This easy mushroom gravy recipe is brothy, thick and made from scratch with clean ingredients. Perfect to top salisbury steak, mashed potatoes and meatloaf.
Gravy makes everything better. I feel like mushrooms do too even though there are people that would disagree. Putting mushrooms in with gravy is the perfect way to get a deep, earthy and hearty flavor that compliments so many classics.
Use Mushroom Gravy for:
- Mashed Potatoes
- Salisbury Steak
- Thanksgiving Dinner
- Pork Chops
- Creamy Mashed Cauliflower
- Pot Roast
Can I make Vegan Mushroom Gravy?
You can make this recipe vegan by using vegetable stock instead of beef stock or broth and also buy using avocado oil or olive oil to saute your vegetables instead of ghee or butter.
How Can I thicken Mushroom Gravy?
There are a few ways to thicken mushroom gravy. You can use a roux with butter and flour or you can use a gluten free and whole3o such as arrowroot starch or tapioca flour.
What is Arrowroot Starch?
Arrowroot is an easily digested starch extracted from the roots of the arrowroot plant, Maranta arundinacea. It is gluten free and can be used as a direct substitute for cornstarch for folks with corn allergies. It has no flavor of its own, so can be used to thicken any sauce, soup, stew, or pudding. – Source: Bob’s Red Mill
Arrowroot starch is completely natural and makes a great thickener that is paleo and whole30 compliant.
Easy Mushroom Gravy
- 8 oz White Mushrooms sliced
- ¼ cup Red Onion small dice
- 2 tsp Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Fresh Rosemary minced fine
- 1 tbsp Ghee or Butter*
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire or [The New Primal Classic Marinade]*
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 2 tbsp Arrowroot Starch
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- In a large pan, heat up butter or ghee over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, onion and rosemary and saute until everything starts to brown.
- Add beef broth, Worcestershire or marinade and turn heat down to a simmer.
- In a small bowl, whisk 2 tbsp arrowroot starch with enough water to combine it all together without clumps.
- Whisk this mixture into gravy until fully incorporated and simmer gravy until desired consistency is reached (about 10 minutes)
- Store in an air tight container for 7-10 days.
Valerie Skinner is a Whole30 approved personal chef & recipe developer that bridges the gap between healthy eating and busy lives by providing simple healthy meals and recipes for you and your family.