Enhance your favored recipes with homemade Mushroom Salt. This 2-ingredient seasoned salt is a great way to elevate the savory-umami flavors in your favorite dishes. Perfect for roasts, steaks, french fries, popcorn, and so much more!
When it comes to quality, inexpensive spice blends, Trader Joe’s nails it every time, the “Mushroom & Company Multi-purpose Umami Seasoning Blend” is life-changing. This homemade mushroom salt captures the essence of the Trader Joe’s version with two ingredients; mushrooms and salt.
Even the mushroom haters agree that mushroom salt is a spice rack staple. It elevates every ingredient with a deep umami flavor and magically makes food richer, earthier, and irresistibly savory.
Plus, you take in the magic of mushrooms whenever you cook with mushroom salt. Mushrooms are a fantastic source of antioxidants, B vitamins, and vitamin D. I use mushroom salt to enhance anything savory, and food has never tasted so good.
💗 Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Only 2 ingredients -mushrooms and salt!
- It’s good on EVERYTHING -meats, veggies, snacks, you name it.
- It makes the perfect homemade gift for the foodes in your life.
- DIY seasoning salt leaves plenty of room for customizations.
🍄 Ingredients You’ll Need
- Sea Salt: I love sea salt. It’s a natural source of sodium and minimally processed, but dont break the bank on it. Asian grocery stores and places like TJ MAXX and Home Goods sell jars of premium sea sal for CHEAP. You can also use himalayan pink salt or kosher salt.
- Dried Mushroom Blend: Using a variety of dried mushrooms builds complex flavor. Check your local health food store, Asian market, or shop for a blend online. I scored a bag from World Market for $7.99. You can also dry your own mushrooms, but more on that later.
📖 How To Make Homemade Mushroom Salt
1️⃣ Blend mushrooms.
Add your dried mushroom to a high-speed blender. Pulse a few times to chop them into a coarse meal. Then, blend the mixture until it becomes a mushroom powder.
2️⃣ Whisk mushroom powder and salt.
Add the mushroom powder and salt to a bowl and whisk to combine. Use your homemade mushroom salt to season everything! Enjoy.
👉 Recipe Tips
- Use fresh ingredients – The beauty of mushroom salt is the flavor deepens the longer it’s stored, but your ingredients must be fresh. Make sure neither the sea salt or mushrooms are nearing expiration.
- DIY deyhrated mushrooms – With a dehydrator, drying your own blend of mushrooms is super simple. Place them in the dehydrator (leaving space in between each) and dehydrate for 4 to 8 hours or until the mushrooms are dry and brittle.
Make this mushroom salt your own with different types of yummy mushrooms, herbs, and flavors. Check out the list below for ideas:
- Herbs – Get creative with various dried herbs like rosemary, thyme, sage, marjoram, parsley, dill, and taragon.
- Spices – Give your mushroom salt a kick with paprika, chili powder, cayenne, cumin, and red pepper flakes.
- Mushrooms – You can use cremini, oyster, portabella, porcini, shiitake, and maiitake (just to name a few).
- Wild mushrooms – If you’re into foraging, homemade mushroom powder is a great way to preserve what you’ve picked. A blend of morels, chanterelle, and hen of the woods sounds amazing.
🍽️ Ways to Use Mushroom Salt
Swap the salt with mushroom salt in your favorite savory foods. The options are truly endless, but here are a few ideas:
🧊 Storing & Freezing
Storing: Store your mushroom salt in sterilized empty spice containers or mason jars, and use it to season all of the things. Store in the pantry for up to 6 months.
Freezing: Not recommended (homemade seasoned salt is best stored in a dry, cool place).
At its core, mushroom seasoning is made with dried mushrooms and salt. However, you can use a variety of dried mushrooms and customize your blend with different herbs and spices.
To season anything and everything savory (meats, veggies, casseroles, soups, sauces, seafood, etc.).
No. Your mushrooms must be dehydrated.
More Condiment Recipes
Ranch Seasoning without Buttermilk
Primal Kitchen Mayo Copycat
Habanero Ranch Dressing
Mushroom Salt | DIY Recipe
- 1 high-speeed blender
- 1 bowl
- 1 Whisk
- 2½ ounces dried mushroom blend
- 1 cup seal salt or kosher salt
- Add dried mushroom blend to a high speed blender and pulse until it is a coarse meal consistency. Then, increase the speed and blend into a powder.
- Add mushroom powder to a bowl and whisk in the sea salt until fully blended. Store in empty spice jars or mason jars and use it to season everything!