Air Fryer Chex Mix
Looking for an easy way to make Chex Mix? Try making this salty, savory snack in your air fryer or Ninja Foodi! Air Fryer Chex Mix is the best after-school snack or party appetizer and can be customized to your favorite flavors!
Chex mix is a popular snack that is made up of various cereals, nuts, and pretzels. The mix is typically coated in a savory seasoning or sauce, which gives it its signature flavor!
This snack has been enjoyed by many for years and is the perfect blend of salty and savory. While typically made in the oven, also super easy to make at home, thanks to your air fryer or Ninja Foodi!
The air fryer may be the best way to make Chex mix because it uses dry circulating heat to toast the mixture evenly and in much less time. You can have a batch of Chex mix ready to go in just 10 minutes or less!
So if you’re looking for an easy, tasty snack that everyone will love, look no further than air fryer chex mix! This recipe is sure to become a new family favorite for the holiday season or to make as a tasty gift.
🥣What You’ll Need
For the snack mix:
- Chex Cereal – A mix of corn, rice, and wheat Chex is needed to create a crunchy texture and nutty flavor as the main ingredient in the mix.
- Mini Pretzels – Adds a hefty dose of crunch and a salty flavor.
- Mixed Nuts – Gives this snack mix a nutty note with various textures and flavors.
- Bagel Chips – Adds more crunchy carbs and salt to the mix and can be plain, garlic, or rye flavored.
For the sauce:
- Butter – Gives the sauce a rich buttery taste and smooth texture.
- Worchestershire Sauce – This classic ingredient in chex mix adds a salty umami flavor that compliments the textures and flavors.
- Dried Seasonings – A mix of garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper is used to balance and enhance the overall flavor of this easy snack mix.
🔥How To Make Chex Mix In Air Fryer
1️⃣Preheat the air fryer: Turn your air fryer to 350F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
2️⃣Make the sauce: Melt the butter in the microwave or stovetop. Whisk in the Worchestershire sauce and dried seasonings until fully combined.
3️⃣Coat with sauce: Add the snack mix ingredients in a large mixing bowl and pour the sauce over the top. Gently toss to fully coat, ensuring each piece is coated in the sauce.
4️⃣Air fry Chex mix: Pour the mixture into the bottom of the air fryer basket and set the timer for 5 minutes. At the halfway point, shake the basket or flip with tongs.
5️⃣Remove and serve: Pour the Chex mix onto parchment paper and cool for 5 minutes to get even more crispy. Once fully cooled, enjoy!
👩🏻🍳Chex Mix Cooking Tips
- Don’t have an air fryer? No problem! You can also bake this Chex mix recipe in the oven at 350F for 15-20 minutes.
- The best time and temperature to cook Chex mix in the air fryer depends on how hot your air fryer gets and the ingredients used. A good place to start is 350F for 5 minutes. Feel free to adjust the cooking time as needed.
- Once the snack mix is removed from the air fryer, the nuts will be very hot inside. Allow the mix to cool for a few minutes before enjoying to avoid burning your mouth.
- If you want extra crunchy Chex mix, air fry the mixture for an additional minute or two. Just be sure to keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn!
The best chex mix flavor is whatever you enjoy! You can add so many different flavors or mix-ins to make it your own! Try these fun ideas below!
- Sweet and savory Chex Mix: Add in some chocolate chips, dried fruit, or a sprinkle of sugar for a sweet and savory mix.
- Spicy Chex Mix: Add in some cayenne pepper, chili powder, or hot sauce for a spicy kick.
- Herby Chex Mix: Mix in some dried thyme, oregano, or basil for a herby flavor.
- Ranch Chex Mix: Add in a ranch seasoning packet, homemade ranch seasoning, or some dried dill for a ranch flavor.
- Buffalo Chex Mix: Add in some hot sauce and omit the Worcestershire sauce for a Buffalo flavor.
- Cajun Chex Mix: Add in some Cajun seasoning for a spicy, flavorful mix.
What are the brown pieces in Chex Mix?
The brown pieces in Chex Mix are usually rye bagel chips also known as Gardetto’s. They add a nice crunch and savory flavor to the mix.
How do you make Chex Mix not soggy?
The key to making Chex Mix not soggy is to air fry it or bake it in the oven. This will create a nice crispy texture that isn’t soggy. You’ll also want to ensure it is completely cooled before storing it as the nuts can retain moisture while hot.
Can you air fry dry cereal?
Yes, however, a coating of oil or sauce will help it crisp up evenly and not burn as quickly if it was dry.
Can I make gluten free Chex mix?
Simply use gluten free cereal and pretzels in place of the traditional Chex mix ingredients. You’ll also want to use a gluten free Worcestershire sauce.
How long does air fryer Chex mix last?
Properly stored, air fryer Chex mix will last for about two weeks. You’ll want to store it in an airtight container after cooling to keep it fresh and crispy.
🍿More Easy Air Fryer Snack Recipes
- Air Fryer Pumpkin Seeds
- Air Fryer Spam Fries
- Air Fryer Toasted Ravioli
- Air Fryer Frozen Cauliflower Wings
Air Fryer Chex Mix
- air fryer or Ninja Foodi
- 3 cups Corn Chex® cereal
- 3 cups Rice Chex® cereal
- 3 cups Wheat Chex® cereal
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- 1 cup mini pretzels
- 1 cup bagel chips
For the sauce:
- 6 tablespoons Butter melted, unsalted
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Turn your air fryer to 350F and preheat for 3-5 minutes.
- Melt the butter in the microwave or stovetop. Whisk in the Worcestershire sauce and dried seasonings until fully combined.
- Add the snack mix ingredients in a large mixing bowl and pour the sauce over the top. Gently toss to fully coat, ensuring each piece is coated in the sauce.
- Pour the mixture into the bottom of the air fryer basket and set the timer for 5 minutes. At the halfway point, shake the basket or flip with tongs.
- Pour the Chex mix onto parchment paper and cool for 5 minutes to get even more crispy. Once fully cooled, enjoy!