This beet poke salad bowl is an easy way to make vegetarian or vegan poke with simple flavors from sesame and coconut aminos and can be served over salad, rice or a bowl of noodles.
Living in Hawaii for 5 years surprisingly made me a HUGE poke fan. Never in my life did I think that I would enjoy eating raw chunks of fish but it grew on me and I was addicted.
During that time, poke had been blowing up on the mainland which lead to many different forms of it including vegan poke made from tofu or beets.
What is Poke?
Poke is diced raw fish served either as an appetizer or as a main course and is one of the main dishes of Native Hawaiian cuisine. Traditional forms are aku and heʻe. Heʻe poke is usually called by its Japanese name Tako Poke, except in places like the island of Niʻihau where the Hawaiian language is spoken. Wikipedia
What is beet poke?
Instead of using raw fish for poke, cooked beets are used and marinated in a mixture of sesame oil, soy sauce OR cocount aminos, ginger, rice vinegar and topped with shredded nori sheets.
Beet poke can be served on top of salad, rice or noodles.
How to cook beets for beet poke:
- Boil 3 quarts water in a medium sized pot.
- While water is heating up, peel beets and chop into even ½ inch cubes.
- Add chopped beets and boil for 10 minutes. Beets should be cooked but still have a crunch and not be mushy or over cooked.
- Run beets under cold water and store in fridge until fully cooled and drained. If they are not drained, the marinade will become diluted.
Can I use golden beets? Yes! Golden beets are great to use in beet poke as they have a slightly different flavor that could be more mild or sweet depending on how ripe it is. Keep in mind that if you use golden beets AND red beets, the color of the red beets will bleed onto the golden beets and will change the color.
Can I buy cooked beets? While you can technically buy pre-cooked beets for this recipe, I don’t recommend it as they tend to be too over cooked for this recipe.
When should I add avocado to beet poke? Avocado should be added after beets poke salad is marinated and on top of whatever base you choose as mixing them in will cause the avocado to discolor.
Soy Sauce or Coconut Aminos? traditionally poke is made with soy sauce, but as a great paleo soy-free alternative, you can use coconut aminos as a substitute. I like using these Coconut Aminos.
Beet Poke Salad Bowl
- 1 pound Raw Beets
- 4-6 cups Mixed Greens
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 sheet Sushi Nori, cut into strips
- Boil 3 quarts water in a medium sized pot. While water is heating up, peel beets and chop into even ½ inch cubes. Add chopped beets and boil for 10 minutes. Beets should be cooked but still have a crunch and not be mushy or over cooked. Run beets under cold water, add to bowl and let drain in fridge until fully cooled.
- In a medium bowl, add: coconut aminos, sesame oil, grated ginger and rice vinegar and whisk together until fully combined.
- Once beets are fully cooled, drain thoroughly and toss with poke marinade. Add beet poke on a bed of greens and top with avocado slices, sesames seeds and toasted nori strips.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 159