Air Fryer Hibachi Chicken and Vegetables -flavorful chicken and fork-tender vegetables cooked to perfection in the air fryer. Served with a side of homemade yum yum sauce and rice, this delicious recipe is the next best thing to a meal from a Japanese steakhouse.
Eating at a Japanese steakhouse is a dining experience like no other. Sitting with strangers, volcanic onions and never being able to catch the shrimp in your mouth are just a few reasons to love the experience, but the best reason is obviously the food.
As much as I love the theatrics of dining in a Japanese steakhouse, having a chef prepare a meal for me right before my eyes every time I'm craving hibachi isn't exactly feasible. Unfortunately.
Per usual, the amazing air fryer saves the day! Believe it or not, you can make a Japanese steakhouse-quality meal right in your air fryer. Perfectly cooked hibachi chicken, tender-crisp flavorful vegetables AND homemade yum yum sauce ALL from the comfort of your home! 🙂
💓 Why Make Hibachi Chicken in the Air Fryer
Budget-friendly! Preparing a hibachi-style meal at home costs significantly less than dining out.
Tastes like the real deal. The tender pieces of chicken and vegetables taste just like you ordered it from a Japanese steakhouse.
Healthy. This recipe is made-from0scratch with fresh ingredients (gluten-free, paleo and Whole30).
THE YUM YUM SAUCE. You're going to want to put the homemade hibachi sauce on EVERYTHING.
🍗 Ingredients You’ll Need
- Chicken Breast - You can also use boneless, skinless chicken thighs if you like.
- The Vegetables - I used sliced red onion and quartered zucchini and squash. Japanese steakhouse vegetable medleys sometimes include mushrooms, thinly sliced carrots and green beans. Feel free to mix and match.
- Garlic - builds and enhances Umami flavor.
- Roasted Sesame Oil - is commonly used in Japanese cuisine. It adds deep, nutty flavor to dishes.
- Coconut Aminos - are a great alternative to soy sauce and tamari but those work great in this recipe as well.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - helps tenderize the chicken and build on flavor.
For the Hibachi Sauce:
- Mayonnaise - is the base of the sauce.
- Ketchup (or tomato paste) - adds sweet, tangy flavor and enhances color.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - loosens mayo into a slightly thinner consistency and adds flavor.
- Coconut Aminos - or tamari or soy sauce (if not Whole30).
📖 How to Make Air Fryer Hibachi Chicken
1️⃣ Prep chicken and vegetables: Pat chicken dry with a paper towel and chop into ½" to 1" pieces. Cut zucchini and squash into ½" to 1" pieces. Cut onion into ½" slices. Mince garlic. Add prepped ingredients to a large bowl.
2️⃣ Add flavoring: In a small bowl, mix together sesame oil, coconut aminos and apple cider vinegar. Add mixture to the bowl with the chicken and vegetables. Gently toss until everything is fully coated.
3️⃣ Air fry chicken and vegetables: Preheat air fryer to 375 degrees. Once preheated, add chicken and vegetable mixture to the air fryer basket. Cook until chicken and vegetables are evenly cooked through (about 20 to 30 minutes). Make sure to give the air fryer basket a good toss every 5 to 8 minutes to promote even cooking.
4️⃣ Make sauce. While the chicken and vegetables are cooking, mix all hibachi sauce ingredients together until smooth and creamy.
5️⃣ Serve. Once cooked through, carefully remove hibachi chicken and vegetables from air fryer. Serve with a side of sauce for dipping/drizzling and enjoy.
- If you have time, let the chicken and vegetables marinate in the coconut aminos mixture for at least 30 minutes.
- Try to cut everything into the same size and shape so that the chicken and vegetables cook evenly.
- Don't worry about cooking the chicken and vegetables in a single even-layer. The food will shrink as it cooks making more space for airflow.
- With that said, your air fryer basket still shouldn't be overcrowded. Depending on the size of your air fryer basket you may need to work in batches.
- Be sure to toss the fryer basket frequently so everything cooks evenly.
What to Serve with Hibachi Chicken and Vegetables
Many restaurants give you the option of having your meal served with your choice or white rice, fried rice or stir-fried Udon noodles.
In addition to those delicious sides, hibachi chicken is great served over a bed of fluffy cauliflower rice, with spiralized veggies and with fresh greens.
🔁 Storing & Freezing
Storing - If you happen to have any leftovers, they will last up to 4 days stored in an airtight container in the fridge. I don't recommend freezing this one.
The term isn't describing the flavor of the food but the flat open-range cook surface used to cook the food.
You'll almost always find yum yum sauce at a Japanese steakhouse. Ginger sauce is also popular.
More Chicken Dinner Recipes
Air Fryer Hibachi Chicken and Vegetables
- Air Fryer or Ninja Foodi
- 1 lb Chicken Breast medium dice
- 1 Red Onion sliced
- 1 Zucchini quartered
- 1 Yellow Squash quartered
- 2 tsp Garlic minced
- 2 tbsp Roasted Sesame Oil
- 2 tbsp Coconut Aminos or soy sauce, or tamari
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
Yum Yum Sauce
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Coconut Aminos or soy sauce, tamari
- Prepare vegetables by chopping chicken into medium sized cubes. Slice the zucchini into ¼ inch rounds, then quarter. Slice the onion lengthwise. Add all chopped ingredients to a bowl along with the minced garlic.
- Add in sesame oil, coconut aminos, and apple cider vinegar. Toss fully until all of the chicken and vegetable mixture is fully coated.
- Preheat your air fryer to 375F. Once preheated, add seasoned chicken and vegetable mixture. Toss every 5-8 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are cooked through. This will take roughly 20-30 minutes depending on the size of your vegetables.
- Remove from air fryer with tongs and serve with rice. Add yum yum sauce on the side or drizzle on top of chicken and vegetables. Serve hot.