Everything Bagel Green Beans Almondine! An enhanced version of classic green beans almondine. Flavorful and fresh green beans, toasted almonds and everything bagel seasoning tossed together to make a much healthier alternative to green bean casserole.
Green beans almondine is a timeless side dish that goes good with just about anything! At the core of every green beans almondine recipe is crisp-tender green beans tossed with almonds. It’s that simple.
Everything bagel green beans almondine is just as simple and delicious -and you’ll only need 6 ingredients, including everything bagel seasoning.
👉 What is everything bagel seasoning?
Everything bagel seasoning is the same blend of spices that coat “everything” bagels -usually poppy seeds, sesame seeds and lots of dried onion and garlic. It’s readily available at Trader Joe’s, Aldi, Lidl, Wal-mart and other major food stores.
🌰 Ingredients You’ll Need
To make this recipe, you will only need a handful of low-carb ingredients. That said, this green beans almondine recipe is also a perfect keto side dish.
- Fresh Green Beans: are a great source of vitamin K and calcium. I recommend using fresh green beans (see variations for how to use frozen green beans).
- Ghee (divided): is clarified butter with the milk solids removed. It adds rich, buttery flavor and is Whole30 compliant.
- Shallot (minced): adds sweet and sharp onion flavor. You can also use red onion or sweet onion.
- Slivered Almonds: This wouldn’t be green beans almondine without them. They add a toasted, nutty touch that pairs perfectly with sweet green beans.
- Fresh Lemon Juice: adds a touch of bright, citrus-y flavor. If serving to guests, you can also serve sliced lemon the side for them to squeeze over their own servings.
- Everything Bagel Seasoning: is everything you know and love about an everything bagel except for quite literally -the bagel. This super tasty spice blend adds a ton of flavor to otherwise bland vegetables.
📖 How To Make Green Beans Almondine With Everything Bagel Seasoning
1️⃣ Blanch green beans:
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and then add the green beans—Cook for 2 to 3 minutes (or until they turn bright green). Immediately remove the green beans from the water and transfer them to a bowl of ice water. Drain and set aside.
2️⃣ Toast almonds:
In a large skillet, over medium heat, melt half of the ghee. Once the ghee has melted, add the slivered almonds and toast until they begin to brown (2 to 3 minutes). To keep the almonds from burning, stir them as they toast.
4️⃣ Combine almonds and seasonings:
Once toasted, transfer the almonds to a small bowl and add everything bagel seasoning. Toss the almonds and seasonings together until thoroughly combined. Set the bowl aside.
5️⃣ Cook shallots:
In the same skillet, add the rest of the ghee and melt over medium heat. Then, add the minced shallots and cook until soft and fragrant (3 to 5 minutes).
6️⃣ Cook green beans:
Next, add the lemon juice and the blanched green beans to the skillet and saute everything together for 3 to 5 minutes or until the green beans are warm.
7️⃣ Plate and serve:
Plate the green beans on a serving dish with tongs and top with the almond-everything bagel mixture. Serve warm with lemon on the side (optional). Enjoy!
👩🏻🍳 Chef’s Tips
- Use fresh green beans. For green beans almondine, I recommend using fresh green beans. Blanching them first gets them pleasantly crisp and tender. Canned green beans should be left for green bean casserole.
- Trim your beans. Be sure to snap off any stringy, stemmy ends from the green beans before blanching.
- Do not burn the almonds. The almonds can quickly turn from toasted to burned. Be sure to keep an eye on ethem.
- Making it in a slow cooker. To prepare this recipe in a Crockpot, combine the green beans, sauteed shallots and ghee in a slow cooker with water or broth and cook on low for 2 to 3 hours or until the green beans reach your desired tenderness.
- Using frozen green beans. You can also use frozen green beans. Submerge the frozen beans in a pot of boiling water until just thawed and bright green (2 to 3 minutes) and then transfer to an ice bath before using in green beans almondine.
- Add more veggies. Everything bagel seasoning goes with just about everything, so feel free to add more veggies to your dish. Mushrooms, carrots and baby potatoes are great options.
- Dairy-free/vegan adaptation. Swap out the ghee for your favorite plant-based buttery spread. Easy peasy!
🍽️ How to Serve
This quick and easy side dish goes great with a variety of proteins and main courses. Everything bagel green beans almondine pairs well with:
- Air Fryer Turkery Breast
- Sous Vide Chuck Roast
- Oven Baked Pecan Crusted Chicken
- Air Fryer Pork Tenderloin
♻️ Storing & Freezing
Storing: To store leftovers, let the beans cool to room temperature and then keep them in an airtight container in the oven for 3 to 5 days.
Freezing: Do not freeze. Cooked green beans release a lot of moisture and will turn to mush if frozen.
To save some time, you can toast the almonds and blanch the green beans a day in advance. When you’re ready to finish the dish, you’ll need to cook the shallots, warm the beans through and top with almonds and seasonings.
No. Canned green beans are too soft and will become soggy in this dish.
No. “Amandine” specifically refers to cooking with almonds, while “almondine” describes garnishing the food with almonds at the end.
More Healthy Holiday Sides
Everything Bagel Green Beans Almondine
- 1 pound fresh green beans trimmed
- 3 tablespoons ghee divided
- 1 shallot minced
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons everything bagel seasoning
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add the green beans. Let cook for 2-3 minutes or until they turn bright green. Immediately remove and place into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain and set aside.
- Melt half of the ghee over medium heat, then add the slivered almonds and toast in the pan for 2-3 minutes or until they begin to brown. Remove them from the heat and add them to a small bowl along with everything bagel seasoning. Toss the almonds and seasoning together until fully combined. Set aside.
- In the same skillet melt the remaining ghee over medium heat, then add the chopped shallots. Saute until soft for about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice to the pan along with the blanched green beans. Then, saute the green beans, mixing everything together for 3-4 minutes or until they are warmed through.
- Place the green beans on a serving dish with tongs, then top with the almonds and everything bagel seasoning mixture. Serve while warm.