Vegetable Minestrone Soup is a healthy and hearty soup perfect for a chilly day. This low carb version of vegetable minestrone is made without pasta or beans, so keto and Whole30 dieters can also enjoy this comforting Italian classic.
I love cold weather. Don't get me wrong -I'm not above complaining when temperatures dip below freezing, but I will take Virginia's cooler springs and falls over the year round heat wave in South Carolina ANY DAY.
Now that I can look forward to chilly Virginia weather, I can also look forward to making soups and stew, like this vegetable minestrone soup.
What is Minestrone Soup?
Minestrone is a thick soup of Italian origin made with vegetables, often with the addition of pasta or rice, sometimes both. Common ingredients include beans, onions, celery, carrots, stock, and tomatoes. There is no set recipe for minestrone, since it is usually made out of whatever vegetables you haveWikipedia
This variation of minestrone soup is made without any carb-heavy pasta or beans, so it's ideal for low carb diets. The variety of nutrient-dense vegetables provides plenty of fiber to keep you feeling full until your next meal. This vegetable minestrone soup without noodles is seriously the best.
💗 Why You'll Love this Recipe
- Veggie-loaded. A pot of minestrone is a great way cook with fresh seasonal vegetables and use up extra veggies you may have on hand.
- Cooking options. This soup can be made on the stove or in the Instapot.
- Amazing flavor. The variety of vegetables, herbs and spices bring an incredible depth in flavor to this soup.
- Diet-friendly. Gluten-free, low carb, keto and paleo.
🥘 Ingredients You'll Need
- Onion (diced) & Celery (diced) - The first layer of flavor comes from the aromatics of onion and celery.
- Garlic (minced) - continues to build and enhance flavor.
- Carrot Chips (frozen) & Green Beans (frozen) - Using frozen carrots and green beans keeps them from getting too soft and mushy while simmering. Using frozen also saves you time on prepping.
- Zucchini (diced) - helps thicken the soup and adds another layer of nutritious vegetables.
- Butternut Squash (cubed & precooked) - helps thicken the soup while adding flavor and texture.
- Large Russet Potato (diced) - omit for low carb/Keto.
- Diced Tomato - 14 ounce can.
- Tomato Sauce - You don't need to open a fancy jar of expensive tomato sauce. A simple 14 ounce can is fine.
- Chicken Broth - is the base/liquid component of this minestrone.
- Dried Oregano, Dried Basil, Dried Thyme & Dried Rosemary - enhance flavor and seasons soup.
- Avocado Oil - is used to coat the pot to prevent sticking.
- Salt & Pepper - to taste
More Vegetables You Can Use in Minestrone
- Lima Beans
- Canelli Beans
- Sweet Potato
📖 How to Make Vegetable Minestrone without Pasta
1️⃣ Saute aromatics: In a large stock pot, heat avocado oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add celery, onion, carrots, garlic and dry herbs to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until the vegetables begin to soften and herbs become fragrant (about 5 minutes).
2️⃣ Add remaining vegetables: To the pot, add zucchini, potato, green beans and butternut squash. Stir well and saute until potato begins to soften (about 5 minutes).
3️⃣ Add liquid and simmer: Add chicken broth, diced tomato and tomato sauce. Stir. Raise the heat to HIGH and bring the soup to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes before lowering the heat, bringing the soup down to a simmer. Simmer over low heat until potatoes are completely cooked through (about 1 hour).
4️⃣ Serve hot and enjoy!
⏱️ Instant Pot Minestrone
1️⃣ Set Instant Pot to SAUTE. Add avocado oil to the pot and warm until hot but not smoking. Add celery, onion, carrots, garlic and dry herbs to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until the vegetables begin to soften and herbs become fragrant (about 5 minutes).
2️⃣ Next, add zucchini, potato, green beans and butternut squash. Stir well and continue sauteing until potato begins to soften (about 5 minutes).
3️⃣ Add chicken broth, diced tomato and tomato sauce. Stir. Secure the lid and make sure the pressure valve is sealed. Set the Instant Pot to cook on HIGH PRESSURE for 30 minutes. It will take 10 to 15 minutes to reach temperature.
4️⃣ When the timer goes off, you can let the pressure release naturally or manually release the steam. Stir once more. Serve hot and enjoy.
👩🏻🍳 Chef's Tips
There's really no right or wrong vegetable to toss into a pot of minestrone so get creative, use seasonal vegetables and whatever else you have on hand.
The potato will take the longest to cook through, so be sure to dice the potatoes small and all the same size.
If you can have dairy, place the rind from a wedge of parmesan cheese in the soup while it simmers. This trick adds incredible flavor.
This vegetable minestrone soup without pasta is fantastic as is, but you are welcome to add regular noodles or gluten-free noodles. Boil noodles separately and then add cooked noodles to individual servings of minestrone.
Vegetable minestrone soup can be served as an appetizer with a delicious Italian feast or as a light meal served with a slice of crusty bread (or a simple side salad to keep things diet-friendly).
You can enjoy this minestrone plain or with a variety of mix-ins and toppings.
Before serving, top hot soup with a spoonful of pesto, freshly grated parmesan and cracked black pepper.
You could also beef up this soup quite literally by adding a protein. Seasoned cooked ground beef, cooked shredded chicken or cooked white fish and/or crab meat are great proteins to stir in once the soup is finished.
And if you can tolerate grains and legumes, try adding lima beans, kidney beans, barley, rice, etc.
🔁 Storing & Freezing
Storing - This soup stores very well in the fridge for 5 to 7 days. It can be quickly reheated in the microwave or over low heat on the stove.
Freezing - To freeze, let soup cool completely to room temperature and then freeze in freezer-safe bags or containers for 3 to 4 monhts. The textures of the softer vegetables like zucchini will not be exactly the same once minestrone is frozen and thawed.
It depends on the recipe. To make this vegetable minestrone soup recipe vegetarian and vegan, simply use vegetable broth in place of chicken broth.
The best vegetables for minestrone soup are in-season vegetables you actually enjoy. The options are endless. Pumpkin, butternut squash, zucchini, potato, carrots, green beans, turnips, etc.
The potatoes in vegetable minestrone are a good source of protein. You can add more protein by adding meat, beans any other high-protein vegetables (spinach, sweet potatoes, broccoli, etc).
More Soup Recipes
Vegetable Minestrone Soup
- 1 Medium Onion diced
- 2 tsp Garlic minced
- ½ cup Celery diced
- ½ cup Carrot Chips frozen
- 1 cup Green Beans frozen
- 1 large Zucchini diced
- 1 cup Cubed & Cooked Butternut Squash frozen
- 1 Large Russet Potato diced
- 1 14 oz can Diced Tomato
- 1 14 oz can Tomato Sauce
- 4 cups [Chicken Broth]
- 2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 2 tsp Dried Basil
- 2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- In large stock pot, add 1 tbsp avocado oil and heat over medium high heat.
- Add in carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and all dried herbs and saute for about 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- To the pot, add zucchini, potato, green beans and butternut squash. Saute all together for another 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and canned tomato and stir once again.
- Bring up heat to high until soup comes to a boil. Let it boil for 10 minutes before bring it back town to a low heat or simmer. Simmer at low for about 1 hour or until potatoes are cooked through evenly.
- Use Saute function on instant pot for steps 1-4
- Once all liquid is added and stirred in, cook on manual HIGH pressure for 30 minutes and use a quick or natural release.