This shredded BBQ chicken salad is a great twist on classic chicken salad. Put it in a sandwich, on top of a salad or use as a dip with crackers and vegetables for a healthy meal that is easily meal prepped.
SCROLL TO BOTTOM FOR RECIPE
Recently, my husband came home gloating about an idea someone had from work. They simply mixed canned tuna with BBQ sauce and put it on a sandwich.
My first reaction was pretty bad. I’m not sure why, but I was pretty grossed out at the idea of tuna and bbq sauce together.
However, if it was chicken then I would be totally on board!
I created this cold shredded bbq chicken with that thought in mind and it turned out really well. We always see classic chicken salad, buffalo chicken salad and even curry chicken salad, why not give BBQ sauce a shot?
What BBQ sauce is best for chicken?
There are SO many types of BBQ sauce out there to choose from. You can even make your own!
For me, I prefer BBQ sauce that doesn’t have any added sugar and is made with clean ingredients.
My favorite BBQ sauce to use is this Classic BBQ Sauce made by the New Primal. It’s perfectly tangy, sweet and flavorful with no junk in it whatsoever.
Cooking and Shredding Chicken for Salad:
There are 2 things you can do to make perfectly shredded chicken for chicken salads:
- Boil chicken breasts until fully cooked and shred with 2 forks OR for the easiest method for shredded chicken, cook chicken (even from frozen) in your instant pot and use a stand mixer to shred.
- Purchase a rotisserie chicken! Yep, let someone else do the work for you so you can enjoy time doing other things. Simply take meat and skin off of a cooked rotisserie chicken and shred with 2 forks or a stand mixer. Don’t forget to save the bones for easy bone broth!
How to Make Shredded BBQ Chicken Salad:
- Dice up a half cup of celery and a quarter cup of onion.
- Add to a large bowl along with 2 cups of shredded chicken.
- Add in 1/2 cup of homemade mayo and 1/2 cup BBQ sauce.
- Stir everything together until fully combined. Adjust BBQ sauce to taste.
Serve shredded bbq chicken salad on a sandwich, on top of a salad or use as a dip with crackers and vegetables!
- Serve cold.
- Will last in fridge in a sealed container for up to one week.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228 Total Fat: 17g Carbohydrates: 6g Protein: 13g
Valerie Skinner is a Whole30 approved personal chef & recipe developer that bridges the gap between healthy eating and busy lives by providing simple healthy meals and recipes for you and your family.