This Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie recipe captures the essence of classic pumpkin pie in a store-bought pie shell with a 6-ingredient pie filling and the assistance of the amazing air fryer or Ninja Foodi.
Can you make pumpkin pie in the air fryer? 🤔 YES! If the size of your air fryer basket permits, you can bake a WHOLE pumpkin pie in the air fryer, and these easy-to-follow instructions will show you exactly how it’s done!
This air fryer thanksgiving dessert recipe comes together in 35 minutes with only seven ingredients. It’s fuss-free and almost impossible to mess up, so you can focus on the rest of the holiday spread.
It can even be made in the Ninja! This pumpkin pie Ninja Foodi version takes the timeless classic and gives it a delightful air-fried twist. Whether it’s a special holiday gathering, a weekend treat, or just a day when you’re feeling a tad more indulgent, this airfryer pumpkin pie fits right in. Plus, for those with a can of pumpkin in their pantry, we’ve got you covered with some awesome air fryer canned pumpkin recipes.
♨ Benefits of Making Pumpkin Pie In The Air Fryer
- Simple to make. You don’t need a special set of baking skills for this one. You can use a premade pie crust, so this air fryer dessert recipe is perfect for anyone new to baking.
- Leaves the oven open. This makes one less dish to worry about fitting in the oven with the rest of the holiday fare.
- Year-round pumpkin pie! The ease and convenience of this baking method makes homemade pumpkin pie easily accessible any day of the year.
🥧 Ingredients You’ll Need
- Pie Crust – If you have a tried-and-true pie crust recipe, by all means, use it, but the convenience of a store-bought refrigerated pie crust is hard to resist (especially during the chaos of preparing a holiday feast).
- Pumpkin Puree – Be sure to use a can of pure pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling, which is sweetened and pre-spiced. If you accidentally use a can of pumpkin pie filling, the pie will be VERY sweet (too sweet) and overly pumpkin spiced.
- Heavy Whipping Cream – This gets whisked into the pumpkin puree to thin it out and make a silky, rich, and fluffy pie filling.
- Egg – Adds strength and structure to the filling, so it holds up as it bakes and sets properly.
- Brown Sugar – Sweetens the pie filling. You can also use coconut sugar or maple sugar here.
- Cornstarch – Cornstarch doesn’t need much time to activate and thicken the pie filling, so it’s perfect for quick air fryer baking.
- Pumpkin Pie Spice – This aromatic blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger gives the pie its classic warm, cozy, and fall-spiced flavor.
🥣 How To Make Pumpkin Pie In Air Fryer
1️⃣ Whisk pie filling ingredients. Add the pumpkin puree, heavy whipping cream, egg, brown sugar, cornstarch, and pumpkin pie spice to a large mixing bowl, and whisk until smooth and combined.
2️⃣ Assemble crust with pie filling. Place the pie crust on top of the pie plate and crimp the edges if needed. Then, pour the pumpkin pie filling into the crust in an even layer.
3️⃣ Air fry pumpkin pie. After preheating your air fryer to 350°F, place the pie pan directly in the air fryer basket. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the filling is set and no longer jiggles.
4️⃣ Chill and serve. Let the pie cool for 15 minutes, then place it in the fridge to chill for 2-3 hours before serving with whipped cream or ice cream. Enjoy!
👩🏻🍳 Chef’s Tips
- First and foremost, ensure your air fryer basket is large enough to fit an 8″ pie pan or pie dish (also, be sure it’s oven-safe).
- I mentioned this above, but it’s important! Be sure to use pure pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling. The cans are similar and easy to mix up.
- For the best results, set the refrigerated ingredients out 10-15 minutes before mixing, so they’re closer to room temperature before mixing.
- At the halfway mark, sneak a peak. If the filling is browning too quickly on the top, loosely cover the pie plate with tin foil.
- The precise time it takes to bake pumpkin pie in the air fryer will vary based on the wattage and functionality of your equipment.
- To check for doneness, slice through the center with a sharp knife. It should come out clean, and the filling shouldn’t move much as you pull the knife away.
- The pie must be chilled after baking. This is because the filling will continue to firm as it cools.
🍽 How To Serve Pumpkin Pie
Once chilled and set, you can serve air fryer pumpkin pie straight from the fridge or at room temperature. Serve individual slices a la mode with vanilla ice cream and a dollop of whipped cream.
Have a pot of coffee brewing to sip with this sweet and creamy pumpkin pie. After a huge holiday meal, you may need the caffeinated pick-me-up.
🧊 Storing & Freezing
Storing: Refrigerate leftover pumpkin pie wrapped loosely in plastic or foil in the fridge for 3-4 days. Enjoy chilled or at room temperature.
Freezing: Wrap single slices or the whole pie pan tightly with plastic or foil, and place in a freezer-safe ziptop bag. Freeze for up to 1 month.
How do I know when pumpkin pie is done?
Pumpkin pie is done when the filling is set but still slightly wobbly in the center, and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Overbaking can cause the filling to crack.
How long does it take to cool pumpkin pie?
It’s recommended to let pumpkin pie cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours. This allows the pie to set properly and makes for easier slicing.
How long does pumpkin pie filling last in the fridge?
Pumpkin pie filling can last in the fridge for about 3-4 days if stored in an airtight container. Always check for signs of spoilage before use.
🦃More Thanksgiving Recipes
- Spiced Apple Cider Muffins
- Thanksgiving Cocktails
- Air Fryer Turkey Wings
- Air Fryer Turkey Legs
- Air Fryer Turkey Breast
- Air Fryer Mashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Maple Cinnamon Butternut Squash
- Gluten-free Stuffing
- Riced Cauliflower Stuffing
- Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce
- Keto Cranberry Sauce
- Mini Pecan Pie Tarts
- Gluten-free Peanut Butter Pie
Air Fryer Pumpkin Pie
- air fryer like a Ninja Foodi, NuWave, or Power XL
- 8" pie plate or oven-safe dish
- large mixing bowl
- 1 pie crust store-bought or homemade in advance
- 1 cup pumpkin puree roughly half of a 15 ounce can
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- Add the pumpkin puree, heavy whipping cream, egg, brown sugar, cornstarch, and pumpkin pie spice to a large mixing bowl, and whisk until smooth and combined.
- Place the pie crust on top of the pie plate and crimp the edges if needed. Then, pour the pumpkin pie filling into the prepared crust.
- Preheat the air fryer to 350°F for 3-5 minutes, then place the pie pan in the air fryer basket. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the filling is set and no longer jiggles.
- Let the pie cool for 15 minutes, then place it in the fridge to chill for 2-3 hours before serving with whipped cream or ice cream. Enjoy!