Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs
Traditionally braised low and slow, these Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs are made quick in a pressure cooker without sacrificing any flavor. By using bone in beef short ribs, carrots, potatoes, onions, broth and other seasonings, you can make this easy Paleo and Whole30 dinner that is healthy and makes great leftovers.
Sometimes cuts of meat we’re not always used to can be intimidating to cook. Luckily we have some great kitchen appliances these days that could help give you more confidence in your cooking like the instant pot.
Traditionally, beef short ribs are braised, meaning they are cooked low and slow in liquid making a really tender and juicy meat. You can also achieve this by using your pressure cooker!
🥘Ingredients For Instant Pot Short Ribs
- Bone In Beef Short Ribs: Browse the beef section in your grocery store for some short ribs! You can find them in long thin strips or big square blocks. For this recipe, make sure you purchase the big square block ribs.
- Potatoes: I like using baby potatoes for this recipe but you could use whatever potatoes are your favorite.
- Carrots: They add flavor and a bit of sweetness to the cooking liquid for a slow cooked all day taste.
- Onion and Garlic: Typical aromatics that go into a beef dish.
- Beef Broth: This is the bulk of the cooking liquid.
- Coconut Aminos: This healthy alternative to soy sauce and Worcestershire adds a depth of flavor to the beef and cooking liquid. You could also use Worcestershire if you are not concerned with this recipe being paleo or Whole30.
- Tomato Paste: The acidity of the tomatoes seeps into the broth and beef giving it a better flavor as well as helps tenderize the meat.
- Bay Leaf, Thyme, & Rosemary: These herbs seep into the slow cooked flavors and are a must in this dish!
🥩Do I Need To Brown The Meat Before Cooking?
Although you can technically make this recipe without browning the meat beforehand, it is highly recommended that you take the extra step and do so.
Caramelizing the outsides of the beef releases so much flavor by way of the Maillard reaction which breaks down the sugars and amino acids for a chemical reaction that makes them taste better.The texture and color of the short ribs will also stay intact if you brown them beforehand.
You could brown the short ribs right in the instant pot using the saute function or you could use a cast iron skillet. I find that a cast iron skillet does a bit better of a job at browning the meat.
🍷Can I Add Red Wine?
If you’d like to add red wine to this recipe, replace one cup of the beef broth with one cup of red wine and follow the recipe as written. Keep in mind that by using wine, the recipe is no longer paleo or Whole30.
🍶Short Rib Beef Gravy
1️⃣ To make a gravy out of the cooking liquid. Strain it and add it to a medium sized sauce pot.
2️⃣ Make an arrowroot starch slurry by whisking 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch and 3 tablespoons water in a small bowl until it is smooth and there are no clumps.
3️⃣ Slowly add the slurry to the cooking liquid while gently stirring.
4️⃣ Turn the heat up to medium and let it reduce down as it thickens while stirring occasionally.
📖How To Make Instant Pot Short Ribs
Prepare The Short Ribs: Turn your instant pot to SAUTE mode and add 2 tbsp avocado oil or preferred cooking oil. While oil heats up, season your short ribs with salt and pepper on each side. Once oil begins to smoke add short ribs and cook on each side for 1-2 minutes. This can also be done in a cast iron skillet. Once browned, remove short ribs from the instant pot temporarily.
Bring Together The Cooking Liquid: To the instant pot, add beef broth, coconut aminos, bay leaf and tomato paste. Whisk until fully combined.
Add In Vegetables and Herbs: Add in chopped potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic to the cooking liquid.
Add The Short Ribs Back In With Herbs: On top of the cooking liquid and vegetables, add the browned short ribs then place the fresh thyme and rosemary on top.
Pressure Cook: Cook at manual HIGH pressure for 45 minutes. Release naturally or do a quick release. Serve short ribs on top of vegetables.
🍲More Healthy Instant Pot Recipes
- Vegan Carrot Ginger Soup
- Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Instant Pot Pasta with Meat Sauce
- Instant Pot Breakfast Potatoes
- Instant Pot Crab Legs
- Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
Instant Pot Beef Short Ribs
- 4 pounds Bone In Beef Short Ribs
- 1 pound Potatoes large rough chopped
- 1 pound Carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 large White Onion cut into 8ths
- 2 tsp Fresh Garlic minced
- 4 cups Beef Broth
- ¼ cup Coconut Aminos or Worcestershire
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Sprig Fresh Thyme
- 1 Sprig Fresh Rosemary
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- Prepare The Short Ribs: Turn your instant pot to SAUTE mode and add 2 tbsp avocado oil or preferred cooking oil. While oil heats up, season your short ribs with salt and pepper on each side. Once oil begins to smoke add short ribs and cook on each side for 1-2 minutes. This can also be done in a cast iron skillet. Once browned, remove short ribs from the instant pot temporarily.
- Bring Together The Cooking Liquid: To the instant pot, add beef broth, coconut aminos, bay leaf and tomato paste. Whisk until fully combined.
- Add In Vegetables and Herbs: Add in chopped potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic to the cooking liquid.
- Add The Short Ribs Back In With Herbs: On top of the cooking liquid and vegetables, add the browned short ribs then place the fresh thyme and rosemary on top.
- Pressure Cook: Cook at manual HIGH pressure for 45 minutes. Release naturally or do a quick
Officially the only way to make beef short ribs! Wow, they came out so tender and fall apart delicious. I’m excited to add this one to the regular menu!
This was a delicious comfort meal. The meat was so juicy and tender. It was a hit with the family. Thank you!
I’m never sure why people are intimidated by food, especially delicious short ribs! Your post has very simple directions and the ribs look absolutely mouthwatering.
We love short ribs but hate the cooking time. This recipe reduces cooking time without compromising flavor. I love that I can get this in the table in less than an hour. Thanks!
True comfort food! I’ve craving a bowl of this right now with a side of mashed potatoes. I can almost smell if through my screen simmering away 😀
Love short ribs and great Flavors You have added in the recipe. Thanks for sharing. I will try this way soon.
I really have to thank you for this recipe. I had some short ribs I bought and really didn’t know what to do with them. I made this recipe and the ribs were so tender and the gravy they made was amazing. This recipe is a keeper, for sure. You really went into depth about the seasoning and the reason to use what is in the recipe. Followed it exactly.
These were great! They turned out delicious, and the Instant Pot definitely made the process easy. Can’t wait to make them again.
Those chunky beef short ribs along with veggies looks so hearty and delicious! With some crusty bread i’m sorted for dinner.
These beef short ribs were so tender and delicious! We had this lovely dinner last night with some roasted sour dough bread and salad, a perfect comfort meal for cold days. Thank you for sharing this lovely recipe with easy to follow steps. 🙂