Paleo Hamburger Skillet featuring homemade Thousand Island Dressing - everything you love about a fast food burger made keto, paleo and Whole30 compliant. This healthy recipe is the perfect weeknight meal the whole family will love.
The "bunless" burger is a staple for low carb, keto, paleo and Whole30 dieters. It's so popular many restaurants now offer a lettuce-wrap so diners can stick to their healthy habits. Quite frankly, this paleo hamburger skillet is SO much more tasty and satisfying than any lettuce-wrapped burger a restaurant has to offer.
This paleo hamburger skillet takes your ground beef recipe game to the next level. Tasty hamburger and all of the classic toppings drizzled with my Whole30 thousand island dressing -all served on a bed of cauliflower rice or shredded lettuce.
Basically, this paleo hamburger skillet tastes just like a "healthy Big Mac," so this easy weeknight recipe is one the whole family will love.
💗 Why You'll Love this Recipe
Enjoy all of the flavors of a Big Mac but made healthy with gluten-free and paleo ingredients.
Healthy weeknight meal. This skillet comes together quick with simple ingredients.
Serves 6 to 8. This skillet is great to feed a group and great if you want leftovers! 🙂
Easy to customize based on how you like your burger.
📝 Ingredients You'll Need
- Avocado or Olive Oil - coats skillet to prevent sticking.
- Ground Beef - I recommend using a lean ground beef for this skillet. One with a higher fat percentage can make your skillet greasy.
- Tomato Paste - adds flavor and makes the hamburger mixture cohesive.
- Mustard Powder - adds flavor.
- Coconut Aminos - a tasty Whole30 compliant alternative to Worcestershire.
- Garlic Powder - adds flavor.
- Salt & Pepper (to taste) - enhances the whole dish.
- Toppings - Red Onion (small dice), Dill Pickle Chips & Tomato (sliced thin).
- Thousand Island Dressing - for that classic fast food burger tangy flavor.
- Cauliflower Rice or Lettuce - for serving.
📖 How to Make Paleo Hamburger Skillet
1️⃣ In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, warm oil until hot but not smoking. Add diced onion. Saute until softened (3 to 5 minutes).
2️⃣ Add ground beef to the skillet. Saute with onion until ground beef begins to brown (about 5 minutes).
4️⃣ To serve, spread hamburger mixture over a bed of warm cauliflower rice or shredded lettuce. Top with tomato, onion and pickles. Drizzle with thousand island dressing. Enjoy.
How do I make paleo and keto thousand island dressing?
👩🏻🍳 Recipe Tips & Variations
You can replace ground beef with an alternative ground protein like ground turkey, ground chicken or a ground plant-based "beef.
Take inspiration from other famous burgers and customize to your liking. You could mix and match chopped bacon, sauteed mushrooms and onions, avocado slices, jalapenos, fried egg, etc.
Sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese over cooked ground beef mixture while it's still nice and hot so the cheese melts into the meat (NOT WHOLE30).
♻️ Storing & Reheating
Storing - Store cooled leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Store toppings separately from hamburger mixture so they stay fresh.
Reheating - Warm leftover hamburger mixture in a skillet over medium heat until reheated. Serve with fresh toppings.
Worcestershire is an excellent option to get that salty and savory burger flavor but it isn't usually gluten-free nor paleo. Instead try:
Braggs Liquid Aminos (contains soy)
The New Primal Classic or Spicy Marinade
This classic American condiment and salad dressing is made with mayo and many recipes include paprika, worcestershire sauce, mustard, vinegar and ketchup.
As always, check your labels. As long as there aren't any off-plan ingredients, pickles are Whole30.
More Paleo Ground Beef Recipes
Paleo Hamburger Skillet with Thousand Island Dressing
- 1.5 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 Red Onion small diced
- ½ cup Dill Pickle Chips
- 1 Tomato sliced thin
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Mustard Powder
- 3 tbsp Coconut Aminos
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Avocado or Olive Oil
- ½ cup Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 Head Romaine Lettuce chopped
- salt/pepper to taste
- In large skillet heat teaspoon of oil over medium high heat and add diced onion. Saute for 3-5 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add ground beef to the pan
- Saute for 5 minutes, then add tomato paste, mustard powder, coconut aminos, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook until beef is cooked through.
- Scoop hamburger mixture on top of cauliflower rice or a bed of lettuce and add chopped onion, tomato, and pickles.
- Drizzle Thousand Island dressing on top and serve over roasted potatoes or cauliflower rice.