Mexican Breakfast Hash. Sweet potatoes, fresh ground sausage and a blend of peppers and spices inspired by Mexican flavors served together to make the best egg-free Whole30 breakfast.
I love eggs and could eat them with every meal but I also get how people just can't with them. Eggs are a staple in paleo and Whole30 kitchens because they're a quick, convenient and inexpensive protein source but after too many hard-boiled eggs and meal prepped frittata slices, I totally understand needing a break from having eggs for breakfast.
This Mexican breakfast hash is the answer to your no egg Whole30 breakfast needs. For this recipe, my homemade breakfast sausage is made in to crumbles and served with roasted sweet potatoes, spicy peppers and tasty toppings to make this hearty and healthy meal. Enjoy!
🥘 Ingredients You'll Need
For the Whole30 ground breakfast sausage:
- Ground Pork: For the juiciest homemade ground sausage, use a ground pork with 15 to 20% fat.
- Fennel Seed: gives the pork that savory breakfast sausage flavor.
- Poultry Seasoning: adds flavor.
You'll also need:
- Sweet Potatoes (large dice): are lower on the glycemic index than white potatoes so you're less likely to have a sugar crash.
- Peppers/ Poblano Peppers (small dice) & Jalapeno Pepper (minced): add sweet and spicy heat to this dish.
- Red Onion (small dice) & Garlic (minced): enhances the flavors.
- Spices/ Chili Powder, Cumin, & Smoked Paprika: brings spicy, hot and smokey flavors to this dish.
- Avocado Oil: has a high smoking point and is good for cooking foods at hight heat.
- Salt & Pepper (to taste) - brings all of the flavors together.
- Fresh Cilantro (chopped)
- Fresh Lime (cut into wedges)
📖 How to Make Egg Free Breakfast Hash
1️⃣ Roast sweet potatoes:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Meanwhile, dice the sweet potatoes into bite size pieces and toss with a tablespoon of oil. Then, spread the diced potato in a single-layer on a sheet pat. Transfer to the oven and bake until crisp-tender (30 to 40 minutes), flipping halfway through.
2️⃣ Cook homemade ground breakfast sausage:
While the sweet potatoes are roasting, begin the sausage. In a large skillet over medium heat, add remaining oil and heat until hot but not smoking. Add ground pork, fennel and poultry seasoning, stir well and cook until just browned (about 5 minutes).
3️⃣ Add veggies and spices:
To the skillet, add the peppers, onion, garlic and the remaining spices. Cook, stirring often, until the pork is cooked through and the vegetable are soft and tender.
4️⃣ Assemble hash and serve:
In shallow bowls, add a layer of roasted sweet potatoes, followed by the spicy ground meat mixture. Top with fresh cilanto and lime. Enjoy!
👩🏻🍳 Chef's Tips
- Dice the sweet potatoes into small even chunks so they cook evenly.
- Keep an eye on the sweet potatoes as they're roasting as they can go from cooked perfectly to burnt quickly.
- You can use more or less of the seeds and spine from the peppers to adapt how spicy this hash is to your liking.
- Serve with habanero ranch dressing.
🔁 Subtitutions & Variations
- Swap out the sweet potatoes for white potatoes or butternut squash.
- Use a different ground meat: Feel free to swap out the ground pork for ground beef or turkey. Just make sure it has a bit of fat so it doesn't dry out.
- Add a couple of handfuls of spinach or kale to the skillet.
- Serve with more tasty toppings like diced tomato, shredded lettuce, diced onion and sliced avocado.
♻️ Storing & Freezing
Storing: To store this breakfast hash, let everything cool down completely before storing the sweet potatoes and the pork mixture in two separate containers in the fridge for 3 to 4 days.
Freezing: Add any leftover cooled mixture in individual portion freezer safe bags or airtight containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating and serving.
More Whole30 Breakfast Recipes
Yes. Eggs are a whole, real food allowed on paleo and Whole30 as long as they are prepared with compliant ingredients.
Mexican Breakfast Hash | Egg Free Breakfast
- 1 pound Ground pork
- 1 tbsp Fennel Seed
- 2 tsp Poultry Seasoning
- 3 Sweet Potatoes large dice
- 2 Poblano peppers small dice
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper minced
- ½ Red Onion small dice
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- ¼ cup Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 1 Lime cut into wedges
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400.
- Dice up sweet potatoes into bite sized chunks and toss with 1 tbsp of oil. Place on sheet pan and bake in oven for about 30-40 minutes tossing half way through until cooked.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground pork, poultry seasoning and fennel and saute for about 5 minutes before adding the peppers, onion, garlic and remaining spices.
- Saute everything together until meat is cooked through and vegetables are soft.
- Add meat mixture on top of roasted sweet potatoes, top with cilantro and lime.