Air Fryer Carrot Chips
Craving potato chips? Cure the craving with Air Fryer Carrot Chips. Your air fryer will turn thin carrot slices into a crispy, salty, and healthy snack in minutes. These carrot chips are also great as a side dish and served with dips as an appetizer.
I’m constantly amazed by the capabilities of an air fryer, but using it to dehydrate veggies into crispy chips may be my new favorite of its many functions. So I used my Ninja Foodi to make these homemade carrot chips, which turned out PERFECT.
Air frying carrot chips boosts the sweet and tangy taste while making the chips crispy with those tasty browned edges. I kept the seasonings simple for these air-fried carrot chips, but you can flavor yours however you like, from sugary sweet to hot and spicy!
Ready to make crunchy carrot chips in the air fryer? Grab your carrots and a mandolin to make perfect thin slices, and let’s get started.
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- A tasty alternative to raw carrot chips and dip.
- Carrots are a fantastic source of calcium and Vitamin K.
- The carrot chip flavor opportunities are endless.
- As for Whole30, store-bought carrot chips are out, but homemade carrot chips are totally in.
🥕 Ingredients & Tools
- Carrots – To slice the carrots the right size, it’s easiest to use a mandolin. You can also cut the carrots with a shape knife, but please be careful.
Pre-sliced carrot chips are typically thicker than what we’re aiming for. You can use them, but you may need to cook them a few minutes longer.
- Avocado oil – Or any quality neutral-tasting cooking oil with a high smoke point (olive oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, etc.).
- Salt & pepper – To make the carrot chips taste brighter and sweeter. Feel free to get creative with your carrot chip flavor. See below for some ideas.
- Recommended equipment – Use a mandolin to slice the carrot into consistent thin slices.
🥣 How To Make Carrot Chips In The Air Fryer
1️⃣ Cut carrot into thin chips. First, wash your carrots thoroughly and remove the peel with a vegetable peeler. Using a mandolin or sharp knife, slice your carrots into 1/8”-inch thick slices.
2️⃣ Dry raw carrot chips and season. Lay the carrot slices on paper towels and pat them completely dry to remove any excess moisture. Then, add the carrots to a mixing bowl and toss with oil, salt, and pepper until fully coated.
3️⃣ Cook carrot chips in the air fryer. Preheat your air fryer to 375°F for 3-5 minutes. Place the seasoned sliced carrots in a single layer at the bottom of the preheated air fryer basket. Set the timer for 15 minutes.
4️⃣ Flip and continue cooking until crisp. At the 8-minute mark, use tongs to flip the carrot chips over and cook evenly. Continue to check and flip every few minutes until your desired level of crispiness is achieved.
💭 Recipe Tips
- Your carrots must be VERY dry to achieve the best crisp, so take your time blotting away the moisture with paper towels.
- If you aren’t in a hurry, sprinkle salt over the raw carrot chips and let sit on top of paper towels for about 20 minutes. The salt will pull more of the moisture out.
- Don’t cook too many carrot chips at once. The chips should be arranged in a single layer. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches.
- Check on the chips and give them a toss every few minutes. The air frying time will vary based on your air fryer’s functionality and the thickness of the chips.
Now that we’ve covered the instructions, it’s your turn to decide on flavors and dipping sauces. Check out these tasty modifications.
Savory Carrot Chips – Season your air-fried carrot chips with any of these flavorful blends of spices.
- Cajun seasoning
- Chili lime seasoning
- Dry BBQ rub
- Dry buffalo seasoning
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Garlic salt
- Lemon pepper
- Old Bay
- Ranch seasoning
- Seasoned salt
Sweet Carrot Chips – If you’d rather snack on something sweet, coat your carrot chips in coconut oil before tossing them with the sweeter spices.
- Coconut sugar, date sugar, maple sugar, or brown sugar
- Cinnamon & nutmeg
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Cinnamon toast crunch seasoning
Dipping sauces – Crunchy carrot chips are the perfect vessel for these delicious dips and sauces.
- Dill Pickle Dip
- Crockpot Pizza Dip
- Whole30 Honey Mustard
- Vegan Buffalo Dip
- Keto Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Habanero Ranch Sauce
- Thousand Island Dressing
🧊 Storing & Freezing
Storing: Store air-fried carrot chips in an airtight resealable bag at room temperature for up to a week.
Freezing: I don’t recommend freezing homemade veggie chips as they will become soggy once thawed.
The key to crispy carrot chips is ensuring the slices are dried well. Excess moisture will keep the carrots from crisping up in the air fryer. Also, be sure not to cook more than one layer of chips at a time.
You can, but you probably won’t be able to find 1/8″ thick pre-sliced carrots. If the slices are too thick, they won’t get as crispy.
If your air fryer has a dehydrate function, yes. The dehydrating time will vary based on the thickness of your carrot chips.
🥦Air Fryer Vegetable Recipes
- Frozen Cauliflower
- Yuca Fries
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts
- Smashed Potatoes
- Corn On The Cob
- Whole Sweet Potato
- Acorn Squash
- Hash Browns
- Butternut Squash
Air Fryer Carrot Chips
- vegetable peeler
- mandolin or very sharp knife
- mixing bowl
- air fryer or Ninja Foodi
- 8 ounces carrots thinly sliced into ⅛" thick rounds
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Wash your carrots thoroughly and remove the peel with a vegetable peeler. Using a mandolin or very sharp knife, slice your carrots into 1/8th inch thick slices.
- Lay the carrot slices out on paper towels and pat them completely dry to remove any excess moisture.
- Then, add the carrots to a mixing bowl and toss with oil, salt, and pepper until fully coated.
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F for 3-5 minutes.
- Place the seasoned sliced carrots at the bottom of the preheated air fryer basket in a single layer. Set the timer for 15 minutes.
- At the 8-minute mark, use tongs to flip the carrot chips over and cook evenly. Continue to check and flip every few minutes until the desired level of crispiness is achieved.