5 Ingredient Breakfast Sausage
Looking for Whole30 compliant sausage? This quick and easy 5-ingredient Healthy Breakfast Sausage is made with juicy ground pork and the perfect blend of savory sausage spices. Freezing instructions included.
Finding a healthy breakfast sausage can be challenging. Finding a healthy AND Whole30 breakfast sausage is even harder, especially if you do not want to spend a small fortune. However, this breakfast sausage is just that -healthy and Whole30!
I’m picky about my breakfast sausage. It can’t be too sweet, and it can’t be too savory. This homemade sausage falls flawlessly in between. The secret is in the spice: poultry seasoning plus fennel packs in so much crave-worthy flavor.
Feel free to swap ground pork for different ground meat. You can also make your own homemade breakfast sausage seasoning. Meal prep a double batch and freeze half for later. This healthy breakfast sausage is seriously the best!
👉 Why this is the Best Homemade Healthy Breakfast sausage
Whether you’re looking for a quick sausage recipe or a recipe specific to your dietary lifestyle, this sausage is it.
- Sugar-free: You’ve probably noticed most breakfast sausage contains sugar. This sausage is made entirely without sugar and is just as delicious.
- Paleo: This sausage checks off all of the paleo boxes. Free of dairy sugar, gluten, and grains.
- Whole30: Making Whole30 sausage from scratch is much cheaper than buying a compliant brand from the store.
- Keto & Low Carb: These patties are essentially zero carb!
- Gluten-free: There are no sneaky gluten-containing fillers here. Just meat and spices!
🧾 Ingredients You’ll Need
- Groud Pork: This wouldn’t be sausage without it! You can swap it with a different ground meat or a mixture.
- Poultry Seasoning: Typically, poultry seasoning is a blend of rosemary, thyme, marjoram, and sage which conveniently is also most of the spices typically in breakfast sausage.
- Fennel Seed: Fennel seed is also a classic breakfast sausage spice.
- Cayenne Pepper: If you’d like a kick, add cayenne. Otherwise, leave it out.
- Cooking Oil: If you’re cooking the sausage in a pan, be sure to use a qualtiy cooking fat like avocado oil, olive oil, or ghee.
- Salt & Pepper: if you’d like, season the sausage patties on both sides before cooking.
📖 How To Make Homemade Breakfast Sausage
1️⃣ Combine ingredients.
Mix the ground pork and spices in a large bowl until just combined.
2️⃣ Form sausage patties.
Using about a quarter cup of mixture per patty, patty the sausage out into 1/4″ thick rounds.
3️⃣ Heat oil.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
4️⃣ Cook sausage.
Once hot, carefully add the patties (working in batches if necessary), and cook through (about 2 to 3 minutes per side).
♨️ How to Make Breakfast Sausage in the Oven
If you need space on the stovetop to prepare the rest of breakfast, you can cook the sausage in the oven. Here’s how it’s done:
- Preheat your oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray. Set aside while you make the sausage patties.
- Place the sausage patties on the baking sheet, leaving some space in between each and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, flipping halfway through.
🧑🍳 Recipe Tips
- Do not overmix – Mix the sausage ingredients until just combined and then leave the mixture be.
- Do not overwork – When forming the patties try not to overwork the meat or they may become tough and chewy.
- Taste teste – In a pan or in the microwave, cook about a tablespoon of the meat to taste before pattying out the rest. Adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Make thin patties – As the sausage cooks, the patties will shrink, so patty them out to a 1/4″ thickness.
- Sausage crumbles – This sausage is perfect for Whole30 recipes that call for ground sausage. Follow the recipe using the seasoned ground pork mixture.
Meat – Ground pork is interchangeable with turkey, chicken, lamb, buffalo, and ground beef.
Meatless – To make a meat-free sausage, use your favorite plant-based “meat” crumbles.
Herbs – You can also use fresh herbs for flavor; rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley -anything goes!
Dried Fruit – Soft dried fruits like blueberries, cranberries, and golden raisins are a great way to add a touch of sweet, fruity flavor. Shredded apple also works here.
Homemade Breakfast Sausage Spice – Rosemary, thyme, sage, and fennel seed is a solid base for homemade sausage spice. You can also add onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, marjoram, and paprika.
🧊 Storing, Freezing & Reheating
Storing: Keep leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 to 3 days.
Freezing uncooked: Sausage patties can be frozen uncooked or cooked. If raw, place the patties in a freezer-safe container, separating the layers with parchment paper, so they don’t stick together. Freeze for up to a month.
Freezing cooked: After cooling to room temperature, first freeze the patties individually on a baking sheet. Then, transfer the frozen patties to a freezer-safe container and freeze for 1 to 2 months.
Reheating: The patties can be reheated in a pan over medium heat, in the microwave for 30 to 40 seconds, or in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes. If you have an air fryer, 5 minutes at 350 is perfect.
You can. However, to do it properly, you’ll need to pipe the ground meat into sheep casings. That said, it may just be easier to make patties.
Breakfast sausage is a perfect addition to a balanced Whole30 breakfast. Always double-check the ingredients. Serve with mixed greens, scrambled eggs, and avocado for plated fat, and you’re good to go.
The following companies make Whole30 compliant sausage and can be found online or at these various stores: Aidell’s, Pederson’s Natural Farms, Applegate, Bilinski, Teton Waters, Jones Dairy Farm, or even places like Trader Joe’s.
The herbs and spices, of course! Ground pork has a naturally mild flavor that absorbs whatever flavor you add. Typically, sage, rosemary, thyme, and fennel seeds are in sausage, but the sky is the limit.
🍳More Breakfast Recipes
Mexican Breakfast Hash
Instant Pot Breakfast Potatoes
Ground Beef Breakfast Sausage
Instant Pot Breakfast Casserole
5 Ingredient Breakfast Sausage
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- 2 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seed
- ⅛ tsp Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 2 tsp Avocado Oil or olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Combine ground pork with all spices until they are mixed throughout. Do not over mix as meat will become tough.
- Form into flat round patties that are about 1/4 inch thick.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat and cook the patties about 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked through.
I couldn’t find an actual recipe on this post 🙁 great idea, but I needed amounts. Thanks for trying, tho!
Hi, Carole. Happy Monday. The recipe card with the amounts is at the bottom of the post. -Krista (Team Thyme & JOY)