Chicken Salad with Apples and Walnuts combines cooked shredded chicken with creamy homemade mayo, crunchy walnuts, and sweet apples -great served as a sandwich, salad, wrap and so much more. Perfect for those following a Whole30 or Paleo lifestyle!
My love for chicken salad grows every year. Chicken salad is the perfect recipe for healthy eating and meal prep because one batch will last a few different meals and it can be eaten on a sandwich, lettuce wrap or green salad.
And because fall is apple season, this chicken salad is made with diced apples. I used honey crisp apples for this recipe because they are my absolute favorite, but feel free to use any type of apple you enjoy!
Why You Should Make Apple Walnut Chicken Salad
Chicken salad is a great way to use up a leftover rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken from meal prep.
It has the perfect amount of chicken, mayo, nuts, apples, and diced veggies. Each bite is packed with crunchy, creamy goodness.
You can swap out and add ingredients to your liking. The options are endless.
Apple walnut chicken salad uses all whole, non-processed ingredients -making it suitable for paleo and Whole30 dietary protocols.
It's the perfect recipe to transition from summer to fall using freshly crisp apples in a cold salad.
It's high in protein and healthy fats like avocado oil.
🥣Ingredients You'll Need
- Cooked Shredded Chicken - is a huge time saver. Any cooked white meat (or a mixture of white and dark) will taste great -just be sure to shred well.
- Homemade [Mayonnaise]- tastes so much better and is so much better for you. The richness of homemade mayo adds something special to this chicken salad.
- Walnuts - This tree nut has a rich, sweet taste and gives the perfect crunch.
- Celery - Adds that classic refreshing chicken salad flavor and keeps the salad moist and crunchy.
- Red Onion - A bit sweeter than yellow, red onion does not overpower the chicken salad.
- Apples - Use your favorite apple. They should be firm to the touch and have a crisp-bite.
- Fresh Parsley - Brightens the flavors of the chicken salad and gives it a pop of green color.
- Garlic Powder - Enhances the sweet and savory flavors.
- Salt/Pepper - Cmphasizes the fruity and nutty flavors.
Using Homemade Mayonaisse For Chicken Salad
To make this chicken salad taste as best as it can, I recommend using a homemade mayonnaise. It's made with clean ingredients, tastes better than any store-bought mayo and is made in just one minute.
[mv_video key="e2eubf6swvoob3ivvlpt" volume="70" aspectRatio="true" title="One Minute Mayo" thumbnail="https://mediavine-res.cloudinary.com/video/upload/e2eubf6swvoob3ivvlpt.jpg" doNotOptimizePlacement="false" doNotAutoplayNorOptimizePlacement="false"]
🍗 How To Make Chicken Apple Walnut Salad 🍎
1️⃣ Using 2 forks or a stand mixer, shred cooked chicken breast and add to a large bowl.
2️⃣ Add in chopped celery, onion, apples and walnuts.
3️⃣ Stir in mayonnaise, salt, pepper, garlic powder and parsley and mix until chicken salad is fully combined and coated with mayo.
4️⃣ Serve cold and enjoy!
👩🏻🍳Chef's Tips & Ideas
Use mashed avocado in place of mayo or a half and half mix of both
Change up the nuts you use: cashews, pecans, black walnuts
Use green onions or shallots instead of red onions for a mild onion flavor.
Another great tip besides making your own shredded chicken in the instant pot is to use the meat from a rotisserie chicken.
Be sure to dice the celery and onion. No one wants to bite into a big chunk of onion.
Make sure the chicken is cool and shredded thoroughly before stirring in the remaining ingredients.
The salad gets tastier when the flavors have had some time to mingle. It's even better when chilled in the fridge for a few hours before serving.
More Healthy Chicken Recipes
- Oven Baked Pecan Crusted Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Fajitas
- Healthy Sweet & Sour Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Thighs with Veggies
- Rotisserie Chicken Bone Broth
Chicken Salad With Apples
- 4 cups Shredded Chicken cooked
- 1.5 cup [Mayonnaise]
- 1 cup Walnuts chopped
- 3 stalks Celery small dice
- ¼ Red Onion small dice
- 1.5 cup Apples diced
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley chopped
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt/pepper to taste
- Using 2 forks or a stand mixer, shred chicken breast and add to a large bowl.
- Add in chopped celery, onion, apples and walnuts.
- Stir in mayonnaise, salt, pepper, garlic powder and parsley and mix until chicken salad is fully combined and coated with mayo.
- Serve cold.
It's likely that the veggies and apples released water over time. It's okay. Just give everything a good stir, and it will be good as new.
You can, however the taste may differ as fresh chicken tastes much better. If you're using canned chicken, make sure it is drained and rinsed well.
The acid in the mayo will naturally prevent this from happening. If you need the chicken salad to last a few extra days, toss the diced apples in lemon juice just in case.