make a crispy, creamy, and perfectly seasoned batch of baby potatoes in the air fryer in under 20 minutes.
Did you know baby potatoes aren’t a variety of potatoes themselves? They are literally baby potatoes! Also called “new” or “creamer” potatoes, baby potatoes are harvested before maturity while the skin is thin and the flesh is sweet and extra creamy.
These delicious mini potatoes come in various colors and cook quicker and creamier than larger varieties. New potatoes include red, purple, fingerling, Yukon gold, dutch yellow, sweet potato, and russet -and they’re each delicious.
👉 Why Make Baby Potatoes In The Air Fryer?
- These tasty taters are a healthy side for busy weeknights, weekend breakfasts, and holiday menus.
- You’ll only need 5-ingredients and about 20 minutes of your time.
- Make roasted potatoes with crispy surfaces, beautifully browned edges, and fluffy middles.
- You can keep it simple or modify with different spices and seasonings.
- Dairy-free, vegan, and Whole30.
🥔 Key Ingredients & Tools
Baby potatoes are naturally sweet & creamy, so it won’t take much to make a mouthwatering batch of air-fried baby potatoes. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Baby potatoes – Baby potatoes are usually packaged in bundles after harvest for selling. Look for common brands like The Little Potato Company, Good & Gather, & Tasteful Selections. You can make this with mature potatoes if you can’t find baby potatoes, but it won’t be as creamy.
- Cooking oil – An oil with a high smoke point. Otherwise, it will burn off and potentially start to smoke. Use avocado oil (vegan), clarified butter, or ghee. (Whole30).
- Spices & seasonings – A simple mixture of sea salt, garlic powder, and black pepper lets the natural lusciousness of little potatoes shine, but the flavoring options are endless. See below for ideas.
As for equipment, you’ll need a large mixing bowl, tongs, and (obviously) an air fryer. I love my Ninja Foodi as it has multiple cooking functions, but there are dozens to choose from, and they each cook perfect petite potatoes!
♨️ How To Make Baby Potatoes In The Air Fryer
1️⃣ Preheat. Set the air fryer to 375°F and let preheat for 3-5 minutes while prepping the potatoes.
2️⃣ Prep. Wash, dry, and cut the potatoes in halves or quarters (depending on their size). Then, add the potatoes to a mixing bowl with oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Using tongs, toss to coat in oil and seasonings thoroughly.
3️⃣ Cook. Place the potatoes in a single layer at the bottom of the air fryer basket. Then, set the time for 15 minutes. At the 7-8 minute mark, toss with tongs or give the basket a good shake.
4️⃣ Crisp. After 15 minutes, check for doneness with a fork. You should be able to pierce the skin and press through the flesh effortlessly. If needed, cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
💭 Recipe Tips
- Yes, you should preheat your air fryer. Then, the skins begin cooking on contact creating the ultimate crispiness.
- Leave tiny potatoes whole, but cut the rest in half or quarters so they’re the same size, and roast evenly.
- Fresh is best, but if you have a bag of frozen baby potatoes, let thaw and dry thoroughly before coating them in oil and seasonings. Also, keep an eye on the air fryer, as these tend to cook quicker.
- Don’t cook too much at once. It’s okay if the potatoes overlap a bit, but there should be enough wiggle room for the hot air to circulate evenly. Work in batches if you need to.
- Drizzle rich, melted butter over the potatoes to finish.
🍽️ Variations & Serving
Dairy-Free & Vegan – Toss with a quality plant-based oil with a high smoke point (avocado oil) or melted vegan butter.
Herbs & Spices
- Fresh garlic & herbs – Toss with oil, minced garlic, and herbs like rosemary, thyme, and oregano. Toss with fresh parsley, tarragon, chives, or dill after air frying.
- Dry Seasoning – Upgrade your air fryer baby potatoes with about a 1/2 tablespoon of savory or spicy blends. Try ranch seasoning, Cajun or creole blends, everything bagel, seasoning salt, Montreal steak seasoning, etc.
- Garlic parmesan – Coat potatoes in melted butter, grated parmesan, and granulated garlic before air frying.
Smashed – While hot, squash the potatoes with the bottom of a jar or mug, then return to the air fryer and cook until crisp.
Hasselback – This requires extra work, but you can also make mini air-fried hasselback potatoes. Make several slices down the top of each potato width-wise before air frying.
Vegetables – Make it a medley and add other starchy root veggies, chopped the same as the potatoes. Try adding carrots, parsnip, radish, turnips, whole shallots, or pearl onions.
Serving – Stuck on what to serve with air fryer baby potatoes? They’re delicious alongside any main course.
- Make lemon garlic chicken in the Instant Pot or creamy lemon chicken on the stove while the potatoes roast in the air fryer.
- Try with meaty main courses like BBQ BACON-wrapped meatloaf, dairy-free Swedish meatballs, & slow cooker Mississippi pork roast.
- Serve with breakfast classics -eggs, bacon, sausage, and so on.
♻️ Storing & Reheating
Storing: Let cool completely, then keep in a shallow, air-tight container or resealable bag for 3-4 days.
Reheating: Air frying is the best way to restore leftover baby potatoes. Preheat your air fryer to 375F, then cook for 3-5 minutes (tossing halfway through).
Yes, and you SHOULD for the BEST baby potatoes. They come out perfect, and clean up is a breeze.
The precise time will mainly depend on your fryer’s functionality. Cooking in a 375 preheated air fryer for 15 minutes is a good place to start. Adjust the timing as needed.
Parboiling softens the potatoes perfectly, so the air fryer can then crisp the skins while the interior stays creamy. Baby potatoes, however, are harvested before maturity while they’re at their peak creaminess. No parboiling needed!
It’s not necessary. Soaking helps extract some of the starch to make dry, crispy potatoes. This is better suited for french fries.
More Air Fryer Potato Recipes
Crispy Air Fryer Potatoes
Air Fryer Frozen Sweet Potato Cubes
How to Reheat a Baked Potato in the Air Fryer
Smashed Potatoes with Garlic Aioli
Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potato
Air Fryer Baby Potatoes
- air fryer or Ninja Foodi
- large mixing bowl
- 1½ pounds baby potatoes
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil with a high smoke point like avocado oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Set the air fryer to 375°F and let preheat for 3-5 minutes while prepping the potatoes.
- Wash, dry, and cut the potatoes in halves or quarters (depending on their size). Then, add the potatoes to a mixing bowl with oil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Using tongs, toss to coat in oil and seasonings thoroughly.
- Place the potatoes in a single layer at the bottom of the air fryer basket. Then, set the time for 15 minutes. At the 7-8 minute mark, toss with tongs or give the basket a good shake.
- After 15 minutes, check for doneness with a fork. Then, cook for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the potatoes are soft with extra crispy skins.